Yeti vs Evoque

kilted

I'm at the lower end of the LR vs Skoda decision making process. I had a budget of £12K and was looking at 08/09 FL2s when someone mentioned had I considered a Yeti? I hadn't. I went to view a few and after my initial doubts about spending £12K on a Skoda I went for the Yeti.

The LR was a compelling package and the badge a large part of the draw but the more I investigated ownership the more expensive it looked. Fuel consumption was not great, servicing pricey, some big ticket items suffering failures. I was going off the idea of one and started looking at Suzuki Grande Vitaras instead, good lord they're dull. And then I went to view a Yeti. For the same money as the FL2 I got more kit, better build quality, newer and a more economical car for my money. 

Styling is a personal thing. I like the Ewok styling in 5 door and I'm pleased JLR have full order books, it's good for UK business. I love the look of the FL2s as they have a chunky Tonka Toy look about them. I also love the look of the Yeti, it's quirky but purposeful and I really like the the spot lights on the Pre-Facelift cars. 

In summary, I would have been happy to drive any of my choices (well except maybe the Vitara) but the Yeti was the best combination of kit, looks, practicality and value. We'll see how I feel after a years ownership.

Finally I ought to add that the Stereo typical Yeti owner seems to be a Caravan and dog owning couple in their 50s to the outside world. That ain't me. 37, massive petrol head, down with the kids (I think ha ha) and the Yeti will be used to tow my Supercharged MK1 MX5 race car and to sleep in it at race events.

• Like 1

^ Good luck to you sir, I suppose I'm sort of stereo typical, have a dog, mid 60's, but transport large radio controlled boats about in it, along with the dog, also tow a car transporter, which carries my marlin kit car to various events , tours etc here in Brittany, mainly finistere, cannot fault the car,just the dippy driver ; - D)

• Like 1

I'm at the lower end of the LR vs Skoda decision making process. I had a budget of £12K and was looking at 08/09 FL2s when someone mentioned had I considered a Yeti? I hadn't. I went to view a few and after my initial doubts about spending £12K on a Skoda I went for the Yeti.

The LR was a compelling package and the badge a large part of the draw but the more I investigated ownership the more expensive it looked. Fuel consumption was not great, servicing pricey, some big ticket items suffering failures. I was going off the idea of one and started looking at Suzuki Grande Vitaras instead, good lord they're dull. And then I went to view a Yeti. For the same money as the FL2 I got more kit, better build quality, newer and a more economical car for my money. 

Styling is a personal thing. I like the Ewok styling in 5 door and I'm pleased JLR have full order books, it's good for UK business. I love the look of the FL2s as they have a chunky Tonka Toy look about them. I also love the look of the Yeti, it's quirky but purposeful and I really like the the spot lights on the Pre-Facelift cars. 

In summary, I would have been happy to drive any of my choices (well except maybe the Vitara) but the Yeti was the best combination of kit, looks, practicality and value. We'll see how I feel after a years ownership.

Finally I ought to add that the Stereo typical Yeti owner seems to be a Caravan and dog owning couple in their 50s to the outside world. That ain't me. 37, massive petrol head, down with the kids (I think ha ha) and the Yeti will be used to tow my Supercharged MK1 MX5 race car and to sleep in it at race events.

Definitely not the stereotypical Yeti owner either - just over 40 with no dog or caravan. Just know what I like in a car (have had a few in my time) and love the Yeti (hence why I am on my second.

Just couldn't get on with the Ewok - despite all the kit it didn't feel as nice to drive (I like the car type feel of the Yeti rather than the floaty feel of the Ewok)

Considered an Evoque and then reality set in, they are far too pricey for me to justify the expense and it's too wide to fit in our garage. Yes, it does look like a trainer, but then in my opinion the Yeti looks slightly gawky too. I can forgive it, I rather like the lumpen Skoda aesthetic, I think the boxy Skoda is a better fit in the countryside. However, the Evoque probably best reflects the aspirations of modern country dwellers, I just can't envision it crapped up in a sheep field doing the job of a faithful Defender or Disco. So, probably right not to give it a workhorse LR badge.

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a black edition Yeti, which my Dad mistook for a Hummer when we passed him in the street yesterday! It was nearly dark and he'd had a couple of pints, so we forgave him ;-).

Finally, in response to the girl car/ boy car comment. I'm a woman driving a Yeti, so if you are a car misogenist, sorry to erode your manliness, the Yeti is a girls car too. I'll go back to my flower arranging now.

• Like 1

The Evoque is really just a Freelander in drag. Not a bad looking car in the right spec but at the end of the day its just a flash looking 4 cylinder soft roader that is neither particularly practical or good value for money.

Also as a bloke people look at you as if you are some wealthy wally whose borrowed his missus wheels or worse still as someone who wants a Rangie Sport or full on Rover and cant afford one.

I feared the worst when it was announced that Victoria beckham had been involved in the design-not my cup of tea....

So with you on that one  :D.

One thing that would shut a Evoque driver up, mention driver power results  :D

Yeti 2nd,..................................................Evoque 116th  :D  :D

I guess the extra money you pay goes towards the extra 114 positions.