How to get 'Think Blue Trainer' for Citigo & Mii...

pixel_viking

OK, so I'm an incredible hacker :D didn't know I had it in me...

The branddevice.reg file is deleted automatically after first hack, so just add the file again and restart the unit - choose Skoda as your car and answer the 4 questions.

Power the unit on and let it start up as a Citigo version and Navigon Fresh is back online with a registered unit that can be updated with any new maps - VOILA...

Do I just pull this branddevice.reg from the back up

I backed up via navigon and also copied the folder to the laptop

Do I just pull this branddevice.reg from the back up

I backed up via navigon and also copied the folder to the laptop

Just create a new branddevice.reg file every time. It does not have to be the same one.

The startup screen is a two stage thing.

The first part is the one you can change.

1. Connect the unit to your PC.

2. Open the Navigon drive on your PC (the unit's hard drive)

3. Open the folder ChangeStartupScreens.

4. Folder 0 is VW - folder 3 is Skoda. Pick the one you want to change.

5. Each folder has a wallpaper.bmp file - this is the first image displayed when the unit starts up.

6. Create your own .bmp file - size should be 480x272.

7. Rename the original wallpaper.bmp to something else - say wallpaper-original.bmp

8. Import / transfer / drag&drop your own photo into folder 0 (if it is the vw logo you are changing)

9. Name that file wallpaper.bmp - make sure the size is 480x272

10. Disconnect the unit - it will restart (probably with the old vw logo image but the next power off / power on with the top power button will show your image).

Mine has been a bit odd if I try to change the photo often - it will sometimes take several power off / power on cycles to react to the new photo.

This is totally safe - no worries... :)

PS: If you want the VW logo to be exchanged with the skoda logo, just use the wallpaper.bmp from folder 3 - but remember that the startup is two stages and that it will show a vw logo at some point during startup. Maybe we can find the folder where they store the image for the second half of the startup cycle :)

Confirmed to work with the SEAT PID, got mine up and running at the weekend, thanks for the tip

Also need to change the splash screens, although oddly when I browse the bmp files in the Seat Folder they appear blank.

Did you try to double-click the files? Your computer should have a programme that will open them.

But if the unit shows a logo on startup, it will be fine.

Maybe just rename the file in the VW folder and copy/paste the SEAT logo file to the VW folder.

I think this has been a really great thread. I wonder why there isn't a Skoda version?

I've been using the Cruise view and I think it does make you think about the impact of acceleration and braking.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure mine doesn't seem any slower nor faster

I like the parking sensors screen better than the Citigo screen

Although will have to change it back when it's time to update the maps

• 3 weeks later...

cheers

I updated my maps but it was still showing on my pid and still is VW and in settings shows that I have got the updated map

I will revert to the Skoda screen and see what happens

Update

so I have reverted back to normal, it said plug in to your new car to configure, I put the key into ignition and so radio played, I then plugged PID in, then it said on PID Skoda and the settings for what you would do - so it automatically did it - when I hacked it to VW I had to manually chose the settings, I don't if that has something to do with having the ignition on or not 

Edited by Elegance75

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

New Citigo owner here.

I was trying this Mod to my PID and came across the following error -  'the vin is missing in configuration file, but needed in manual branding mode'

Any ideas why this is happening and how I get around it? I have tried plugging into the car and rebooting but still no joy.

Also worth noting I have the new Garmin variant of the PID.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Is it really worth potentially screwing up an expensive device just to get a software option that will be a 5 minute wonder????

I did wonder, since the only "economy device" that's ever worked for me is attached to my right ankle.

Playing games like "how far can you drive without using the brakes (includes sharp downshifts to lose speed)?" when stuck in queues of traffic is good training too.

• 1 month later...

I have the new Garmin PID, the hardware is different from the original Navigon branded device; there's no reset button and the case is slightly slimmer. The method described in this topic does not succeed on the new PID, results in the error previously described "VIN missing".

Has anyone managed to get the Blue Trainer working on the Skoda version. Incidentally, when you first plug the new PID into the car, it automatically gets the VIN number and model from the car, it then asks if this is correct, if you answer NO it just shuts down and ask the same question on restart.

• 10 months later...

the UserSettingsDevMode.default file is missing on our pid (2014) does anyone know a work around for later versions

I have searched all the forums over the last month or so and it doesn't seem like anyone has managed to achieve this yet :(

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone attach a screenshot of the coding in the  'UserSettingsDevMode.default' file as when i opened the settings folder of the Vwbrandevice folder that file didnt exist so ive had to create it but not sure on the coding that goes inside it