Up! based on Citigo

loadinglevelone

I talked to a salesman from my local Skoda dealer today and he told be something strange:

"Not a lot of people know this, but Skoda was first. The Up! is actually based on Skoda's Citigo concept - not the other way around."

Uhm... Is this really true, or was it all just some strange salepitch?

Edited by loadinglevelone

its pretty irrelevant which one got to market first as its fundamentally the exact same car underneath and was designed from day one to be sold under the different badges. :)

• Like 2

Yeah I agree, it doesnt really matter who came first.

Still, the salesguy made it sound like Skoda was the brains behind triplets, whereas VW and Seat just tagged along.

Oh well... doesnt matter I guess...

I can't see it. If Skoda had been first it wouldn't have suffered from some hand me down styling issues such as the uneven window seal on three door models.

Mostly likely sales BS...

Take a step back and look at it, there's bugger-all margin in small cars, so they need volume to make a profit. To be honest, I'm surprised we've not seen a Bentley badged one in a similar vein to the Aston Martin Cygnet...

• Like 2

A bit off topic but relevent. I was watching an episode of 5th gear yesterday, it was an old one and featured the Citigo, Up, and Mii. They tested all three and of course the Up came out on top. They said that the Up was more powerful compared to the other two and also compared the road holding, the Up won that battle too, suprise, suprise.

So what do they do to the Up model to make these so called motoring experts think they are more superior, or are they just badge snobs? I know what I think :kiss:

Edited by MickA

Mostly likely sales BS...

Take a step back and look at it, there's bugger-all margin in small cars, so they need volume to make a profit. To be honest, I'm surprised we've not seen a Bentley badged one in a similar vein to the Aston Martin Cygnet...

oooo a W12 Bentley lump in a Citigo, that'd be nice :D
  • Like 1

A bit off topic but relevent. I was watching an episode of 5th gear yesterday, it was an old one and featured the Citigo, Up, and Mii. They tested all three and of course the Up came out on top. They said that the Up was more powerful compared to the other two and also compared the road holding, the Up won that battle too, suprise, suprise.

So what do they do to the Up model to make these so called motoring experts think they are more superior, or are they just badge snobs? I know what I think :kiss:

A spot of 'agenda-ism'. Not sure if that is a real word (I suspect not) but if VW group lend them one of each car I'm sure they will have had a nudge at the production team to big-up the more expensive one. Or am I just a cold hearted cynic?!!

Edited by Usernamealreadytaken

Thing is though, that its not just fifth gear who's done that. I've read quite a few reviews that basically sums up the same thing:

Up! = Desired (feels the best)

Citigo = Recommended (best value)

Mii = Meh! (inbetween the above)

Edited by loadinglevelone
  • Like 1

I don't care which came first and I don't take any notice of what any of the Magazines and car programs say. All that matters to me is I like the Citigo It is just a damn good car. Good quality, Fantastic price (more for your money compared to the others) and drives like a dream.

Edited by Owens

All that matters to me is I like the Citigo It is just a damn good car. Good quality, Fantastic price (more for your money compared to the others) and drives like a dream.

...which is why I ordered a brand new citigo yesterday :)

I don't care which came first and I don't take any notice of what any of the Magazines and car programs say. All that matters to me is I like the Citigo It is just a damn good car. Good quality, Fantastic price (more for your money compared to the others) and drives like a dream.

I don't really take any notice either of prgrammes like TG or 5th Gear. Rarely watch them either but Suzi Perry was on that programme yesterday so I stayed tuned :love: :kiss:

I know that skoda make the engines and gearboxes for VW and Seat, I've seen it in the factory at melada boleslav... ;) "and these particular gearboxes are going to be exported to seat..."

They don't make all the engines and gearboxes for VW and SEAT but they make quite a lot of them, and for Audi too :)

Bet the Audi sales guys don't tell their customers the 1.2 and 1.4TSI are made by Skoda! I noticed some of the components in my Rapid's engine bay are labelled "VW Audi CZ". Cheeky buggers :D

not sure about that , because the 1.4 tsi in my fabia vRS is made by Audi ;) the guy doing the factory tour was quite well informed and knew his stats! the 1.2 tsi id defo made by skoda, that was the egine we saw on the test bench when being explained the quality control!

edit : when I said my statement, I didn't qualify... the engines and gearboxes for the Up! and Mi ... obviously lots of the other engines are made elswhere :)

The VW Up was designed by a VW team lead by VW's head of design, Walter de Silva and the VW brand design chief, Klaus Bischoff. All 3 versions - VW, Skoda & Seat are made in the same factory at Bratislava. It is a VW car. A bit like the situation with the Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo and the small Peugeot, (which are all variations on the Toyota Aygo design), but the Up/Citigo/Mii is streets ahead in every area. I'd go as far as to say that the VAG car is possibly the best small car that has ever been made (and I owned several original Mini's)

The best is yet to come - the VW engineering boss Dr Ulrich Hackenberg is the brains behind the VW Up Gt which is about to hit the VW dealers in a couple of months. The 3 pot engine turbo'ed to 109bhp, 6 speed box, probably discs all round, lowered, big allys, redesigned front, (looks great I think), probably twin exhaust pipes and very very quick, with a top end of about 120mph. Oh - and tartan seats like the original Golf Gti

The return of the proper hot hatch! Autocar have driven it and raved about it. Definitely my next car. As VW are tooling up to do the turbo motor, economies of scale surely must mean they will let Skoda and Seat use this engine in the Citigo and the Mii after a few months.

What I would like for Christmas is a Citigo Vrs in Race Blue please !! I've owned some good hot hatches over the years, but I've got a feeling that the little Up Gt may well turn out to be the best of the lot in its own way. It could be as epic as the original 1960's Mini Cooper 'S'

• Like 2

not sure about that , because the 1.4 tsi in my fabia vRS is made by Audi ;) the guy doing the factory tour was quite well informed and knew his stats! the 1.2 tsi id defo made by skoda, that was the egine we saw on the test bench when being explained the quality control!

Yes, all 1.2TSIs and the new generation 1.4TSI are built by Skoda.

Didn't know they built the 1.0s in the UpMiiGo though?