Difference between Rear Basic light / light with LED diodes

This issue was started in another thread so I figured I'll start a new one since it doesn't quite belong there.

In case you are keen on the ''LED rear lights option'' and you think you will get full LED light cluster with that you are wrong. All you get are LED tail and brake lights and that's it. Fog, turn and back-up lights are the same ''standard'' bulbs in both options.

The instructions manual contains some sketches of inner and outer parts of both rear lights but it does not explain the functions of bulbs inside. I added some tags to the pictures bellow to be more clear.

Octavia

Rear lights OctyIII

Octavia Estate

Rear lights OctyIII Estate

EDIT: mistake in tags

Edited by PekoSI
  • Like 2

Personally it doesn't bother me. Having the stop and tail lamps as LEDs are the most important as they are seen far more often than any of the others and make the statement, style wise. :)

Personally it doesn't bother me. Having the stop and tail lamps as LEDs are the most important as they are seen far more often than any of the others and make the statement, style wise. :)

I agree to an point but deep down I feel a little bit shafted that the siginal/indicator light is not LED... Anyway, I'll stick up the pictures on Thursday when I collect.

• Like 1

i thought the indicators lights were LEDs  :(

and whats the matter in the headlights ???

No led for turn signal unfortunately. Neither in front nor rear. 

Headlights are either 1)Standard halogen 2)Bi-xenon or 3)Bi-xenon with LED (here you get DRL in that LED strip)

@laurpat

Those are LED tail light strips for sure but you will have to make a video of other lights (turning them on/off) to show what they are. Standard lights will be dimming in/out (still quite fast) while LEDs will just turn on/off instantly...

@laurpat

Those are LED tail light strips for sure but you will have to make a video of other lights (turning them on/off) to show what they are. Standard lights will be dimming in/out (still quite fast) while LEDs will just turn on/off instantly...

PEkoSI , Will make a video over the weekend. The signal are standard bulbs along with the fog light. The LED is only brake and tail light... 

• Like 1

Anybody knows the bulb type of indicators(front and rear)? Seen somewhere that the front indicators are pwy24w? Would like to change front and rear indicators to led. I believe it would be better. But haven't seen anywhere this type of bulb in led version.

Cheers!

PEkoSI , Will make a video over the weekend. The signal are standard bulbs along with the fog light. The LED is only brake and tail light... 

Folks - Really sorry for the delay here. Have a video that is on the other half's phone but it's 29MB in size so she couldn't gmail the file. I've tried to share with google docs and that didn't work.. Finally I'm going to get her to upload it to photobucket tomorrow. Any other suggestions? 

Sorry again for the delay. BTW I Love them!

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone who already have his Octy give us the type of bulbs used for front and rear turnlights, back-up and back fog light so we can buy some nice LED error free bulbs  :nerd:  ??

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would imagine cost woukd play a part in the design plus things like led indicators may cause flash rate errors and theres longevity consideration. I've seen rear leds clusters fail on a four year old audi a8 with 25k on the clock. Another reason why i had 5yr warranty. I like leds but don't feel they've perfected the tech just yet. Yes, i know lots of modern cars have them. Sides and brakes get seen the most so i'm happy.

Anyone have the adaptations for the LED tailights? I changed my taillights from regular to LED but now my MFD is showing errors.

No surprise there!

PM me your email address and I will email you a full adaptation map for 09 - it has been tweaked slightly but if you compare it your adaptation map you should be able to work out the rear lights.