Contactless technology

Macdemon

It was on BBC's Watchdog a few weeks age, and if you have TWO contactless cards in your purse of wallet, and you use one of the cards....it can also take a duplicate payment off the other card so you've paid twice,

Naah argh not me. :no:

Well the simple thing is that you open your wallet, take out the card you want to use and touch the machine with it. Simples.

I saw a woman in M&S, who hadn't bought anything, paying for someone elses shopping whilst going through a 'till lane' to get out. Her bag did actually brush the machine. Her fault?

Yeah to be honest, she obviously went through the lane while someone was paying and must have pushed her out of the way when she was paying and its only ready once the cashier has processed the goods and it is awaiting the card touching the machine, where was the person who was actually buying the stuff? You would think they would have been standing at the till?

Most annoying thing I've found is that you don't get a receipt for contactless payment.

I've always got a receipt that is the same as any other receipt other than at the bottom it says card could not be authenticated or words to that effect.

It was on BBC's Watchdog a few weeks age, and if you have TWO contactless cards in your purse of wallet, and you use one of the cards....it can also take a duplicate payment off the other card so you've paid twice,

Well the simple thing is that you open your wallet, take out the card you want to use and touch the machine with it. Simples.

Why is it called 'contactless' technology then??

The idea is that you DON'T have to 'tap' the card on the machine and that's the point I'm making.

Another thing is, who is walking down the high street 'harvesting' your card details without your knowledge???

The idea is that you DON'T have to 'tap' the card on the machine and that's the point I'm making.

Another thing is, who is walking down the high street 'harvesting' your card details without your knowledge???

I know what you're saying and it will work the way you want it too however if YOU decide to have more than one card in the same wallet then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you use that and not the other. The system isn't magic and has its limitations.

Also since the card only works within about 7cm and there's a £15 limit unless you ask for that to be increased I don't think people harvesting your details will be much of a problem.

7cm is enough to probably get the details of most men at somewhere like a busy London Underground station

Most people that will be scanning the cards won't be applying a charge they will be using the numbers else where that don't have the same £15 limit

Over in America card scanning is become a much bigger problem with it being used more over there

If you have an nfc phone, it's incredibly easy to do, especially in queues or lifts.

You can then use apps to clone the data, and a thief can present their phone to beam your card data to a payment terminal.

But as above, you still can't pay twice ;)

7cm is enough to probably get the details of most men at somewhere like a busy London Underground station

7cm is a favourable case - hitting the right angle on a reader for it to be picked up. Realistically 2-4 cm is a more likely range, and even that would be patchy in terms of reliability - it's going to look very suspicious harvesting card details that way in public. There are more reliable ways to get a higher yield of cards, and more useful information to boot (for the information you get off scanning a contactless card you might as well just use a PAN generator).

Not a fan of this. I use Oyster all the time, I have a season ticket and PAYG when I go out of the season ticket zone. If I loose it the only thing they can do is use it in the zones, or £20 beyond it. The amount that I loose is limit to £20, and I can get it replaced at any LU and most rail station.

Contactless bank card my be limited to £30 transactions but how many could someone do before you realised you'd lost the card? How often is the security checked one in 30 transactions? That's £900 right there. If some doesn't enter the pin do the store take it off you? If not will it challenge for the pin the next it's used?

Sorry don't trust it, and I certainly don't trust the banks.

I used a contactless credit card to pay for something and the charge didn't go on my bill. Bonus!

A retailer has upto 180 days to collect payment from you.

Learned that when disputing a payment on our account for a restaurant when we were both miles away. Learned it was for 2 weeks previous

A retailer has upto 180 days to collect payment from you.

Learned that when disputing a payment on our account for a restaurant when we were both miles away. Learned it was for 2 weeks previous

And that is why I don't trust banks.

Thats all well and good 180 days credit but then when you find one month that every place decides to bank the charge and you find £100's of extra charges.

Unless you have got a offset mortgage you are going to make bugger all from keeping the money in your current account. I would much rather it came out straight away and know what I have spent each month. Don't understand why it does not happen. All the tech is there to make it near instant.

Thats all well and good 180 days credit but then when you find one month that every place decides to bank the charge and you find £100's of extra charges.

Unless you have got a offset mortgage you are going to make bugger all from keeping the money in your current account. I would much rather it came out straight away and know what I have spent each month. Don't understand why it does not happen. All the tech is there to make it near instant.

Usually most stuff should depart either instantly, or within 3 days.

I have had an NCP stay in London that took 3 months to appear on the works credit card statement.  Luckily I kept the receipt to send to the office.

It's funny really.

I tried again, in vain, to use the contactless tech in, again, KFC.

After multiple attempts I, again, reverted to chip and pin.  The staff were completely clueless as to why it wouldnt accept.

However, as I walked away, bag of poultry treats in hand, I remembered this thread and the £20 limit on contactless tech payment.  The reasons for spending more than £20 in KFC are irrelevant... :giggle:

But clearly, it flags up the need for proper staff training too, to be able to understand the systems they are expected to use and communicate with the customer.  Ok, it's a worker at KFC, but it's not brain surgery either :think:

It's funny really.

I tried again, in vain, to use the contactless tech in, again, KFC.

After multiple attempts I, again, reverted to chip and pin.  The staff were completely clueless as to why it wouldnt accept.

However, as I walked away, bag of poultry treats in hand, I remembered this thread and the £20 limit on contactless tech payment.  The reasons for spending more than £20 in KFC are irrelevant... :giggle:

But clearly, it flags up the need for proper staff training too, to be able to understand the systems they are expected to use and communicate with the customer.  Ok, it's a worker at KFC, but it's not brain surgery either :think:

They have to press the contactless button on their till after selecting card payment from what I've seen when I've been on site

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this discussion, didn't spot it ... but ...

Firstly: If you have a contactless card and you're not happy about it, there's an easy fix - put some tin foil in your wallet/purse that's in the same area as the card slot you put the card in. It inhibits the NFC RF and in the case of all low-power transmitters (i.e. payment terminals) it prevents them from communicating with the card. You don't need to wrap the card in the foil, just have something of the same physical footprint in the same area of the wallet (my wallet has a pouch which is immediately behind the card slots, very handy).

Second: I hate NFC. Specifically, I hate NFC cards that are linked to my debit and credit accounts. Pre-pay/top-up systems such as oyster where I am in control of the amount of funds available is fine, but my main account or credit card account? oh hell no!

• Like 1

I wouldn't bank with barclays under ANY circumstances..................bunch of thieving, lying scammers.  :sick: