Brake dust

Having owned my '09 pre FL vRS for almost 2 months now, one thing that is really annoying me is the amount of brake dust that accumulates on the rear alloys. The fronts seem to be okay, but the rears have black deposits on them within a couple of days of being cleaned, and it is VERY annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any low-deposit rear brake pads please ??

Can't help with your problem and totally off-topic but noticed the ZX-81 reference in your sig line.

Still have my ZX-81 complete with wobbly RAM pack and cassette recorder. Must fire it up and see if it still works...

• Like 1

Probably the only way would be to change the brake pads for something that makes less dust.

I've Pagit pads on and don't find them excessive.

If you check the detailing forum you'll get some suggestions for wheel protecting cleaning products to make it easier to remove.

if you really want to cut down on brake dust fit some ebc redstuff pads, i have them all round and the reduction in dust is unreal there is probably more road dirt on my wheels than brake dust.

Also i have now coated my rims in carpro dlux which is a sealant and reduces the dirt/dust even further!

• Like 1

I'd be investigating why it's the rears getting 'dustier' quicker than the fronts. That aint normal considering most of the braking effort is done by the front and therefore should be getting more brake dust. Unless there are different compound pads being used front/rear.

Mine does the same, I'll probably change to Pagid pads before too long. Tried Red Stuff previously, on another car, but found them to be pretty unresponsive until they get some temperature in them but always found Pagid to be really good value for money.

• Like 1

VRS is relatively hard on the rears. Mine wore out at pretty much the same rate front and rear.

I read something about modern cars using the rears a bit more but I've forgotten the detail in the mists of time.

Cheers Peeps....I do quite a bit of servicing for work colleagues and friends and get the vast majority of my parts from Andrew Page motor factors. Until recently they supplied Bosch pads as their top brand range, but have now changed to Mintex, who coincidentally I used to work for 25 years ago, so I might just give them a try.

Re protecting the alloys, I cleaned, polished and sealed them when I got the car, and last week added a coat of Jetseal 109 to them, so they are well protected !!!