Octavia 3 and Skoda bashing

I had my car professionally detailed today. The detailer started by saying "I'd never buy a Skoda, why didn't you buy a Golf? After an hour " this paintwork is really good, better than a lot of more expensive cars" then " doors shut just like a Golf" finally "I have t.o say I'm very impressed the quality of this car is very good" ....but I still wouldn't buy one...... Last week he detailed Jay K's Birdcage Maserati (a £2 million classic car) yesterday a Bentley. I did say I lay odds you won't tell Jay K you detailed a Skoda!

If he had said that to me I would have told him to go an detail his own ass with his snow foam lance regardless how good at his job he is. Buy a golf indeed, I hope you told him you made a better choice because your not a f**king clone with more money than sense.
  • Like 2

I had my car professionally detailed today. The detailer started by saying "I'd never buy a Skoda, why didn't you buy a Golf?

Well, you didn't buy a Golf because the Octavia has all the same mechanical components as a golf, with a much bigger boot, more room in the back and you paid way less for it than an equivalent Golf.

You should reverse the question and ask him "why would you buy a golf?"

If he had said that to me I would have told him to go an detail his own ass with his snow foam lance regardless how good at his job he is.

^^^I actually spat my drink out with laughter when I read this!.....My thoughts exactly.

If he had said that to me I would have told him to go an detail his own ass with his snow foam lance regardless how good at his job he is. Buy a golf indeed, I hope you told him you made a better choice because your not a f**king clone with more money than sense.

I've known John many years and he is one of the best detailers in the country and has won many top prizes at prestigious concours events. He also happens to be a very nice chap. He is perfectly entitled to his opinion the same as we are. His only two real criticisms were that the interior is a bit plain - but he doesn't like the Mk. 7 Golf interior either, and the very heavy bonnet should be supported by hydraulic struts not a rod - which I agree with.

The appearance of my car is in a totally different league to when I collected it, the lustre of the paintwork is amazing now. It fully confirms what a total rip off Autoglym Lifeshine and the like is - for very similar money - that car dealers do all they can to push due to the mega margins they make on the sale of these products.

As I reported above, he was very complementary about the quality of build and paintwork. A real eye opener to him. But if he doesn't want a Skoda then that's his choice, that's fine and I can live with that.

If I'd spoken to him as you suggest it would give him the impression that only low life drive Skodas - and more importantly he wouldn't 'do any more cars for me!

I really don't give a flying f*ck what people think, or even say about the cars I drive. As long as I am happy with my choice then that is all that matters.

Some people on here seem far too defensive and sensitive about what someone says and thinks about Skodas, smacks of an inferiority complex, they are the ones with a problem rather than those that have unfounded prejudices about the brand.

Edited by Timoctav

My wife was against getting our octavia 3. She can't get past the brand name. Image is everything to her, brand clothes, brand foods etc. now I'm the opposite, I went ahead with the octavia 3 even though it was causing discontent in the camp.

I've had it a week and we've been out in it a couple of times. My wife is embarrassed by telling people what car we have, some have laughed at her (not helped me at all) others have said "it's a vw with a different badge, that's ok".

She wanted a VW golf, in white, sporty, sleek...etc.

I may have turned a corner today.

I saw a mk7 golf 5 door parked in a car park. It looked awful. Drab and angles everywhere, a design mess.

I pointed it out to SWMBO.

The reply? "Yuk, that looks so small compared to our car!"

There may be light at the end of the tunnel.....

To me skoda are,

Simply clever.

One simple answer to - Why didnt you buy a Golf ? Why am I going to pay a min of £1500 just for a VW badge, more on my insurance for the same Chassis & engine, more boot & passenger space, poor dealer service & higher servicing costs.

My wife is very impressed with our Octavia - but she's the one that encouraged me to buy one in the first place!!

My wife finally relented back in 99 with the Felicia and has since owned a couple of Fabia's herself including a vRS, she understands the value Skodas offer but doesn't get excited by them, shame.

Edited by stokey

Some people on here seem far too defensive and sensitive about what someone says and thinks about Skodas, smacks of an inferiority complex, they are the ones with a problem rather than those that have unfounded prejudices about the brand.

If I am paying someone to clean my brand new car, regardless of the brand, I would not expect a tirade of disrespectful comments and questions on my choice of car, I'd expect him to clean the car......and if I did receive such comments, I'd find a new Sponge boy.

My wife finally relented back in 99 with the Felicia and has since owned a couple of Fabia's herself including a vRS, she understands the value Skodas offer but doesn't get excited by them, shame.

Well that's what most of the reviews seems to say. Skoda's are certainly better value for money...but not very exciting cars to drive. I dont know what they mean by exciting.

I havent had a VRS models...but i am sure they are very exciting to drive.

Edited by dellfan

If I am paying someone to clean my brand new car, regardless of the brand, I would not expect a tirade of disrespectful comments and questions on my choice of car, I'd expect him to clean the car......and if I did receive such comments, I'd find a new Sponge boy.

Tirade it wasn't. Disrespectful it wasn't. Calling a detailer of this calibre, someone whom you have never met or had dealings with "a sponge boy" is most definitely extremely disrespectful. It is my brand new car, not your brand new car so do yourself, Fellow Skoda enthusiasts and Briskoda a favour and shut up.

You've clearly read far more into his comments than he intended. So what? He would never by a Skoda? Big deal!

Edited by Timoctav

The vRS CR is £135 a year to tax, £250 to insure, does circa 50mpg-totally boring,..........until you plant your right foot LOL

And no doubt the forthcoming vRS will be quicker, lower on tax and better on fuel.

Quite funny, parked on my parents driveway yesterday; their gardener came around and said to my Dad, whats this then with a Skoda on the driveway? Dad proceeded to tell him it was mine....and to my surprise said to him its a quick one and basically a VW to which the guy quickly changed his tune...well done old man!

My sister is buying my Audi from the lease company, and yesterday at a family barbecue, my brother-in-law's sister asked what s****y car new I was getting next. I said a Skoda and she burst out laughing. Looks like I will need to work on my heckler put-downs...

Ah - I have now been caught by the censor - S W A N K Y

I suppose that one is understandably enough :blush:

Edited by Juniperz

Yes there is still the stigma of Skoda's past! Cars like the latest Octavia will only hasten the demise of mis informed prejudice! My detailer was really surprised at the quality of my car, and he misses nothing. In his opinion the paint work is equal of VW and close to that of BMW - and he is a real BMW enthusiast - better than Mercedes Benz and Seat, not yet to Porsche standards but getting close, and in a different league from Aston Martin whose paint quality can be very patchy apparently, as can their reliability. In his experience Japanese and Korean manufacturers are a long way off European standards when it comes to paint, Hyundai particularly poor.

Praise indeed, even if he wouldn't buy one.

Edited by Timoctav

Badge snobs are losers, and they only engage in brand snobbery because they are mechanically ignorant and so gullible that they rely manufacturers' marketing hype instead of [a] independent reviews by widely experienced motoring writers, independent, impartial comaprison tables of reliability and ownership satisfaction and [c] first-hand motoring experience.

You can always tell people who have never driven a Skoda and whose opinions about the brand are at least 10 years out-of-date!

And I wouldn't bother to try to say "Skodas are good because they are really VWs under the skin". Skoda (for anyone who reads about cars and takes an inteligent interest in their design and manufacture) is a fine brand in its own right. In fact, I would be reluctant to buy a VW. I have heard many tales of woe from VW owners, especially about gearbox and clutch problems and arrogant, unhelpful VW dealers. And interestingly enough, nearly all these drivers have (on the advice of more knowledgeable friends) switched to Skodas, following which they have been delighted with the cars, their reliability and the dealership.

(To go off-topic - bit like Mazda MX-5s; their owners always laugh when some ignoramus describes them as "hairdressers' cars" because they know immediately that such people have clearly never driven one or probably never even sat in one, let alone owned one. Clued-up motoring writers of course never make such a mistake; they are fully aware of what an outstanding driver's car it is.)

So never let a Skoda critic bother you. You know that you are the winner - you are the one who has a Skoda, You also know which of you actually knows most about cars, as distinct from just knowing what the advertisements say.

Edited by Stuarted
  • Like 4

Tirade it wasn't. Disrespectful it wasn't. Calling a detailer of this calibre, someone whom you have never met or had dealings with "a sponge boy" is most definitely extremely disrespectful.

Yes, if I actually called him "a sponge boy". But I didn't......I was referring to what I would do in that situation in a hypothetical sense.

It is my brand new car, not your brand new car so do yourself, Fellow Skoda enthusiasts and Briskoda a favour and shut up.

......Now that's being extremely disrespectful.

Yes, if I actually called him "a sponge boy". But I didn't......I was referring to what I would do in that situation in a hypothetical sense.

......Now that's being extremely disrespectful.

For your information I asked my detailer for his opinions and impressions, he did not force them on me. The guy is extremely knowledgeable and for those that are prepared to listen, a lot can be learned. There is an awful lot more to detailing a car than just cleaning it, in fact he worked very hard for 6 hours to achieve a dramatic improvement to the car's appearance.

You seem to have totally overlooked the fact that he was generally very impressed with the quality of the Octavia, I do not understand what the problem is because he himself would not want a Skoda, he prefers a Golf or BMW and he is entitled to his opinion as much as you or I am. Respect that.

No future trying to discuss matters with you I'm afraid, as DavidF3911 says we are all on the same side - although you appear to hide it well. Further debate with you on this particular topic is now firmly closed.

Edited by Timoctav

For your information I asked my detailer for his opinions and impressions, he did not force them on me. The guy is extremely knowledgeable and for those that are prepared to listen, a lot can be learned. There is an awful lot more to detailing a car than just cleaning it, in fact he worked very hard for 6 hours to achieve a dramatic improvement to the car's appearance.

You seem to have totally overlooked the fact that he was generally very impressed with the quality of the Octavia, I do not understand what the problem is because he himself would not want a Skoda, he prefers a Golf or BMW and he is entitled to his opinion as much as you or I am. Respect that.

No future trying to discuss matters with you I'm afraid, as DavidF3911 says we are all on the same side - although you appear to hide it well. Further debate with you on this particular topic is now firmly closed.

We are an uptight one aren't we......are you sure you wouldn't be more at home in a BMW.

I look forward with interest to you first "some f***wit scuffed my car at ASDA" thread.

Happy motoring!

Edited by booke23

We are an uptight one aren't we......are you sure you wouldn't be more at home in a BMW.

I look forward with interest to you first "some f***wit scuffed my car at ASDA" thread.

Happy motoring!

Uptight? Not at all. I wasn't the one that went daft because someone dared to say that he wouldn't ever buy a Skoda, remember.

I've had several BMW's make no mistake they are better drivers car than Skodas as well as built of higher quality materials. But that isn't what I need. I need a comfortable, relaxing, reliable and economical car for my long daily commute. The Octavia fits the bill perfectly. BMW's are simply too expensive for that kind of high mileage duty unless someone else is paying.

If I need an adrenalin kick then I wheel out my sports car.

Happy and safe motoring to you as well.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

:happy: I've been driving Skodas since 1990 and I can confirm that the Estelle is the best car ever.

Yup, much as I've enjoyed my octavias, favorits, felicia and the yeti, the estelle was definitely the most enjoyable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2