Whats delivery like?

You could be right Alex..As I understand it, the Roomster is now being made on the new production line at Kvashiny and various tweeks have been made for the my2014, suspension may well be one of them. Hope your right.

Edited by paully
  • Like 1

Strangely enough when we first had a mornings test drive in a dealers demonstraitor it was noiser than another test drive with a demonstraitor from another dealor who we bought our Roomster from, both road noise and engine noise also the firmness of the suspension was less harsh and a better ride who we eventualy. The one we have just bought is a great drive, I was wondering if the factory has changed the setup of the car reciently.

Could be down to the tyres. Tyre brands make a huge difference to road noise levels and ride quality. I switched my last Octavia from Bridgestones to Michelin Primacy 3 - road noise dropped from a roar to a whisper and the ride became much firmer. Different wheel sizes will also change the ride and road noise - Roomsters are supplied on 15 or 16 inch wheels - larger the wheels, the lower profile the tyre so the firmer the ride. Mine has been supplied with Continentals in its 15" wheels and they give a very quiet smooth ride, especially compared to my last Octavia with 17" wheels and sports suspension.

• Like 1

FYI the changes in June made the protective side mouldings an option on the SE trim - they were standard before. Was slightly disappointed by their absence on the new Roomster that we collected today- hadn't been made aware that they weren't standard any more, so was expecting them to be there. Have asked the dealer what can be done to sort it out.

The car's otherwise fine - though haven't actually had much time to play with it yet. I'll try to post some picture of it at some point - Regency Green doesn't seem to be a very common colour, but actually suits the roomster pretty well.

BTW, does anyone know anything about the child-controlling mirror mentioned above? I'd find it useful (two kids to control with it), but couldn't find any info about it... would be interested to know if it's easy to add on.

From what I can gather SUK have`nt been very forthcoming about what the YM14 does and doesnt contain.They still havent updated their website :wall: but thanks for that I`ll take it up with the dealers and Skoda themselves. The mirror is something I want to keep an eye on the Grand daughter but nobody has a clue about how to get one :rock: ..anyway glad you have got yours and are loving it..nice to hear..how long did delivery take?

I ordered it early May, it was built in the first week of June and was at the dealers by last weekend.

I'd recommend seeing if you can get the child mirror - did the first trip in the car with the kids today, and it's hard to see what's going on back there with the normal rear-view mirror

• Like 1

Freshcheese

In your debt, after diligant enquiries it appears as follows...The Child mirror is only available on non UK spec vehicles (seems we dont matter to them) while ESC (traction control) is standard (good of them) the rubbing strips are now an optional extra on the SE as you said. However I was supplied with an out of date brochure by DM Keith, the dealers, and specced it from that. Now kicking up *&$T and demanding that the order be changed before it gets built next week..hmm see where that gets me eh...The definitive answer from SUK is that the rubbing strips are not available for a retro dealer fit..The strips are only available from the factory..

I got invited to a Skoda backed and funded VIP event where they didnt even cotton on that the **********brochures were out of date and not valid  :wall:   If it wasnt so annoying it really would be laughable.......still thinking of telling them to shove it and refund my deposit and go elsewhere....

Post script...Dennis Horton Skoda, Lincoln have just confirmed that they do actually stock these strips both sides for £28 and they are proper Skoda rubber mouldings and not after market parts...I honestly wonder how Skoda UK manage to stay in business...German efficiency my A**e

Edited by paully

The Child mirror is only available on non UK spec vehicles (seems we dont matter to them) while ESC (traction control) is standard (good of them) the rubbing strips are now an optional extra on the SE as you said. However I was supplied with an out of date brochure by DM Keith, the dealers, and specced it from that. Now kicking up *&$T and demanding that the order be changed before it gets built next week..hmm see where that gets me eh...The definitive answer from SUK is that the rubbing strips are not available for a retro dealer fit..The strips are only available from the factory..

I got invited to a Skoda backed and funded VIP event where they didnt even cotton on that the **********brochures were out of date and not valid  :wall:   If it wasnt so annoying it really would be laughable.......still thinking of telling them to shove it and refund my deposit and go elsewhere....

Re the child mirror:

With the standard mirror it gives vision of the kid on the nearside but your own head gets in the way of the view of the kid sitting behind you.  Don't see how a different design of mirror would help you to see around or through your own head!  If it is that important just get some little stick on mirrors like driving instructors use.

Re the brochure

The brochure is printed media.  As a user of the internet you surely understand that it is out of date the instant it is printed.  And they do carry the caveat "Reserve the right to update the spec".  The online configurator should be taken with a pinch of salt - told me that if I wanted metallic on my SE that it would cost £450 and that maxidot was included with the Amundsen+ - both wrong.  In 7yrs of Skoda ownership my one and only gripe is that their publicity material (website and brochures) are very poor and the owners handbooks even worse.

Re the rubbing strips

Only available as a factory fit?  Ballcocks!!  They are fitted to mine.  What if some scumbag wipes my door with their bumper?  Are they saying that the bodyshop will reskin the door but won't be able to fit a bump strip so I get 3 doors with and 1 without?  I don't think so!!  DMK have a bodyshop in Leeds - they MUST be able to source and retro-fit them!

Re walking away

Don't do that!  You will regret it!!  1000 miles on mine now and loving it more each day.

• Like 2

I ordered it early May, it was built in the first week of June and was at the dealers by last weekend.

I'd recommend seeing if you can get the child mirror - did the first trip in the car with the kids today, and it's hard to see what's going on back there with the normal rear-view mirror

It's been 2 years since I bought this:

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgusa/safety1st/travel-safety/front-or-back-babyview-mirror

and must say it works fairly well, except it steals a bit of view if you install it onto the windscreen with the suction cup.

PS: as to side rubber strips, they are available as original Skoda parts and any Skoda dealer or service should be able to fit them.

Edited by Lorenzo
  • Like 1

No I`m sticking with the car, going to be built next week...What ever the rights and wrongs Skoda UK are utter crap...Their staff are good at answering phones and thats it..The bit about the rubber strips came (allegedly) from SUK parts Dept who were adamant  :wall: ...2 mins on t`internet disproved that..They didnt know the ESC is  traction control and so it went on...Both online and paper configurators are out of date, they need to get their act together..

To be fair DM Keith,Wakefield have been brilliant...they agree that the brochures should have been supplied up to date and are going to ensure the` newbie` is  fitted with the strips, as per the factory, and as a goodwill gesture  :happy:

Re the child mirror, whatever the use or not, seems strange that its rolled out as a safety device to all their European buyers but doesnt apply to UK buyers...

• 2 weeks later...

After all the too and froing we are under starters orders finally....The Roomy was built yesterday at Vashiny and is presently on a train bound for Emden to wait for a ship..Skoda are showing delivery for later this month, whilst DM Keith (from experience) expect it to be in August..Not long now though  :sun:  :sun:

After all the too and froing we are under starters orders finally....The Roomy was built yesterday at Vashiny and is presently on a train bound for Emden to wait for a ship..Skoda are showing delivery for later this month, whilst DM Keith (from experience) expect it to be in August..Not long now though  :sun:  :sun:

Good news!  I didn't get a running commentary on the status of mine until it reached Grimsby.  So to give you a guide to that bit: it arrived Grimsby on Friday, got into DMK late Monday.  Finallised paperwork/insurance on Wednesday.  I could have picked up Thursday if I had wanted but that was a difficult day for me so settled on Friday pickup.

Done 1350 miles now including some long trips.  Lovin' it!  So do the grandkids...

Good to hear Eccleshill....on paper its a step down from an Octavia but we both crawled round a Roomster in the showroom yesterday and Mrs P in particular was very taken with it so just have to be patient...I do know that DMK at wakefield have 3 on that train so what delivery from there is like..pot luck I suppose

Good to hear Eccleshill....on paper its a step down from an Octavia

Not so much of a step down as I expected.

After the 1.8TSi and DSG I was expecting to spend life in the slow lane- no such thing!  The 1.6TDi has the same torque as the 1.8 and 3rd gear overtakes are a doddle.

What do I miss?

The DSG gearbox in traffic and for instantaneous downshifts for overtaking

The 1.8TSi really was an absolute peach of an engine!

The dual zone climate control in the Octavia was several classes above the one fitted to this Roomster - find myself spending much more time tweaking it.

The autodimming rear view mirror.

The seats - I had 2 Octavias and the seats were firmer and more supportive than the Roomster.  The Roomster is very good, but Octavias were excellent.

Time will tell in Winter if I will miss the puddle lights and heated seats

The enormous boot.  Just before I got rid I carried a 3ft headboard flat on the floor along the line of the car without folding the back seats.  Roomster is big enough though and has the Varieflex seats that are really very well designed.

The ability to customise settings in the maxidot.  The maxidot on the Roomster is just an improved display with no ability to change stuff.

What don't I miss?

You don't realise how much road noise you get in an Octavia, I guess you just get used to it.  17" with sports suspension was worse than 16" on normal springs but the Roomster is just SOOOOO quiet!  I have the 15" Avior wheels with Continental tyres.

Making far fewer trips to the filling station!  Result of going from mid to high 30's mpg to high 50's to low 60's

The auto wipers - some folk hate 'em but I loved 'em.  But the time delay on the Roomster has a really good wide range of intermitent speeds so I haven't missed 'em!

Water running into the boot when you open the hatch.

Difficulty in using the handbrake because of the central arm rest

Time will tell in Winter whether the skiinier tyres will give me better traction up the hill to my house in the snow - the last Octavia was utter carp in this regard!

Any problems with the new Roomie?

erm......

No!

Oh!  The handbrake needs adjusting - needs a very long pull to hold on my drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this delivery saga goes on....It was delivered to Emden on the 13th July and is sat on the docks..Skoda, after some pressure from me and the dealer now admit that they have no idea when space can be found for it on one of the ferries..The best guestimate they can come up with is early to mid August delivery to the dealer. in a word Pathetic............... :devil: ...Teutonic efficency my  :@

I`m now telling the dealer that I wont take delivery until the 1st September,(on holiday most of August anyway) might as well have it on the new year plate ..thats if the delivery clowns can manage it for then....I`m not holding my breath but frankly after all these delays I`ve lost interest in it completely..

• 3 weeks later...

hi Alex

I` m on holiday at present and got a bit fed up with the whole thing, so I agreed 1st Sept with the dealer and get it with the new reg.....thanks for asking though

• Like 1

Had my first sighting of the Roomster today. Would post piccies but dont know how to from my phone ( my 1yr old Grand Daughter probably has more idea than me) but it looks good..Has been cleaned of its delivery `Muck` and the excellent DM Keith have already started prepping it..the side strips and mudguards are on and I`ve been able to have a good crawl all over it, making sure that the factory has fitted all the spec I ordered, which it has including the full spare wheel and new set of mats waiting in the boot.

Getting it on Sunday 1st September at 10am, as soon as they open so I can swan round as many towns as I can fit in on its new `63` plate  :kiss: ..what will not suprise you is the ever incompetent DVLwatsit in Swansea havent even starting allocating new numbers yet as of today  :wall:  and they now allow new cars to drive round without a tax disc for 2 weeks (ish) until they get around to issuing the tax disc..dont even mention transferring cherished numbers...2 people I know stood on and had to wait nearly 3 weeks for them to do the transfer...now if only they had regional offices where it could be done in person......oh hang on  :@

Anyways all the grief is forgiven and forgotten and waiting for delivery of the new `Roomy` with all its new shiny gizmos.... :rofl:  :rofl:

Edited by paully

Had my first sighting of the Roomster today. Would post piccies but dont know how to from my phone ( my 1yr old Grand Daughter probably has more idea than me) but it looks good..Has been cleaned of its delivery `Muck` and the excellent DM Keith have already started prepping it..the side strips and mudguards are on and I`ve been able to have a good crawl all over it, making sure that the factory has fitted all the spec I ordered, which it has including the full spare wheel and new set of mats waiting in the boot.

Getting it on Sunday 1st September at 10am, as soon as they open so I can swan round as many towns as I can fit in on its new `63` plate  :kiss: ..what will not suprise you is the ever incompetent DVLwatsit in Swansea havent even starting allocating new numbers yet as of today  :wall:  and they now allow new cars to drive round without a tax disc for 2 weeks (ish) until they get around to issuing the tax disc..dont even mention transferring cherished numbers...2 people I know stood on and had to wait nearly 3 weeks for them to do the transfer...now if only they had regional offices where it could be done in person......oh hang on  :@

Anyways all the grief is forgiven and forgotten and waiting for delivery of the new `Roomy` with all its new shiny gizmos.... :rofl:  :rofl:

Glad to hear all is falling into place.

You have got the wrong end of the DVLA stick!!  Allowing cars to drive around without a tax disc for 2 weeks is only for online applicants and is an improvement in their service because it allows ever incompetent applicants to leave it to the last day of the month to renew their tax without fear of being hauled in by the old bill while postie delivers the disc.  In reality I have always found them exceptionally efficient with the new disc arriving within 3 or 4 days.

Thank god for your last line - beginning to think you were just a grumpy old man :rofl: :rofl:

Hope you enjoy your new Roomie as much as I enjoy mine.  9 weeks and 2600 miles on and it gets better by the day.  What are the shiney gizmos you specifiied?  I went for Amundsen, maxidot, cruise control, climate control and ESC+.  REALLY glad I went for the light interior too.

``Thank god for your last line - beginning to think you were just a grumpy old man  :rofl:  :rofl:``

Mangetout Rodney  :giggle:  :giggle:

Its got Maxidot, heated front seats, cruise control...the passenger seat airbag switch off button (which should be standard),proper spare wheel and jack like you used to get, black roof bars,black side strips which do make a difference,ESC  has been delivered as standard and considering having Nokia Bluetooth system fitted...Might be one or two other bits that, being an old fart, I`ve forgotten about but I`ll find as we go along. We both remarked on how comfortable the seats felt as well..looking forward to driving it.Has the darker interior though but does look good on the silver metallic...still stand by my comments re DVLA...the dealer aint impressed with them one bit either...

Glad yours is doing well though, good to hear...what`s the headlights like...any good?

beginning to think you were just a grumpy old man :rofl: :rofl:

being an old fart

Welcome to the Roomster fraternity  :rofl:

Seriously - hope you enjoy your Roomy.

I've had mine four years and struggle to think of any other car I would rather own.

In my opinion, getting the Nokia Bluetooth would rain on your parade. Our changeover from one Roomster with a Parrott 3100 fitted took over a week with the dealer trying to make the Nokia Bluetooth work. Not only would it not link to my Samsung mobile, it wouldn't link to my wife's Nokia mobile. Needless to say the Parrott kit in the previous car had done so, using advanced synch for the Samsung. Apparently the Nokia kit is the one "recommended" by Skoda. Finally we had the Parrott swapped over from one car to the other, no problems since.

``..still stand by my comments re DVLA...the dealer aint impressed with them one bit either...

That does not sound great.  Upto the end of this month we had our own seperate vehicle and driver licencing service (DVLNI).  However our are to be processed by DVLA now as well.  Looks like I got my motor just in time as my car will have its tax disk on delivery.  Dealer sends someone to the local DVLNI office (County Hall, Ballymena) with the insurance cover note, and reg documents and gets the disk.  Will no longer be possible in future.  Still it will be good to be able to tax online, which you could not do with DVLNI.

The local offices have all been done away with here. They used to handle cherished number transfers which were very quick and easy and as of last month the dealers, who used to be able to issue tax discs for new cars, had this facility withdrawn and now have to send everything by post to Swansea. The extra volume is causing problems,hence allowing new cars to drive round for the first few weeks without a tax disc... The second hand trade is ok as they can still use the local Post office to tax them, providing it hasn`t been closed down...