Speeding points - Not for us all?

Dean-

I were talking to to a colleague today about speeding points, he is originally from France - He were telling me if he gets caught speeding in the UK the police cannot issue him points as he has a french license, they just issue him a fine??

He was shocked when I said I didn't know that and he said it has been going on for years, A driver will get caught then ask a polish friend to take the wrap for it so the driver doesn't get points???

Anyone heard of this before or do you think he is mislead?

You cannot drive permanently here on a French license and you have to get a UK one (if you are a resident here ) after 3 years . Then any points etc goes on

You cannot drive permanently here on a French license and you have to get a UK one (if you are a resident here ) after 3 years . Then any points etc goes on

So within those three years they cant get points?

Unless it's another EU country then I believe you don't have to get a UK licence.

EDIT: your right, just read about it. Best tell my Romanian work colleague as he has been her 4 years now as a resident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by mluton

As far as I'm aware, the details of the driver will be sent to the DVLA and a 'notional' record will be created

That way if he reaches 12 points within 3 years he could still be liable to be disqualified from driving in the UK

Roll on Europe-wide legislation :)

• Like 1

You can drive for 12 months and then must get a UK provisional license/get your license swapped for a UK license if from a country that the UK recognises as issuing suitable drivers licenses.

OR

You can drive down to Dover, hop on an overnight trip to Calais and get the 12 months reset to zero; in theory this is not allowed - in practise, someone I used to know was doing it for over 10 years.

Edited by GentleGiant

Didn't realise you could get points on a toting up system on a overseas licence. So if the person then gets a UK one they will show on that one

That's it, otherwise they could just drive like a complete knobber without fear of repercussion

The law says that a person's driving licence shall be endorsed for endorseable offences, so if they don't have one, or have a foreign one, we have to create one

As far as I'm aware, the details of the driver will be sent to the DVLA and a 'notional' record will be created

That way if he reaches 12 points within 3 years he could still be liable to be disqualified from driving in the UK

Roll on Europe-wide legislation :)

This is correct when you tot up on your uk driver record you will be disqualified in the uk!!

Page last updated 19th February 2009 :D

Yeah. Still makes me giggle though :)

There's a Polish guy who works here who has a .... interesting ... approach to road safety. For a long time he didn't even bother wearing his seat belt, it took a lot of pestering from us all and many links to horrific YouTube videos to convince him he was wrong. Says he gets away with murder if he ever gets pulled over by the cops as well because he just says in his best broken english that he's Polish and hasn't been here long, didn't understand etc.

Makes me angry actually :(

Yeah. Still makes me giggle though :)

There's a Polish guy who works here who has a .... interesting ... approach to road safety. For a long time he didn't even bother wearing his seat belt, it took a lot of pestering from us all and many links to horrific YouTube videos to convince him he was wrong. Says he gets away with murder if he ever gets pulled over by the cops as well because he just says in his best broken english that he's Polish and hasn't been here long, didn't understand etc.

Makes me angry actually :(

A fine example for imposing quotas :)

I know that you could do that between Ireland and the UK but im sure this year the system is being changed so your points will go with you to wherever your licence is held....and only this year insurance companies are automatically informed of any points!!! Before if you had points you were not legally compelled to tell your insurance company and nor could the insurance check!!...but times have changed!!!

kit :)

If you have an EU licence you can drive with it indefinitely within any country within the EU, including the UK. If you wish, you can exchange your EU licence for a UK one without needing to take a test (as we can if we go to another EU country).

If you are from a country with which we have reciprocal arrangements (eg Australia, Canada, Japan etc) you have to exchange your licence for a UK one after 12 months but there is no need for a test..

From other countries you are ok for 12 months, after which you have to take a UK test to get a UK licence.

I have been out in the car with a few Polish drivers recently, they have been better than a lot of UK drivers!

• Like 2

:|

Wrong way round, IMO. Whichever is shorter would be more acceptable.

I think it's correct, you can drive in the uk until you're 70 so if you are only 30 then you have another 40 years of driving.

I believe points are added to your licence one way or another and non EU licences last 12 months. The whole going to calis for a day is rubbish too, I believe it has to be 6 months before it resets.

I guy i work with, hes abit of a helmet to be honest. He was born in england but moved to france as a teenager with his parents, passed his driving test in france and now lives in england hes been using his french licence in england & wales for over 20years

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I worked somewhere once where a polish bloke was kept on the books and company

vehicle insurance policy so that if any of the Directors (or people within the firm held

in high esteem by said directors) were caught by a camera committing an

endorsable offence it could be bounced on to him. It was worth his 15k salary

apparently just to have a stooge on the firm. I doubt its the only example of

this that's ever gone on.

(The guy is back in Poland now and this is no longer going on anymore after his dodgy

child allowance claim for 3 kids that didn't even reside in the UK was uncovered by

the DSS, so no stranger to exploiting the rules then eh... )

I used to know of two people living and driving in the UK for years, but still using their old licenses - one Czech and one Columbian, the Columbian completely ignored every speed limit and road restriction - and had done for as long as I knew him; Malvern to Central London - which at legal speeds takes about 3.5 hours, he regularly did in under 2 hours; since speeds in Central London are slow due to traffic volumes, this means he was doing 100+ on the way there and back EVERY DAY.

How come he still had a license and could still insure a car?? (Black VW Golf VR6)

(Other than the probably "white powder" connections).

(Very large gardens surrounded by 20ft glass topped walls and patrolled by rottweilers - go figure).

(Before the rozzers come knocking and asking questions - he moved a couple of years ago - I dont know where.)

The same thing applies to us if we relocate or drive in mainland Europe. Unless you are stopped by a roadside Gendarme, Guardia Civil etc. then you will not here a thing regarding a motoring offence in Europe with your UK registered car. If we are stopped, then as UK license holders we simply get a fine which is usually paid on the spot, whereas locals now receive points / bans / fines etc.