James' VR6T 4 Motion Golf. Now SOLD!

James I

OMG!  I took the big pig out tonight to collect my daughter from her friends, first outing in the wet and with Autoguard tyres on my temporary rims it was dangerous! Truly dangerous, 2nd gear on a roundabout at 20 mph and slippy slidey was an understatement, even heavily braking from 70 the tyres just let go!

The other worrying thing was after a spirited drive, 16.9mpg is alarming too but I didn't be 2.8 V6 to worry about mpg.

Hopefully when I have a tweak with the suspension, arb's and get some good tyres on the big pig she should be ok but I always expect her to be a challenge compared to the nimble Fabia.  

I got back last night from a few busy days in Ireland for work, amongst seeing customers and drinking Guiness, I collected this from a guy in the VR6OC forum, now I only need my head spacer to drop compression and the turbo project can begin. 

This isn't the sexiest looking short runner but it is functional and I have to say well made, it weighs a ton! This will be my starter for ten and I think I will get an aluminium one fabricated in the future.

Short Runner.

9730789266_ce8d2875e8_b.jpg

And one of the many Guiness that were murdered during our visit..   :happy:  :happy:

• Like 1

Little update, I called in to Demon Tweeks today to ask where my wheels are, 6 weeks have passed since I ordered them, I was told that they haven't been made yet!  Order cancelled and an alternative choice made.

New choice Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 in graphite grey, partly because they were in stock and of course because I like them, so out to the tyre fitting bay to have 4 Federal 595 RS-R tyres fitted and this is where the fun began!

Two tyres went onto the rims ok but the other two would not seal on the bead, there is a profile inside the rim that is quite square edged, the tyre has get over this to seat, in the event of a blow out the tyre stays on the rim but it would not seat! 130psi in the tyre to try and pop it on but no chance, we even borrowed a staff members Golf to fit the wheel too and drive it around to get the bead to seat, this did not work either.

So I am at home now, wheels are still in DT, I hope to get them on Saturday morning and I will be fitting bucket seats on Saturday too!

Once I get the wheels on the car I will get some pictures up.

Spent a couple of hours trimming fat off the old girl, so far removed are;

6 play CD changer

Rear seats and seat belts and seatbelt rollers and sliders etc.

All plastic boot trim

Spare wheel and tool kit

Tomorrow front seats are being evicted and bucket seats fitted, this should free up about 40 kilos!

I am surprised Si, how quick everything has dropped into place, I just have to tweak the ride height as it is a little high at the front, I am also thinking of 10mm spacers to stance the wheels out in the arch a bit more, they look a bit lost under the flares.

It is also the first time I have been far in it today, so much torque you can drive around in 6th quite easily, it goes from 25mph to max without changing gear  :giggle:

I will get the harnesses and buckets in tomorrow and it will have to wait until I am back from Brussels next week until it gets anymore attention.

Thanks Trevor, I got GAZ GHA's from Larkspeed, they took four weeks for delivery and were really easy to fit, ride is good as damping is adjustable, so nice and soft on the road. I also fitted Eibach ARB's this meant I had to shorten the drop links, not sure if this is due to the ARB or the front strut, but a simple 1" removal, sleeve and weld made a simple fix.

GAZ GHA's cost £552 delivered, this includes adjustable front struts and rear dampers, front strut coil over spring and rear separate spring, extremely adjustable, fronts have another 2" of lowering available and rears are wound up almost the the highest setting  

As for the TD 3's I actually order 1.2's but they took too long to deliver, ordered 6 weeks ago and still haven't arrived, so went for the 3's instead with Federal 595 RS-R tyres.  Seem ok on the drive home anyway,   :thumbup:  

Thanks Trevor, I got GAZ GHA's from Larkspeed, they took four weeks for delivery and were really easy to fit, ride is good as damping is adjustable, so nice and soft on the road. I also fitted Eibach ARB's this meant I had to shorten the drop links, not sure if this is due to the ARB or the front strut, but a simple 1" removal, sleeve and weld made a simple fix.

GAZ GHA's cost £552 delivered, this includes adjustable front struts and rear dampers, front strut coil over spring and rear separate spring, extremely adjustable, fronts have another 2" of lowering available and rears are wound up almost the the highest setting  

As for the TD 3's I actually order 1.2's but they took too long to deliver, ordered 6 weeks ago and still haven't arrived, so went for the 3's instead with Federal 595 RS-R tyres.  Seem ok on the drive home anyway,   :thumbup:  

thats not bad then, dont really want the adjustability its a daily so wont be mega low just need to sort out the height as the backs far too high on mine,

how much did you pay for the suspensiom? been looking at various options for my bora, and its hard to find someone thats actually fitted coilovers lol, cheers, and love the wheels have had 3's before there top notch

If you phone gaz direct trev you can spec them to your needs apparently. A lot of the vr6 boys do it so they can up the rate on the springs and request how low they wanna run. There was a contact name but I've forgot it now lol.

This Is what I was planning to do but it's dragging now and just need it back on the road.

My front springs are 550 and rears are 380 iirc, I know one thing for sure, set the damping to hard and it is rock solid! I drove one mile and stopped, a quick re adjust to soft and the car is very usable.

I also spoke to GAZ and told them the car was going to be stripped out, they made suspension to suit. They will also repair or replace one if anything ever goes wrong in the future.  

• Like 1

Problem is Si, so much to buy and do but what to do first lol.

I am looking forward to cashing in my road tax and getting this big fat pink pig into the garage to address the power to weight ratio, obviously it is difficult to shed lots of weight, so the plan is to overcome weight with power, did somebody mention T4 turbo   :rock:

Problem is Si, so much to buy and do but what to do first lol.

I am looking forward to cashing in my road tax and getting this big fat pink pig into the garage to address the power to weight ratio, obviously it is difficult to shed lots of weight, so the plan is to overcome weight with power, did somebody mention T4 turbo   :rock:

Removing aircon with rad and compressor etc should be 30kgs off I would have thought, there only just over 1500kgs standard which I don't thinks too bad, still lighter then a mk2 vrs

Air con will all come off when the turbo work starts. Also rear door electric window motors and side impact bars will all go too, standar exhaust weighs a ton too.

speaking of the exhaust, I will be getting a bespoke system made, turbo to CAT down pipe will be made as the two cats can stay then from the CAT's back will be a 3" system, small rear silencer and a middle box too, all made from stainless.  I know a man who can do this for me.  

• Like 1

I have to agree they do sound good, but when you have a man who can it would be rude to buy a Milltek.  Might be possible he would make your manifold for you. 

Take a look here, this is no back street fabricator  LINKY