1.6tdi as a town car?

My dealer advised me not to use my Monte Tdi for repeated short journeys as it would eventually clog up the DPF thus causing me financial heartache.

I know that's the logic, but i thought I'd read somewhere that the new common rail engines were much kinder to DPF's than the old PD units, .... something about how they are 'designed' to work with a DPF but the PD was designed pre 'DPF' and then DPF bolted on later?

Might be rubbish, I'm not sure ?

I know that's the logic, but i thought I'd read somewhere that the new common rail engines were much kinder to DPF's than the old PD units, .... something about how they are 'designed' to work with a DPF but the PD was designed pre 'DPF' and then DPF bolted on later?

Might be rubbish, I'm not sure ?

My aa man friend tells me all the dpf issues he attends are down to town driving, or sometimes even long motorway journeys where the revs don't rise above 2500rpm (which is when the dpf does its thing).

Petrol would be a better choice for town work IMO. Not only will you avoid any potential DPF issues but if you get a turbo they warm up quicker, which is especially handy in the Winter

Just buy a TSi, they have no dpf, are more refined, cheaper, nicer to drive and not to far of the tdi's economy around town.

Saying that if I wanted a town car I'd buy a 1.2 HTP 70.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/19246_Skoda_DPF_Leaflet_v7.pdf

Taken from above link.

Is there anything else I should know about DPF?

• If the DPF needs replacing and the guidelines/recommendations made by Škoda have not

been followed, the cost of replacement will not be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

• Frequent short journeys or stop/start driving may not provide optimum conditions for the

regeneration procedure.

• Consider your driving style and length of journey to allow for the driving conditions required

for DPF regeneration, as described in this leaflet and in the owner’s handbook.

It is advised that you consider the important information outlined, before ordering a vehicle

with a DPF. For any further information please contact your authorised Škoda retailer or repairer.

My aa man friend tells me all the dpf issues he attends are down to town driving, or sometimes even long motorway journeys where the revs don't rise above 2500rpm (which is when the dpf does its thing).

I think its vertually impossible to keep the car above 2500 RPM for more than 30 min (or what ever they reccomend) would be horrendously un ecconomical.

i use mine for short ish journies (5-25 miles most of time) and the occasional 300 mile run (home and back) 4-5 times a year and have done this with all my diesel engines and had no DPF issues.

Ok, so typically she'll do 3 miles each way to work, some of which is stop start traffic.

However, at weekends the car would be used to do longer journeys, as I'd give my octavia a 'rest' to equalise the mileage across both cars a bit. when I say longer journeys, I'm talking 20 miles or so in each direction on the motorway. Also, there'd be nothing to stop me using her car once a week to do a longer trip still.

Does that not lead you to think that a small petrol like a 1.2TSI would be fine,

just add petrol and drive as and when required and not need to consider length or speed of recent journeys.

Able to do all with sufficient economy and performance.

george

• Like 2

Buy a 1.2 Tsi and spare yourself a lot of trouble. Amazing wee engine. Prepare to join the many of us who have been amazed. I swapped a 2.0 Octavia for a, 1.2 yeti and my wife swapped a 1.9 audi A3 for a 1.2 golf

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Just to add my 5 penneth worth, I used a 1.6TDi (75hp) Monte for driving instruction and done 37k, averaged 43mpg with no troubles at all. My new Monte is currently on just over 4k, running a dream and already averaging 46mpg.

I went for the 1.2tsi in our new Rapid instead if the 1.6crdi.

Fuel consumption is just as good and you get a 6 speed box for longer journeys on the 105bhp (rapid only)

Just taken our TSI 86 Monte to Switzerland; did the out and back runs in a day covering almost 800 miles each way. The little TSI is more than capable of long runs and quieter than the diesel. Oh even better is the 1.2TSI hooked up to the 7 speed DSG (have one on loan currently), great refinement and performance; shame with the newer models like the Rapid they are not using this combo and getting the 1.4 instead.

TP

To buy a diesel is more expensive, fuel is more expensive, regeneration of dpf is expensive on fuel.....

Why not just get a petrol car instead?

This is the 21st century - what is the auto industry playing at with giving us dpfs that require particular driving styles or they 'play up'?

I know it's 'emissions' but isn't there a better way?

You have probably read that any dpf problems won't be covered by warranty - like I said :- save money and potential grief buy a petrol!

Swapped two non DPF cars and gone back to petrol for the very reason that you cannot get a new non DPF car if you use Diesel. Too many short runs now and I don't want to have the trouble of replacing expensive parts two years into ownership. I would have kept the old oil burners but One was way to big for our needs and the other was at the end of its useful life. Both cars gave sterling service but now having switched to the 1.2 tsi DSG I am the happiest I have been since owning my very old Volvo...... Back to one car too so saving loads on Tax Insurance and on road costs.... :drunk:

I think most of us 'low milers' are now going petrol to be sure of avoiding dpf issues. I have and don't regret it and I've been a diesel head most of my life. Mine is even the 1.6 petrol engine with auto 6 speed box and is wonderful however it's driven, but clearly not as economical as my diesel or the TSI petrol engine. Although in reality I've found it's not too different on fuel economy to the 105ps TSI in everyday driving of the sort my wife and I do. I'd certainly avoid the dpf diesels. There are individuals on here who have complained bitterly about fuel economy being poor when it's used as you wish to do, and the dpf is at risk too.

Seeing as I'm what could be described as an 'enthusiastic' driver, my Monte's exhaust should always be nice and toasty for the DPF to stay at working temperature. Also, I'm not fussed about ultimate fuel economy and love the low down torque that the Diesel engine offers. Horses for courses I guess.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not fussed about ultimate fuel economy and love the low down torque that the Diesel engine offers. Horses for courses I guess.

Me too...but the petrol engines now are very good at emmulating the diesel low down torque. I've frequently driven the 1.2TSI and it pulls like a train from 1500rpm. I took a 1.4TSI 140ps engine out the other day in an Octavia estate. It has 250nm of torque at 1400rpm and it maintained that to 4100rpm where bhp took over the task of driving it along somewhat rapidly. Very nice indeed it was and was much nicer, smoother and quieter to drive than the 1.6cr in my opinion and offering much more power. My 1.6 105ps petrol engine design is not quite so lively from that low down but coupled with the 6 speed auto box it goes like hell as the auto box lets it get the revs up quickly to where the power is. It doesn't compete with the turbo petrols though. One of the reasons the diesel engine is taking a back seat and is already in decline in the sales charts is the major step forwards in petrol engine design and better power and fuel economy. I was skeptical at first as to how good they would be but time has shown they are very good indeed. They are cheaper to buy too (as is petrol at the pumps which further offsets the slightly lower mpg) without any of the dpf or egr problems that can arise if you do shorter trips. Having said that I do know quite a few people with the 1.6cr who have not had any problems even doing low miles but they tend to make sure they do longer runs regularly each week. But I reckon the dpf is a liability on low miles, as do the manufacturers.

Edited by Estate Man

I've just changed to the 1.2 TSI engine after a few years driving Pug diesels and although they were good engines, they're not as entertaining as the 1.2 TSI.

I'm getting low 40's at the miute with only 500 mls on the clock so not much worse than the former diesels but definitely more smiles on my face.

• Like 1

many thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I was asking the question re the engine, but it won't actually be in a Fabia (Don't flame me, I drive an Octavia Vrs myself!) as I knew I'd get lots of input here!!

Been looking at Audi A1's for the wife, and was just about to put a deposit down on a 1.4tfsi competition edition (without all the stickers!) Via a main dealer, when a Sportback (5 door rather than 3 door) pops up as a private sale.

As we have 2 young children, the 5 door is a much better purchase, but the wife has been putting them in the back of a BMW coupe for the last 8 months, so the 3 door would have been ok.

Having now driven both the 1.4 tfsi and the 1.6tdi A1, I can honestly say that the TFSI would be my first choice, all other things being equal.....

.....unfortunately, all other things are not equal :no:

The 5 door private purchase, is 6 months newer (so six months extra warranty) comes with five years paid servicing (just a year old now, so four more years to go), has zero road tax vs £105pa for the TFSI, is higher spec, has the two extra doors and is literally in showroom condition with under 6k on the clock... oh and it's cheaper!

Ideally, I'd like to walk into Skoda and order her a new Fabia Vrs, but she doesn't like them unfortunately!

I had the 3 pot 1.4 TDI (no DPF) and had no problems at all.

I changed to a 1.6 CR90 TDI (with DPF) and I have to be very mindful about the dpf situation. I expect others (like myself) are acutely aware of how much this unit changes with the seasons - in winter it is so easy to foul up the DPF by town driving - the car runs so cold it rarely reaches proper operating temperature. In the current warmer weather period it copes well, and achieves working temperature without any particular problem.

Knowing what I now know - I would go for a 1.2 TSI if I looking at mainly town driving!

Hope this helps

• Like 1

The DPF would be a constant worry to me with my lowish mileage. I too have just bought a 1.2 Tsi, (105) with the 7 speed DSG and I just want to drive and drive it :love: !!

• Like 1