Amundsen GPS Update

I've recently bought a Yeti SE+ which has an Amundsen SatNav system.

At the moment, everything is OK, but as time goes by, the maps will inevitably get out-of-date.

Having searched the most likely sources, I can't find a definitive guide to:

(a) Purchase updated maps,

(B) how to install said updates.

I get the impression the updates come on a DVD - does this have to be in the vehicle all the time, or can it be uploaded to the unit itself?

I believe the files can be transferred to an SD card, but I have my music on SD card - does this mean I can't use the card to store music on it any more?

I have a Garmin Nüvi system and lifetime updates, so I get informed by email when new versions of the maps are available - is there any way to do this with the Amundsen system?

a ) You can purchase the DVD with your local Skoda dealer

b ) Insert the DVD into the unit

1. I had the DVD in my unit for a while (40 min perhaps) for a day and my Columbus copied the maps (and POI) of in background.

2. No you will be fine with maps on SD, you can still listen to music.

3. I don't know of any email updates for new maps for the Skoda Nav systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nick - looks like that'll do the trick ... the next question though ... does anyone know where SD card slot 2 is on a Yeti? I use the front panel mounted SD card slot for music, but the instructions imply there is an SD card inserted at the factory in card slot 2.

Good question. I had assumed it was an Amundsen as I thought the Amundsen+ had DAB and mine doesn't.

Good question. I had assumed it was an Amundsen as I thought the Amundsen+ had DAB and mine doesn't.

I have Amundsen+ and it does not have DAB.

You can use a map from an SD card and so preserve the pre-loaded map but you have no music.  Alternative is to copy from SD card to the unit and overwrite the pre-loaded map.  Instructions are in the manual - IIRC it takes a long time (4hrs?)  to do the transfer.

• 3 months later...

I have Amundsen+ and it does not have DAB.

You can use a map from an SD card and so preserve the pre-loaded map but you have no music.  Alternative is to copy from SD card to the unit and overwrite the pre-loaded map.  Instructions are in the manual - IIRC it takes a long time (4hrs?)  to do the transfer.

Hi, I've also got the Amundsen+ without DAB in my -14 Superb ,tried to use the download from NavTeq but no luck so far. Any suggestions about just how to get it up and running? Couldn't just copy the files to the SD, just received "SD Card Error" when I tried that ... but the SD card is just fine, works perfect for playing music.

Any suggestions?

Kindly,

Anders

• 8 months later...

My Nov 2013 Octavia 1.6 TDi Elegance came with Amundsen Infotainment system with CD player, DAB radio and SatNav. Maps etc are about a year out of date*. There are two SD card slots: one for SatNav and one for owner's use. I came to this website looking for update info and BIGnick's posting looks just the thing I was seeking:  http://www.navigatio...teqEurope-Site

This refers you to:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen-Instructions&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

for downloading a 7zip file**, which my computer is now in the middle of downloading. It'll take a while, even with my 62MB/sec broadband connection.

If I manage to update my SatNav, I'll report back here idc.

*  SatNav version = 5E0919866 0018 2012/2013 (found on display via 'Settings')

** 7zip decompression tool (free software) works fine in Ubuntu Linux.

Edited by tonywoodtw

Ah this one again....

Firstly:

The original Amundsen is based on RNS310 and Amundsen+ is based on RNS315. the '+' bears no relation to the capabilities of the unit (BT and/or DAB)

Secondly:

Confusion reigns here as the Amundsen (and Columbus) name has been recycled between generations. The older vehicles use this:

Traffic-messages-RNS-315-Navigation-Syst

(Oh look traffic problems on the M25 too! Surprise!)

The newer vehicles with have the infotainment thingy:

r12-radios-aux-in-usb-a7-01.jpg

....it's only the newer one that can be "DIY" updated from the navteq website.

Sadly there is something written on the website where it mentions "within the last three years", this is wrong as the new MIB units haven't been out that long.

On the original (RNS310/315) units there is no 2nd SDCard slot, anywhere, at all. Updates to the original are done via SDCard, but (so far) it's a one-shot card, so it can't be used and passed on. If I recall correctly, these cards are usually around the £200 mark from a dealer, although have been seen on eBay at around £50.

=======================

Have noticed that the thread is a bit of an old one, but hopefully the above will help people who have got here via the search function :)

• Like 1

It worked! 

I just followed the instructions (see links in my previous posting) and now have '2014/2015' update to my Amundsen SatNav.

You need to be brave because you have to delete everything from the original Skoda SD card (after copying contents to a backup folder on your computer of course).

Download took a couple of hours on my 62MB/sec broadband connection because the 7Zip file was 6.2 GiB - which extracts to 7.1GiB.

My initial instinct was to load the file onto a spare (32 GiB) SD card but that wasn't accepted by the car; it has to be a Skoda SD card like the man says in the instructions.

Go for it.  Save £200.  It's a FREE update!! 

(As I'm a Linux user of only FREE Open Source software - nothing Microsoft, nothing pirated - this is all very satisfactory.)

Edited by tonywoodtw

You've got a MKIII then?

The older ones (RNS310/315) have no "Original Skoda Card" to do anything with, everything is pre-loaded into onboard flash memory.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm still having trouble updating my maps from Western Europe V4.

I went to the dealer - they confirmed the Amundsen+ (at least my model) should be free lifetime upgrades from Skoda.  Unfortunately they couldn't tell me the definitive way to update, but pointed me to the Skoda GPS update site.

I downloaded the files (all 6GB of them!) and put them on to an SD card, as per instructions.  I turn on the Amundsen+, insert the card and eventually get an error "Error: SD card".  I've formatted the card as FAT32 and even tried borrowing a windows machine (I'll all Apple) and tried using NTFS - no luck.

There isn't a second SD card slot on my set, but I'm assuming I just plug the card into the front slot and it recognises the map update … except it doesn't!

Any more helpful tips? 

I think you need To check full post.

Reviewing post #10, witch unit do you have?

Admunsen (first photo) < 2012 car models**: not free updates, but you can find updates on google

Admunsen+ ( first photo) < 2012 car models**: not free updates, nothing on google available

Admunsen > 2012 ( second photo): free updates from navtech

Every unit is different, don't try to mix maps from one to other, It doesn't work.

** year is not exact, it depends on every car model. it's better explained on post #10 photos

Edited by de_compet
  • Like 1

Ask the dealer to show you how it's done ;)

RNS 315 (Amundsen+) has no 2nd SD slot and the offical maps update is around £200 for a one-shot SDCard.

The free updates are for the newer units, first seen in Octavia III. :)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/278784-amundsen-gps-update/?p=3836875

• 1 month later...

Bought my Yeti Greenline II October 2013.  Opted for Amudsen+ Sat Nav as a factory fitted option. Plus 3 years servicing.

Took my Yeti for its first service and asked for a update for the Sat Nav.  (Nothing mentioned about updates in the Accessories Brochure of Website). I presumed updates would be free and included in the Service.

Service Manager gave me an A4 sheet with instructions on how to download and update for the Sat Nav FREE.  Unfortunately this was for the New Octavia's Amudsen or Columbus.

After a lot of phone calls the Dealer informed me that an update SD card would be IRO £200.  To say I was miffed is an understatement.

The Amudsen+ cost £535. if I'd know updates were going to cost I wouldn't have purchased it in the first instance. I would have bought an off the shelf with Free updates.

I complained to Skoda Customer Services.  The outcome was tough luck.  I've asked them for a refund and to replace the Sat Nav with a Bolero FOC.  I await their decision.

WARNING.  If you're forking out for a Factory Fitted Sat Nav from SKODA beware because UPDATES are expensive.

• 1 year later...

So on an Amundsen RNS310 you cannot update free from the SKODA site. Is there anyway to update free or cheaper than the £200 SKODA quote?

2012 (V4) was the last update that came on CD, since then the updates have been SD only. These SD cards are not copyable as they are linked to the serial number of the SD card which can't be changed. On the RNS310 you also need to keep the SD inserted to use the navigation function so you're limited to either old maps or buying a genuine SD.

Best options are on ebay, 2015 (V7) looks to about about £110 and 2014 (V6) about £80.

2012 (V4) was the last update that came on CD, since then the updates have been SD only. These SD cards are not copyable as they are linked to the serial number of the SD card which can't be changed. On the RNS310 you also need to keep the SD inserted to use the navigation function so you're limited to either old maps or buying a genuine SD.

Best options are on ebay, 2015 (V7) looks to about about £110 and 2014 (V6) about £80.

So any SD purchased off eBay would have to be left in the unit for navigation? It won't install onto the unit?

So any SD purchased off eBay would have to be left in the unit for navigation? It won't install onto the unit?

Correct, for the Amundsen (RNS310) it will need the SD left in for navigation.

There is no hard drive or flash storage inside the unit so it needs the SD for the map data. It should be a 8GB card with about 3GB free for music files.

Shame really, with the earlier versions on CD you could either leave the CD in or the unit could copy the CD to a larger SD card giving more space for music. It's just not possible with the newer map updates I'm afraid.

• 3 months later...

So wish I'd found this thread an hour ago! Been tearing what hair I have left out trying to work out why I couldn't load vCards for a load of destinations into my Amundsen (in a 15-plate Superb II SE Business). Thanks to this thread I now know the model number for the unit is  RNS315 which via Google opens up a whole lot more resources - thank you.

In case it helps others, my issue was that the single SD card slot in front of the unit with a third-party SD loaded containing .vcf files came up "SD Error", whilst the same SD loaded with a single .mp3 would play said track. Thanks to this site: http://rns315.blogspot.co.uk/, I now know that i) the vCards have to be in a root folder on the card called \destinations and ii)  they need to be in a specific format - which out of the box Outlook 2013 does not adhere to when you create vCards...

Lots more useful hints on that blog too. Shame the user manual is so pants in comparison!

Edited by cozzyleicester