James' VR6T 4 Motion Golf. Now SOLD!

James I

Some of you may be aware I had bought a Golf V6 4 Motion, originally I was going to strip it out completely and just use it a track thrash about, however after getting the car for a very reasonable price, I have decided to repair the odd jobs that need doing and then get an MOT on it, I will then use it as a weekend car and of course it will be used on the track too.

So, here it is as I got it.

8708559288_e4381ae98b_b.jpg

Now here it is having the steering rack changed, I got a service exchange unit and yes you've guessed it, as this is a 4 Motion, the rack is different, so instead of £90 service exchange it was £220 service exchange!!!

8997929996_15a6c467a0_b.jpg

Me, with a hat on so I don't burn me grin through...
8996747127_5b7a17fae9_b.jpg

The offending steering rack, the chroming on the shafts was completely pitted!
8997931206_dac5be3f6e_b.jpg

Old and new together.
8997939930_a56257dace_b.jpg

Me again, trying to undo the oil feed pipe, tricky bugger.
8996745929_4bd066b725_b.jpg

After we got the rack back in and the subframe bolted back up we put the wheels back on until tomorrow when I get new track rod ends to fit.
We also decided to run the VCDS software to see why there are so many lights displayed on the dash, we got a pleasant surprise, VCDS claims the displayed mileage is in Kilometres, this would fit as the car was imported as a right hand drive, if this is the case, the 76890 displayed is kilometres, meaning the car has only done 47777 miles!!! VCDS read out below.
So, this is my project so far and I will keep you up to speed with developments, thanks for reading.

As you will see with the diagnostic, I still have a few bits to do, I also need to sort out some tyres as it has been sat on the 18's with no air in them and ruined the walls!!!!

Log-FN52NAO-76890km-47777mi.txt

Edited by James I

I went to fit my track rod ends tonight, got the ones specified for the car but they don't fit, it seems the new steering rack as thicker track arms, so back to ECP to swap them tomorrow.

I also dropped on four of the same wheels that the car has on but in 17" form today, so I might sell the 18" wheels as are in poor condition.

I have found a company that will powder coat for £40 per wheel, is this reasonable? By the time I buy paint and learn how to do them I might as well just get them done.

Quick update, Golf is now insured and has a bit of tax on the window too. I went today to change the wheels over for some that hold air, re-attach the track rods with new track rod ends, clear the faults with VCDS, this was a bit pointless as they came back on again, annoyed at the yellow lights the Golf thought it would be funny to bleep again and illuminate another light, the refuel light, this was easily remedied, lol.

So, we did the 17 miles to Central VW in Ellesmere Port, dropped the car off, had a chat with Si and he is already certain what we need to extinguish the dash lights and he is instructed to service the car, including Haldex and of course gat it through an MOT.

Here she is with the 17" wheels on and new tyres I got this week, the 18" wheels will be cleaned up and new tyres fitted for a second set just in case.

Then once I have ran it for a bit I will be looking at mods, not sure what yet but I hope it includes a turbo, let's see how that pans out.

9048376383_603173446a_b.jpg

9048373811_40c55c8177_b.jpg

9050604406_19a080ee07_b.jpg

• Like 1

I got the call today to go and see what the verdict was on the Golf after it has been for its MOT. In short it failed.

Some silly things, broken rear spring, head light washer inoperative, dim rear lights, brakes, although it wasn't necessarily a brake issue! The problem is that the rear diff is locked to the drive train and causing it to wind up, at the test centre they have a brake testing rolling road that counter rotates the front wheels or rear wheels meaning that 4X4 cars can be brake tested. On my Golf it wouldn't as everything is locked.

So it will be out with the VCDS to see if the controller is knackered, if it isn't electrical then the diff will be dropped and examined. Updates to follow after Saturday VCDS'ing the issues.

I think they could use the box but they decided not to as the diff/haldex was making a strange noise. As the Golf isn't a daily driver I am happy to sorn it and find the issue, so this weekend will be an investigative one sorting issues out!

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of searching on the internet and making calls to source a rear diff and headlight washer pump I finally got all my bits together, headlight washer pump from Colchester and a whole S3 rear subframe and diff/haldex driveshafts, roll bar etc from North Cave. All was safely dropped off at Central VW Audi in Ellesmere Port.

Tonight I went to the garage and removed the diff from the subframe, easy enough, we also drained the Haldex and diff oils, they were both nice and clean with no metallic debris, Haldex filter was also removed. Saturday the switch will take place as will a full fluids/filter service on the engine ready for the re test.

I spent a bit of time tonight with Simon discussing the turbo mods for the V6, relatively quite simple, we have set targets for BHP at 400, with a decent torque curve for drivability, no point having boost in the last 1000 rpm.

Now the hunt starts to gather the bits and pieces, as this car is not a daily drive, I am looking towards some of the Chinese turbo chargers, they look ok and as I expect to run 5-7 psi boost I don't think they will be over worked. Manifold also from China, after all it is a cast iron lump.

If you have anything lying around in your garage that might fit into my build feel free to let me know what it is and how much you want.

These are the items I am looking at, I expect to have 400 bhp for around £1000

Turbo Kit  and the  Manifold or this Manifold not sure yet.

Updates and pictures to follow after the diff fitting.

Long way to go yet Babs, but the Golf is a good rot free car to use as a base for modding, the V6 can stay I think as the sound is great, once turbo'ed it should go well too.

7th July 2013, up early, dog walked and set off for the garage, today the diff is getting replaced any other bits and pieces I can fettle will be!

Got the car up on the lift and set too, removed the exhaust from the centre section, very heavy piece of tin!, also removed the flimsy heat shield so as to gain access to the Diff and all the bolts holding it in, job was easy enough and all went well, we replaced the oils in the new diff set up whilst it was out of the car, this made things much easier than pumping oil up hill!
All in the job took three hours from start to finish, here are a few pics of what I have been doing.

From behind view, exhaust removed.
9223709302_db1e8629ac_c.jpg

Bolts loosened and just about ready to remove.
9220932601_67e1458c7e_c.jpg

Exhaust view.
9220931701_6b7393fcbd_c.jpg

Diff out.
9223704792_f544842ca8_c.jpg

The bad unit on the floor, I am going to strip this down to see what the issue is, possibly repair and keep as a spare.
9220928171_cb85324c95_c.jpg

Replacement in and tightened up.
9220926605_6fb577d004_c.jpg

Tea break!
9223705902_23ea41d435_c.jpg

Now with the diff sorted and I replaced the headlight washing pump today too, my list of things to do is getting shorter.

I ran VCDS again and a few fault codes came up again, one is engine management, this is a Lambda sensor that is iffy, it is taking too long to heat up, I hope this will be ok after a good run as the car has been stood for months!
Second error was G200, this is a lateral sensor for the ECP, I removed the one on the drivers side and error cleared, so need one of those to clear that fault.
I also need a new front ARB, I am going to source an R32 OEM bar as these are adequate along with new rubbers, I also need new rear springs, I am not lowering so will look for uprated race springs and shocks.
Finally, I need to get the brakes off and cleaned as they are rubbish after being stood.

Apart from that, I would say things are progressing...

Ordered up a few more goodies today, first is the Eibach 26mm front and 24mm rear ARBS, these will be matched to GAZ suspension, not read too much info about the GAZ stuff but they look and feel a proper job, so based on that and the price I guess they will be as good as anything.

If you have used GAZ suspension I would be grateful for a bit of what you think about them.

Had an hour or so on the front this afternoon cleaning and stripping down the offending differential removed from the fo mo. I was expecting to see massive wear and tear with teeth missing from the gears and such like after the noise it was making in the car, however to my surprise there was no such damage!
The gears look ok, as do the main drive gears from the Haldex to the crown gear, only thing I can put the noise and issue down to would be the bearings, they sound really course and feel rough!
A couple of pictures of the stripped diff, I left the Haldex unit in tact as this was ok, any ideas where I can get replacement bearings from as I will rebuild the diff as a spare or for sale whatever comes first.

Haldex unit and drive pinion.
9229458083_c02f4f1c5c_c.jpg

An array of shafts and bits.
9232235694_410374764d_c.jpg

Small gears from the diff.
9229447841_9036e2bd22_c.jpg

Pinion.
9229446221_9a542b5513_c.jpg

Empty housing.
9229444883_8f8bff32a5_c.jpg

Back together.
9229443713_fa6303024e_c.jpg

9229441787_aef57e7af2_c.jpg

Not much to it really considering what it does.

Just got a call to say that a few of my ordered up items have arrived at Central VW, the Eibach ARB's and my turbo bits have all arrived in a couple of big boxes, hopefully call in tomorrow to see what I have bought lol.
I still need to buy my head spacer and a few other bits, but essentially I now have the turbo, FMIC, oil cooler, manifold, dump valve and so on, might need an inlet manifold, will find out tomorrow.
Hopefully be looking at 300-325bhp with a low boost set up, then if I don't kill myself a steady progression to the dizzy heights of 450+ lol 
It is like Christmas in July. 

I am also going to drop off my out of round 18" inch alloys to see if they are repairable! Hope so.  Anybody used national alloys in Widnes?

• Like 2

Another package arrived, lateral sensor, this should extinguish another dash light! I have noticed that when an error code shows up, if the correct part is bought it fixes the error code, theres a thought for anybody who needs to know how to get rid of error codes..   :happy:  :happy:  

Here she is, all £40 of it instead of £160 of the dealer. 

9256143462_606a153873_c.jpg

After a week of searching on the internet and making calls to source a rear diff and headlight washer pump I finally got all my bits together, headlight washer pump from Colchester and a whole S3 rear subframe and diff/haldex driveshafts, roll bar etc from North Cave. All was safely dropped off at Central VW Audi in Ellesmere Port.

Tonight I went to the garage and removed the diff from the subframe, easy enough, we also drained the Haldex and diff oils, they were both nice and clean with no metallic debris, Haldex filter was also removed. Saturday the switch will take place as will a full fluids/filter service on the engine ready for the re test.

I spent a bit of time tonight with Simon discussing the turbo mods for the V6, relatively quite simple, we have set targets for BHP at 400, with a decent torque curve for drivability, no point having boost in the last 1000 rpm.

Now the hunt starts to gather the bits and pieces, as this car is not a daily drive, I am looking towards some of the Chinese turbo chargers, they look ok and as I expect to run 5-7 psi boost I don't think they will be over worked. Manifold also from China, after all it is a cast iron lump.

If you have anything lying around in your garage that might fit into my build feel free to let me know what it is and how much you want.

These are the items I am looking at, I expect to have 400 bhp for around £1000

Turbo Kit  and the  Manifold or this Manifold not sure yet.

Updates and pictures to follow after the diff fitting.

Did you decide on a mani ?

Hard to tell from the pics, but I would lean towards the 2nd option on the theory it looks like it might be stronger round the flange

I went and opened all my parcels today, lovely 26mm & 24mm Eibach ARBS front and rear, then box number two & three, these are the important ones, within them were 

T4 Turbo Charger, 

VW 2.8L VR6 cast turbo manifold, 

2.25" Intercooler 550 x 140x65mm, 

AIR FILTER cone, 

Air Breather Valve Cover Filter 50mmx35mmx25mm, 

MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER, 

13 row oil cooler, 

Oil Relocation Kit, 

Oil Feed Line Kit, 

2.5"TURBO INTERCOOLER PIPE PIPING DIY KIT 64MM SILICONE,

SUPER SQV BYPASS DUMP BLOW OFF VALVE BOV KIT, 

Turbo Timer, 

Oil Catch Tank, 

38mm External Turbo Wastegate, 

2 of Fans, 

1 Heat wrap and a

Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Considering all this was in a kit, I am quite surprised at the quality of it all, it will make a superb start point for turboing the Golf and as things progress then I am sure bits will be replaced with bigger bits!

I will get some pictures up this weekend.

• Like 3