Official Mk3 VRS Pics and spec

No doubt Skoda uk will mess up the spec anyway and exclude electrically folding door mirrors for the vrs and no doubt a lot of other things. Or VW wont allow certain options in the uk.

the new VW Golf GTD has this sound generator

"The test car we tried also came with a sound actuator that will be available as an option this year. It uses sensors in the exhaust and a speaker in the bulkhead to amplify engine noise in the cabin but it adds a strangely synthetic petrol warble that seems bizarre on a TDI-powered car

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/64271/new-volkswagen-golf-gtd#ixzz2VTW30X70

"The test car we tried also came with a sound actuator that will be available as an option this year. It uses sensors in the exhaust and a speaker in the bulkhead to amplify engine noise in the cabin but it adds a strangely synthetic petrol warble that seems bizarre on a TDI-powered car

Read more: http://www.autoexpre...d#ixzz2VTW30X70

Sorry but this gadget sounds like you could get it from Halfords for £20.....

Ok, so I am guessing that the UK spec vRS will have:

Standard

B-Xenon incl LED running lights

LED C shape rear lights

Colour maxi dot and MFSW

18" Alloys

So on the face of it it appears well specc'd but will it lose things such as dual zone climate as an example, I love that function?

The biggest downside will be what options Skoda and VW UK allow it to have here in the UK, the press release on the UK site will be just a generic press release from Skoda outlining the new standard features of the car that make it different from the previous generaation vRS, my concern would be what things it looses and also what items that were standard will now be options, also teh lack of options that might be available, but, no doubt Skoda UK will still manage to do things that make just no sense whatsoever!!

i was looking at the vw site earlier and the tsi gti, according to that the gti doesnt get the colour maxi-dot its an extra as are quite a lot of things. A fully specced gti was coming in at around £38k which is crazy but there are folk out there that will pay that.

Considering SUK seem to get a bit of a berating for the way they mess things up - why doesn't it change? Surely the standard marque that comes from CZ should be standard here too? Otherwise it just shows how they are ripping off potential owners?

More interested in how it drives than if it has dual climate control.

Wifey has decreed that my next car must have dual climate as she likes the temperature about 5 degrees warmer than I do... :(

Wifey has decreed that my next car must have dual climate as she likes the temperature about 5 degrees warmer than I do... :(

My wife likes it 5 degrees warmer...when she is doing the washing up...

• Like 2

Read more: http://www.autoexpre...d#ixzz2VTW30X70

The latest Porsche 911 (known as 991 as part of their confusing name / numbering) has the same feature - but the sound it makes is very artificial to my ears and doesn't sound as "mechanical" as the previous generation 997/2 cars.

I suspect the spec will middle between the SE and Elegance models as it does now.

Ill be surprised if it doesnt get 2 zone climate but expect it'll get the Bolero stereo (no Nav). It might get the folding mirrors and light/rain sensor if its to share some of the Elegance spec

• Like 1

Sorry but this gadget sounds like you could get it from Halfords for £20.....

I understand it is ECU controlled and resonantes the cars windscreen to create the effect.

Id expect it can be easily disconnected or coded out with VCDS if not wanted.

Towed extensively with 3 examples of the previous Octavia vRS ... all 170 TDi's. My friend who is a caravanning journalist also had one for three years.

Great towcar, no issues whatsoever towing just over 1300Kg. Only changed to the Yeti as we wanted a heavier 'van.

I may have another ... the estate looks awesome ... we are in the process of ordering a lighter caravan for 2014 to make the vRS an option again, though a facelifted Yeti will be in the running too.

That was my point 1300 is medium size van and well above the 85% ideal tow match. in fact subject to the kerb weight of the vrs it's greater than the kerbweight, so not good at all ! I looked at a vrs estate as a tug and was suprised how low it's capcity was, but as you say it's designed to be sporty hence the low weight.

Look very nice! The new golf GTi has 340mm brakes I think so I'd expect this to have the same?

I think you only get the bigger brakes on the Golf Gti if you take the performance pack.

I think you only get the bigger brakes on the Golf Gti if you take the performance pack.

Correct. Interesting (if they are 340mm) because that means they've dropped the S3 345mm front setup or at least decided not to use them - I'd have assumed it would be these on the performance pack.

That was my point 1300 is medium size van and well above the 85% ideal tow match. in fact subject to the kerb weight of the vrs it's greater than the kerbweight, so not good at all ! I looked at a vrs estate as a tug and was suprised how low it's capcity was, but as you say it's designed to be sporty hence the low weight.

Fair point ... my vRS Mk2's all weighed in at 1420 Kg or more ... the weight seemed to go down over the years despite the car not changing much! I hope the new one tips the scales at at least the high 1300's ... the new Golf GTD is about 1370Kg so I'd hope the vRS would be the same or maybe more. The caravan I have for 2014 weighs in at 1279Kg all up in 2013 mode so will hopefully be the same or lighter for next year (Sterling Eccles Topaz SE) so something at 1370 ish would be just fine (I am a very experienced caravanner so happy to push over the 85% guideline ... but not too much!).

Time will tell ....

i was looking at the vw site earlier and the tsi gti, according to that the gti doesnt get the colour maxi-dot its an extra as are quite a lot of things. A fully specced gti was coming in at around £38k which is crazy but there are folk out there that will pay that.

I'm sure it gets expensive if you tick every box but who does that ? A fully specced vrs will be over 30k as well!

The base spec of the Golf is impressive now with zenons, cruise, front and rear parking sensors , electric folding mirrors , auto distance control. All that for £25k and 10% off if you're willing to negotiate. The golf also has a mgfv of over £13k in 3 years.

I think the golf is priced competitively when you consider it.

I'm sure it gets expensive if you tick every box but who does that ? A fully specced vrs will be over 30k as well!

The base spec of the Golf is impressive now with zenons, cruise, front and rear parking sensors , electric folding mirrors , auto distance control. All that for £25k and 10% off if you're willing to negotiate. The golf also has a mgfv of over £13k in 3 years.

I think the golf is priced competitively when you consider it.

Totally agree, a 5 door manual GTi in a solid colour with Performance Pack and low end nav is about 28k RRP, so arguably about 25k with discount.

Considering it'd have 10 more ponies, big brakes, an e-diff and bound to have a better spec than a vRS without too many options I think its pretty good value.

Buying something like this on a PCP with a decent marketing deal probably wouldnt work out to be too much more expensive than the equivalent vRS either given its GFV will be considerably better.

Edited by pipsyp

• 4 weeks later...