4x4 or 4x2

I am toying between a 2 or 4 wheel drive car for next January. What are the pros for 4 wheel drive as I already have a 2 we.d.Apart from a bit of snow and towing a caravan is it worth the extra 3k

Cheers

Kk

I would stay with 2WD and buy a cheap Suzuki Jimny for the winter. The Suzi really does go anywhere for little money and not worried about having my Superb out on the roads when all the nutters are out there.

I am toying between a 2 or 4 wheel drive car for next January. What are the pros for 4 wheel drive as I already have a 2 we.d.Apart from a bit of snow and towing a caravan is it worth the extra 3k

Cheers

Kk

4x4:

More weight.

More traction.

Unless you need the capability it's not worth it.

A set of winter tyres is cheaper.

But personally I do like the extra traction.

• Like 1

I have over 100,000km on my 4x4 and it's a great piece of kit. I got the car in January 2011 and it has hardly seen snow since. (Ireland). In 2010 we had 8 weeks of snow, there's always a chance we'll get another long spell. That said, the 4x4 system is useful 52 weeks of the year.

If you are an "enthusiastic" driver, and like to push the car on a bit, then you will get full advantage of the 4x4 system. If you are not that way inclined then you will only get the advantages on frosty/snowy roads.

4x4 for me anyday and tbh I really like the haldex setup for road use. Great for snow and rain and even just general handling and only an 80kg weight penalty. I'd always have it if it was an option on the model I was considering. :)

Didn't think about the weight difference. More weight the better,it will make towing the van even more stable. Superb I'm in Ireland also so may pew we will go up Sally's Gap when I get mine. Think my mind is made up,K&K 4x4 DSG ,170 bhi. (Phew more letters than a doctor)

Didn't think about the weight difference. More weight the better,it will make towing the van even more stable. Superb I'm in Ireland also so may pew we will go up Sally's Gap when I get mine. Think my mind is made up,K&K 4x4 DSG ,170 bhi. (Phew more letters than a doctor)

Freudian slip there? L&K, methinks!

I bought the Elegance 4x4 Twindoor 170 from new in March 2012.  Recently changed caravans from a Swift Challenger 540 - MTPLM 1500Kg to Coachman VIP 454/4 - MTPLM 1625Kg and was a little unsure as most outfit pairing websites said the Superb, even as a 4x4 is a little light but loads of power.

The Coachman is a heavy caravan BUT the Superb towed it as if it wasn't there (well almost) and I got over 30mpg whilst towing.  I was already very VERY happy with my Superb, but my fears about the weight of the caravan were completely blown away on first outing.

I have been towing caravans for 30+ years throughout the UK and Europe, mainly with the bigger 4x4 type SUVs but I must say the Superb is the best towcar I've ever had.  The luggage space is HUGE and no need to put extras inside the caravan.

With the 170 engine, there is oodles of power, quick off the mark and once under way was able to put car in cruise control (traffic permitting) and sit back and enjoy.  I am delighted with this car and the way it performs.  The extra cost is WELL worth it if you tow a caravan.

Don't forget, the 170 4x4 Twindoor won Towcar Of The Year ward in 2009!

If I were to be in the position right now of buying again I'd definitely go for the 170 4x4 - it's great!

Edited by Optimist
  • Like 1

Don't do the Land Rover, I Love em! We had a Rangie, followed by a Disco 2, they cost a fortune to maintain but if you want you can subscribe to the lifestyle, nothing will stop em.

We've bought a Superb 4x4, good tyres and winter won't affect us. My dreams of Sarn Helen, or Mid Wales by tracks are just that, a dream. Get good tyres and you'll beat most British winters with intellect driving.

Picked up my new 170ps 4x4 manual pre FL hatchback on 5th June, bought the 4x4 for the extra weight to give the car/caravan weight ratio a little boost, already towed 3 times, and it is a great towbar, plenty power, about 30mpg, all in all delighted with the experience

Edited by MLJ
  • Like 1

Agree with Optimist. I have a 4x4 L&K 170 Combi manual bought last autumn with spare set of alloys and fitted these with Michelin winter tyres for my country use.

Well worth the investment. During this last winter with these tyres fitted and using throughout the snow and ice, went where I wanted whenever I wanted. This included several trips to South Wales down the A470 or the A49 in poor weather and I only saw the traction warning light on once all winter with this combination.

I do press on but the confidence the Superb still gives in sub zero conditions knocks spots over my other vehicles even with either winter tyres (a Partner also with 'Ultragrip' traction control) or four wheel drive alone (an Impreza WRX). Will keep Superb for 4-5 years at least so winter tyres used mid-November to March will pay for themselves over this period and Luna alloys much easier to keep clean in the winter weather than the fiddly 20 spoke L&K alloys.

Awesome, and still more than 50mpg average over 10k to boot as 4WD only kicks in when it needs to (use mine mainly on A-class roads and longer journeys). Don't listen to the naysayers; you'll appreciate it if you can afford it.

The 140 4x4 with DSG was a little underpowered and a bit too much transmission noise when I've tested two of these previously; yet to check out either the latest 170 4x4 with DSG or the 140 4x4 with manual but these changes will presumably reduce the contrast between them. I'd really prefer a diesel 200 4x4 with DSG if they'd be persuaded to do one next time round; here's hoping!

• Like 1

We replaced an Octavia 1.9 4x4 combi with a 2.0 170 L&K 4x4 combi in April. The Octy used to tow a 1410kg MTPLM caravan which always seemed to struggle with stability. The Superb was rock solid.

We have just come back from a 1500 mile 2 week holiday to the south west of France. It towed a dream. On the trip I was averaging 26mpg but we were following French towing limits also we had the A/C on all the time.

Also the car just doesn't drain you when you drive it.

The only thing I would say is that the car did struggle slightly on hills. The PD Octy I had would power up pretty much anything in 6th where as the CR Superb would at times need to be dropped in to 5th and on occasions 4th.

But this slight annoyance shouldn't put you off the 4x4.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

Hi!

2WD since I do not tow anything. For me, 4WD is just extra dead weight and a function that will draw some extra money, not just driving it but also another service point. And another potentially heavy repair object. I'm to old to drive that offensive that I can take advantage of 4WD anyway so 2WD for me.  :happy: 

/Superbjoser 

• Like 1