Skoda Yeti instrument cluster replacement

suvolens

Hi,

My 2011 Yeti developed a fault in the instrument cluster that caused half of the tach backlights to remain off at all times.

Once the service center checked the fault, it was determined that the entire console would need replacement. Fortunately, at 30000 kms, this is covered under warranty.

Problem is, the techs are saying (I'm sitting at the workshop, waiting for the replacement to happen even as I write) that replacing the cluster will reset all odo rains to zero.

That's inconvenient! Isn't there a way the original readings can be restored from memory?

Would really appreciate an insight from more experienced members in this forum.

This is what Ross-Tech's FAQs say about adjusting a brand new odometer.

Can I use VCDS to roll back my electronic odometer?

No. VCDS cannot be used to change odometer readings, with one exception: The odometer reading on a brand new instrument cluster (with less than 100 km / 62 miles on it) can be increased, one time only. Of course, this assumes that the instrument cluster is new enough cluster to be "diagnostics capable"; as a general rule most 1998 and newer instrument clusters are.

I would be surprised if a Skoda dealer, using factory equipment, could not reset the mileage one time only on a new odometer (instrument cluster) to read the same as the faulty one being replaced - assuming that the old reading is recoverable.

• Like 1

This is what Ross-Tech's FAQs say about adjusting a brand new odometer.

Can I use VCDS to roll back my electronic odometer?

No. VCDS cannot be used to change odometer readings, with one exception: The odometer reading on a brand new instrument cluster (with less than 100 km / 62 miles on it) can be increased, one time only. Of course, this assumes that the instrument cluster is new enough cluster to be "diagnostics capable"; as a general rule most 1998 and newer instrument clusters are.

I would be surprised if a Skoda dealer, using factory equipment, could not reset the mileage one time only on a new odometer (instrument cluster) to read the same as the faulty one being replaced - assuming that the old reading is recoverable.

Thanks all for your feedback.

DWG - you're right (and the service advisor was apparently wrong) - Skoda did manage to restore my original odo reading on the new console. However, it must have been set manually, since its missing a few kilometers in favour of a rounded reading. I can live with that!

Have Yetis become prone to the same type of instrument cluster problems that used to commonly befall Renault Scenics of the 2004-2006 era then? Or is this just an isolated handful? Just wondering as my Yeti is just out of warranty now.

There were a number of companies and individuals who offered fast turnround repair services on the Scenic clusters. At around a tenth the cost of a new unit. And those kept the mileage reading.

I don't think we have seen ANY other reports.

And I wonder whether the cluster is one of the parts that Skoda India produce there and do not import from CZ.

I thought I'd read of two on this thread, but looking back its just the one isolated case then, with a quote repeat. Perhaps that's what confused? Nowt to worry about after all. Ooops - that's how malicious rumours start? Apols.

Anyway, the point about there being a host of electronic dashboard display repairers out there remains valid. Experience with the Scenic suggests the work they do is generally very good.

• Like 2

Mine was replaced a month or so ago following the failure of the temperature gauge needle illumination. It was posted on here at the time but I can't find it now after a (quick) search. I didn't think to make a note of the mileage recorded at the time, but it's certainly reading very close to the expected value now. Both keys were re-programmed at the time.

S_M