ICI type smell when switching engine off

Ziggy15

Hi, hope someone can help. Twice this week whilst on holiday when I,ve switched the engine off it,s produced an awful smell like from an ici chemical works. Has done longer journeys this week than usual, but not done the smell all the time, not even on longest journey to get here. Car is 2012, not a year old until September and has just passed 5400 miles, mostly short journeys. Any suggestions really appreciated as on holiday for another ten days before returning home. Thanks.

Can't help to be honest but mine still gets a petrol type wiffy smell (like if near to a petrol station).

Have to say not really sure what an ici smell is.

Could it be from the air con after it has not been used for a while. Maybe a musty smell?

Thanks for the responses folks. I guess rotten eggs is the best answer to anyone who doesn't,t know what a chemical works smells like. From Teesside myself, that is smoggy land. Lol Anyway not happening when reversing, and has only happened the twice,not at all in last two days trips. Holiday in Derbyshire at the mo. Read a couple of articles that mentioned cat converter,so a possibility,definitely not air con as certainly haven,t used it,don,t think it even has it. Wife,s car, and only basic model, she won,t pay for what she calls gadgets,just wanted a cheap reliable vehicle! Agree with the poster though who said they had a bloody awful smell,because it certainly was,not something you could mistake or imagine,and anyway on both occasions there were two of us in the car. First time was parking in a car park in Chesterfield, and we just put it down to the Towns smell,not really associating it with switching off. (Apologies to any Spireites around) second time was at Chatsworth. Thanks again,not at the moment overly worried,well at least until it re-occurs.

Like Feebet surmised first, isn't rotten eggs the smell that comes from the catalyst and out of the exhyaust pipe? Something to do with the catalyst burning off sulphur in the petrol it would seem, from reading a few articles. Maybe you filled up with petrol from a different garage to your usual one?

Edited by JimmyR

It's under warranty, Skoda dealers in Chesterfield and Sheffield or even Derby. If you are worried about it give one of them a visit.

Edited by MickA

As I am originally from Chesterfield I would say it didn't used to smell like rotten eggs. In the good old days it used to smell of the Trebor factory, which was lovely, until they knocked it down. Bolsover on the other hand used to smell like TCP from the Coalite plant, but that has gone as well and is now J29A of the M1.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's under warranty, Skoda dealers in Chesterfield and Sheffield or even Derby. If you are worried about it give one of them a visit.

I wouldn't bother with Gordon Lamb, they struggle to locate their own posterior with both hands and a clearly labelled map.

Once had a car that when switching off ignition quite often smelt of cat's pee. No pun intended but garage told me it was catalytic converter.

After a few thousand miles the smell disappeared or perhaps my olfactory senses had become dulled.