Suzuki Swift.......anyone ...?

While taking a look at the Citigo in the local dealer......it was a brief perusal as the car was locked and the salesman (yes there was 1...!) was preparing a Yeti test drive..

So I wandered over to the Suzuki side of the showroom and checked out the latest version (with minor improvements apparently) of the Swift and what a smart little car it looks too.

It makes the ancient Fabia look pretty sad I think.

As anyone got any knowledge or experience of this car....?

Currently on vat free so seems like a good deal......or is it a cheapo rattly bag of nails....?

Not personally but it's been recommended in quite a few threads especially the Sport. You'd be as well having a quick search.

Does well enough in all the driver surveys.

Edited by Aspman

There was a new Sport on the car park in a deep red colour and it looked very nice.

The SZ4 range topper with a great spec(not the sporty one though) is about £11.5 k vat free so pretty good methinks.

I drive past a Suzuki dealership sometimes on the way to the beach and every time i see the swift sports i want one.

I've drove a 55 plate one and i was really surprised! light, nimble and 150bhp is a lot of fun especially with a decat and the usual intake mods which makes it sound really nice!

Interior did feel a bit naff but the seats hunkered my arse into place. big wheels would be expensive for decent tyres though which is a down point imo on a small car.

Anyhoo, get one there ace :)

I have 1 which i'm looking to trade but not 100% decided what for? was looking at a Polo 1.2tsi but decided against it? - no rattles, 47-48mpg around town on my 7 mile commute and quiet to drive

I bought mine when i was looking at a Fabia VRS, the oil problems on the VRS put me off but i'm thinking if i can get 1 less than 3 years old so still in warranty i should be ok?

Anyone got a VRS in green, pref black roof/wheels in mint condition? might be open to a swap? 

mine - 2012, 12 plate, 8000 miles 

100_0846_zps297b2a4b.jpg

100_0848noplate_zpsba0252a7.jpg

Best stick with the Swift unless you were certain on the vRS.

It would need to have had the Engine replaced and now have the Warranty Extended by Skoda, 

or be prepared to have the engine replaced in your ownership before the warranty expires if it did turn out to be a bad one.

Not everyone is currently having engines replaced without some delays just now,

they were just a short while ago.

Best look at the Current troubles in the section that some are having with Skoda UK and warranty repairs.

george

Just to echo the comments above really. I'd stick with the Swift!!

I'm not sure a Fabia vRS makes any sense as an ownership proposition, once out of warranty, given the potential for engine issues.

I nearly bought one when they came out (offered at £12.5K new), but felt the DSG box detracted from the sporty nature of the car. Still a fun car, but a scary prospect out of warranty.

A friend "in the trade" told me recently they will keep getting cheaper and cheaper and will devalue rapidly, once out of warranty . The Swift however is well regarded, fun to drive and reliable.

• Like 1

Yep the engine problem is the big worry - as i don't keep cars long (average 3-4 months) if i can get 1 with a years warranty left i can sell it on later with remaining warranty which would help, no warranty then no/ little chance of passing it on?

I haven't driven the new VRS (had a 2004 years ago with lots of mods) and was unsure of the DSG but it seems it's a good thing when you get used to it according to a lot of VAG owners?

Doesn't seem to be much choice these days for <£10k cars upto 2 years old with a bit of performance, even later shape (2008>) STs and VXRs are £9k - £10k and they have numerous issues :(

Many of us love the vRS Twincharger & DSG and the ability or choice to do 22 mpg or 42+ depending on the mood.

You just need to be aware of when or why some have serious problems,

& how VAG prefers it to be swept under the carpet.

There are real bargains to be had of very good vRS, its just a bit of a lottery though.

A Suzuki Swift is a pretty safe buy for anyone that needs to sell again without the concern of finding a private buyer for it.

george

Mate of mine runs an ST-3. Great to drive and according to the RAC guy who recovered his old car (RX8) - pretty much bullet proof. Only 20 mpg though :sweat:

I had a ST2 (2007my) a couple of years ago, common problems included

oil filter housing diaphram, power steering hose, driveshafts, ABS module, wheels bearings, alternator - not bullet proof cars and the problems were expensive ones :(

i'd have another as long as it came with a comprehensive warranty

There's a good chance I won't be keeping mine past warranty. I was considering selling it not long ago because of work problems and getting a Swift Sport instead. My brother has the old one and has been great. You can kick it's head in and it just asks "is that all you've got?!". The new one has 6spd now which it really needed. Paint is a bit thin on them but apart from that it's been fantastic for him.

What I go for next I really don't know. It won't be brand new and will be something I can rag around a but more. I'm driving the Sport this week because the tyres on the vRS are too low. Swapping cogs and heel toeing is "slower" than DSG but great fun. I still love the vRS and like how the DSG box works but with talk of manuals in decline I want to make the most of the good ones while I'll still have chance to.

A friend has Sport - its brilliant fun and has been bomb proof reliable. If its reliability and an engaging drive, id without doubt look at the Swift. Theres also some newer models coming though now with the option of 4wd - could be interesting to see what they do with these engine wise after the initial launch. :)

It depends how desperate you are for ownership of a specific brand and what you have in mind for the vehicle you purchase. Have heard good things about the Swift but they're from folk who describe things as 'cute' or 'nippy'. They also appear to be most reliable and like you say can be picked up on a great deal looking at the sticker emblazoned examples outside our local dealer. 

A friend has Sport - its brilliant fun and has been bomb proof reliable. If its reliability and an engaging drive, id without doubt look at the Swift. Theres also some newer models coming though now with the option of 4wd - could be interesting to see what they do with these engine wise after the initial launch. :)

Asked Suzuki on Twitter and will only come with a 1.2 in 4wd, sound like a rival to the Fiat Panda. Sport 5dr is coming though. Japan have had those for ages