Any Trouble free DSG7 DQ200 owners

REALLY worried about the DSG DQ200 DSG. Recalls all over and the Danish Organization of Motorists (FDM) is now officially keeping an eye out for this gearbox and problems reported buy owners. According to the recall, cars being produced currently are not affected. However, I really don't trust this.

My engine will be the 1.4 140 BHP.

Any high mileage dsg7 owners and what do you think of the liability of DSG7? I will buy extended warranty- so a total of 5 years.

Edited by Nicolai

REALLY worried about the DSG DQ200 DSG. Recalls all over and the Danish Organization of Motorists (FDM) is now officially keeping an eye out for this gearbox and problems reported buy owners. According to the recall, cars being produced currently are not affected. However, I really don't trust this.

Any high mileage dsg7 owners and what do you think of the liability of DSG7? I will buy extended warranty- so a total of 5 years.

I guess you don't want to hear this, but that's the same gearbox (AFAIK) as the Fabia VRS - mine's being replaced as I've had nothing but issues with it. Not covered 40K miles yet...

Had two. 60K in the first box matched to the 1.8 TSI, no problems though sometimes it got a bit confused.

Got it in the 1.4 twin charge, again no problems and it get maximum thrash quite a bit of the time. 33K miles on that one.

Really pleased it does not have the service costs that the wet 6 speed does.

Go for the 5 year/100K miles waranty of course.

Box is engineered for 400 K KMs in normal use.

I have it in my current fabia vRS, no issues, I had it in my last fabia vRS , 50k and it was still working "as new" (had one minor glitch during that time that sorted itself out with a restart)

I liked it so much I got another! lol... according to a skoda master tech my friend spole to, its the most reliable DSG they have built (no inherent issues) so it should run 200k without problem. (I know a taxi driver with the 6-speed thats done 250k, and its stiill going strong!) they come with a 100k warrenty in china. remember VAg have been making these gearboxes longer than anyone else....

louis has said his is being replaced, a few have been, but they seem to either have a problem early (that will be replaced under warrenty) or go on forever..... I think there are only about 4 been replaced stated on the fabia forums (correct me if I'm wrong louis) which really is a drop in the ocean with the number of ones working perfectly (and the numer of twincharger engines with oil problems!)

dont stress it. enjoy it, its a cracking gearbox!

Plus the rest, I take it you still have the box of tricks on it?

nope, that was on the old car, sold the box, keeping the new new car engine untouched (may keep it for over 100k if it stays 5 years! may replace at 3 years depending on what the new fabia vRS is like!) and fettling the suspension instead ;) its lowered on eibachs, and I have a RARB on its way :) (so far...)

edit for OP, these comments are still valid, as they show the DSG7 can happily take more power and torque than stated ;) for example the TMC box was generating 200bhp and 205lbs ft of torque, thats approx 278 NM ... and still work perfectly over many miles without breaking....

250 Nm is the normal torque limit to achieve the 400K Km life expectancy.

With petrols, as they rev more, it suits them up to and including all but the latest 1.8 TSI (180 hp).

My Mk 2 Octavia, 250 Nm from 1700 to 4500 rpm where it was producng 160 hp (at least, felt more like 170-180 compared to the VRS) and then a flat power plateau up to 6500 and gentle tailing of to 7000 rpm.

Prefered this short stroke version of the EA888 that the VRS which I easily over-rev as it has the lower rev ceiling and low gearing.

Wish they would beef up the 7 speed a little bit to handle the 280 Nm or so as it would give lower CO2 and better MPG that the wet 6 speed.

Plenty of tuning houses run the box at up to 380 Nm with few issues but one would expect the clutches not to last quite as long as with the stardard torque limit.

This irritates the hell out of me.

Please find me the actual quote where it says 250NM is the limit of this box.

Vag state that for engines running 250NM or under get the 7 spd DSG, for engines upto350NM its the 6 Spd DSG . That is not the limit, that is just the brackets that they use to assign their gearboxes, it merely states it is more effective in applications under 250NM. FWIW, the DSG has its own torque limiters to protect the box. These are set at 350NM. If the DSG couldnt handle 350NM then they wouldnt set the limiters at 350NM. Simple as that.

Both DSG dual-clutch gearboxes are application-specific. The 6-speed is paired with high torque engines (up to 350 Nm) while the 7-speed variant is more effective in combination with smaller engines and torque outputs of up to 250 Nm.
  • Like 1

This irritates the hell out of me.

Please find me the actual quote where it says 250NM is the limit of this box.

Vag state that for engines running 250NM or under get the 7 spd DSG, for engines upto350NM its the 6 Spd DSG . That is not the limit, that is just the brackets that they use to assign their gearboxes, it merely states it is more effective in applications under 250NM. FWIW, the DSG has its own torque limiters to protect the box. These are set at 350NM. If the DSG couldnt handle 350NM then they wouldnt set the limiters at 350NM. Simple as that.

why the frustration?!?!?

i'm yet to find the dsg7 version, but this is from the VW "Self-study programme 308" (DSG6), on page 5........

Designation DSG 02E (direct shift gearbox)

Weight Approx. 94 kg front-wheel drive, 109 kg 4motion

Torque Maximum 350 Nm (depending on engine)

Clutch Two multi-layer wet plate clutches

Gear stages Six forward, one reverse gear (all synchronised)

Operating mode Automatic and Tiptronic

Oil volume 7.2 ltr. DSG oil G052 182

i'm sure that's the safe maximum.  the boxes are capable of much more.  how much more......don't know.

i've got an apr stg 1 tune - this apparently makes my engine output 402Nm, 50 more than the dsg6's maximum torque rating.

i've heard of people with more torque.....those these guys usually ended up upgrading their dsg clutch packs and software.

guess it depends on safe u want to play.

As i quoted before.  "Both DSG dual-clutch gearboxes are application-specific."

Thats not the safe maximum or the torque limit of the gearbox, that is the upper limit that they apply for deciding which gearbox is installed against which stock engine output.  In this case upto 350NM is what they use as the application limits.  350Nm just so happens to be the output of an S3.  If it was above 350NM output then they use the 7spd Wet DSG box.

FWIW, i know of people who have run over 500lbft (677NM) with a stage 2+K04 running nitrous though the DSG6 wet box with no clutch issues.

This is purely peoples interpretation of articles.

The DQ250 is a better box than the DQ200 IMO, had both, liked both, had no problems with either but the DQ250 is definitely smoother.

A few factors make the 7 speed wet more appealing than the six speed wet DSG

1. The six speed does not even fit in the Polo/Fabia chassis
  2. 6 speed worsens fuel consumption (and by inference power at wheels) where as the 7 speed in cases is better than the manual option.
  3. The 6 speed cost about £100 every 40K miles to change is 6 litres or so of oil whereas the 7 speed has no such costs
  4. The six speed is 20 Kgs or so heavier than the manual, the seven speed is about the same as the manual
  5. To me the six speed feels more solid but also slower to change, seems to suit the diesels, the 7 speed seems faster to change and suits the petrol engines.
  6. The very high 7th gear makes for very relaxed cruising.  On the 1.8 TSI and 1.4 twin charge in 7th and at 75 mph the revs are only 40% or so of the maximum.  Both engines revs to 7K rpm and at motorway speeds are revving well below 3K.
  7. With more gears it is easier for the box to pick an optimum gear. 

Both the 1.8 TSI and 1.4 twin charge produce good torque for their weight from 1500 rpm through to 6500 when the power starts to tail and the box going from 7th to 4th ie a cog in the other cluster seems to work very well where the pairing in the six speed does not work so well IMHO.  

@lol-lol, don't confuse the DQ250 in "lower" class/level cars with engines such as the 1.8TSI and 1.4TSI with the DQ500 in "higher" level applications (such as the Tiguan).

They are both 7 speed, but only the DQ500 has wet clutches, while the 7 speed DQ250 used with engines such as those you mention has dry clutches.

It would be more or less impossible to have a wet clutch gearbox (manual or automatic) and have no maintenance cost over the life of the unit, like you claim. The gearbox oil will have to be replaced after a certain mileage (even if it's 50k, 100k, 150k etc). Or you're asking for trouble at higher mileages.

You are correct about the other points though, more gears, better use of the rpm range, lower weight etc. I would still hope that VW does consider using the DQ500 in more "plebeian" applications.