Hybrid.

I wouldn't trust cheap to be honest. The "norm" for a relatively standard fabia vRS with a PD150 hybrid is a realistic 220bhp. A few other mods and you could push for 230. That's about the cap.

• Like 1

I've been looking at the £1500 Darkside kit. That looks pretty good value for 230bhp, all fitted and mapped up.

I've been looking at the £1500 Darkside kit. That looks pretty good value for 230bhp, all fitted and mapped up.

Don't forget VAT on top of that :)

230bhp kit is £1920 with VAT FYI :)

I'm looking at that kit too!

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Then you need other hardware to match

Fmic

Clutch

And you really want to be sorting brakes and handling!

Its certainly not a cheap do

Tom go see turbo solutions in darlington got mine from them and its been spot on :)

What are the prices like from them mate? I'm just in Newcastle like so it would be handy having somewhere local....

As jase says, you need the rest of the parts, thats a half a kit for 230bhp, just crafty advertisement.

My take on that kit, if you only want 230-240bhp then it's not all that great value. Get a hybrid for around £900-1000, map it for £300 and then get the 'cooler & clutch (as you would need either way). You dont need the 4 bar map sensor, you dont need the decat so unless your going for big power it's pointless. The hybrid spools up a little sooner providing more useable power and saves you ££££. Obviously if you want to go for 250 bhp+ then yeah, the "budget kit" would be a good start, but dont be under any illusions it'll make that power without all the other parts needed to support the turbo (and as jase says the parts to make you stop and go round bends)

• Like 1

Don't forget VAT on top of that :)

OK, but it still looks like decent value because it's fitted, mapped, everything.

Sure, you can buy a hybrid for £700-£900 then a remap for £300-£400, but you'll need the clutch and intercooler upgrade no matter how you want to get to 230bhp surely? And the hybrid won't fit itself.

I think Darkside should get some credit for moving the TDi tuning scene on a bit.

As jase says, you need the rest of the parts, thats a half a kit for 230bhp, just crafty advertisement.

My take on that kit, if you only want 230-240bhp then it's not all that great value. Get a hybrid for around £900-1000, map it for £300 and then get the 'cooler & clutch (as you would need either way). You dont need the 4 bar map sensor, you dont need the decat so unless your going for big power it's pointless. The hybrid spools up a little sooner providing more useable power and saves you ££££. Obviously if you want to go for 250 bhp+ then yeah, the "budget kit" would be a good start, but dont be under any illusions it'll make that power without all the other parts needed to support the turbo (and as jase says the parts to make you stop and go round bends)

your £12-1300 turbo and map isn't going to see 230bhp and that £300 map will be a slightly tweaked (if you're lucky) generic map uploaded by a monkey with a flashing tool. you say the 4 BAR MAP sensor isn't needed but I was running about 30 PSI with my hybrid, which when you add the 1ish BAR of atmospheric pressure of getting outside the scope of what a 3 BAR sensor can measure, is it not? the 'budget' kit isn't a 2260, it spools at (least as?) well/quickly as a hybrid turbo

The reason I'm looking at the 230bhp kit is because it's different from a hybrid, still has the characteristics of the standard turbo.

Also worth mentioning I already have a decent FMIC and exhaust setup. Just lacking the clutch.

I recently purchased a hybrid from turbo dynamics , they were helpful and turbo is first rate , done about 3k with it now , perfect , this cost me £880 , non exchange delivered , have fmic , but had no clutch issues

Thanks Trev

Guest BigJase88

I can't imagine how horrible it would be to drive say a 2260 around town

Im on a stock pd150 turbo and its laggy as anything around town! My mate has a 130 fabia vrs and its soo much easier to drive round town

The lag on mine does my head in at times

Guest BigJase88

Yeah well mine came with a 150 and its mapped to 198bhp (leon mk1 fr)

And at times its annoying! Mainly short shifting 1st to 2nd when say pulling away at a junction! Then when it comes alive (you have your foot flat on the floor thinking omg pick up) then bam! Your taking off like a bat of of hell! Quite annoying at times

The reason I'm looking at the 230bhp kit is because it's different from a hybrid, still has the characteristics of the standard turbo.

Also worth mentioning I already have a decent FMIC and exhaust setup. Just lacking the clutch.

Ask Alex about his Dan, and get some feedback from him. I'm sure he will let you have a go in his to get a feel for it ;)

• Like 1

Ask Alex about his Dan, and get some feedback from him. I'm sure he will let you have a go in his to get a feel for it ;)

Alex is trying his best to convince me not to buy one as it means selling my gsxr :p

• Like 2

Haven't you sold that bike yet.? :D

Not yet haha, haven't advertised it. Haven't ridden it since maybe last September :( something is stopping me from selling though!

Guest BigJase88

I must say I've got no lag issues what so ever with my hybrid 150. still on standard clutch too......although the torque is capped to accommodate.

All were saying its it is a laggy turbo! Its not massively laggy but around town it can become annoying!