Bolero BT - quick question

.....although there is a version of RNS510 that has DAB........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-LED-Brand-NEW-Latest-DAB-Version-V10-maps-1T0-035-686-C-/121148371231?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c3501711f

.....but at £1200 I suspect that's beyond the budget! ;) ;)

Amundsen/RNS315 certainly looks LED screen to me. I know the SD card is lightning fast, certainly on my 16Gb Class 4 (I know Bolero has major problems with large cards, I don't know if Columbus has the same issue.) Columbus can play DVDs and connect to rear displays. I've not compared the pins between the two models, so I can't say if 315 does it as well.

I'm pretty sure 315 won't do video out as that is a separate connector block to the main quadlock.

That's a lot of money to get a Columbus with the wrong colour scheme just for DAB (although the boot screen can be changed).

1. Do the Columbus & Amundsen(+) fit exactly into the same space of an existing Bolero?  i.e. wouldn't require purchasing any extra bit of trim etc..?

2. Do "non-skoda branded" RNS-510 & RNS 315 fit exactly into the same space of an existing Bolero?  i.e. wouldn't require purchasing any extra bit of trim etc..?

I'm pretty sure 315 won't do video out as that is a separate connector block to the main quadlock.

That's a lot of money to get a Columbus with the wrong colour scheme just for DAB (although the boot screen can be changed).

Yup, found the pinouts for the other connector: it is essentially for the RVC on the 315.

That's a lot of money for a Columbus full stop. ;)

1. Do the Columbus & Amundsen(+) fit exactly into the same space of an existing Bolero?  i.e. wouldn't require purchasing any extra bit of trim etc..?

2. Do "non-skoda branded" RNS-510 & RNS 315 fit exactly into the same space of an existing Bolero?  i.e. wouldn't require purchasing any extra bit of trim etc..?

Bolero is a different shape to all the other units.

Columbus/Amundsen/+/510/315 are all the same shape. (regardless of branding)

If you have Bolero now, you'll be needing a new fascia.

The other alternative is to get something like a Parrot kit fitted. The Bolero has a phone input/over-ride, so it would still auto-mute when in-call. Plenty of space in the dash-board for all the gubbins too. :)

No voice control though, but from what I understand, it's not *that* good.

No voice control though, but from what I understand, it's not *that* good.

Correct. It's not perfect and is even downright annoying. But I've not found any that are (not that I've tried many).

I'm not certain the Bolero can have voice control. It seems to be the domain of the Columbus and Amundsen+ units.

I'm not certain the Bolero can have voice control. It seems to be the domain of the Columbus and Amundsen+ units.

Ah RNS315 (Amundsen + ) Will only do voice dialling, there's no control over the unit beyond that (so no changing input selection etc). Neither will it pass on commands to the phone. (not the SGSIII or Duvet Thief's iPhone anyway). It reads your phonebook and has it's own voice recognition system. (so far so good 3/3 right calls made to people)

At least with a decent 3rd party kit (e.g. Parrot) you can have more control of the phone at least. Given the way phones are going these days anyway, that could well be the way of the future. IIRC PID on the Citygo is bluetooth, and that seems to do quite a bit, so if you could use the phone instead of PID....... ;) ;)

I started this post a little while ago, just to let you know I've ended up ordering this part from car systems, who advised was the best BT kit for me.

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-kit-7p6035730k-retrofit-newest-version,id600.html

Next I am going to attempt to fit it, and then probably asking someone nicely to code it for me :wonder:

I'll let you know how it goes...gulp..

I started this post a little while ago, just to let you know I've ended up ordering this part from car systems, who advised was the best BT kit for me.

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-kit-7p6035730k-retrofit-newest-version,id600.html

Next I am going to attempt to fit it, and then probably asking someone nicely to code it for me :wonder:

I'll let you know how it goes...gulp..

Well done on taking the plunge! Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I still have a few questions regarding the set up which you'll be able to answer for definite! I assume the unit is going to take a little while to ship across?

Well done on taking the plunge! Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I still have a few questions regarding the set up which you'll be able to answer for definite! I assume the unit is going to take a little while to ship across?

Took a week to arrive. Hoping to attempt fitting in the next week or so!

Watching this one closely as we have just picked up a FL vRS that seems to have all the options except the BT and nav. Not really bothered about nav but the BT would be useful esp since it already has a maxi dot. Out of interest is yours a dsg? Would this impact in the unit I should be looking for?

DSG won't make any difference. Maxidot will but most of the newer units integrate with the white Maxidot anyway so you'll be pretty safe.

• Like 1

I got in touch with Car Systems who advised me that I'd need this kit:

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-kit-3c8035730c-retrofit,id601.html

I wonder what the difference is, aside from price? I'm pretty sure I have the same set up as you - bog standard Bolero.

The second one (Id601) is a premium kit with the external antenna.

This means that the BT module will take over the phone signal (saving battery) and also enable text messages appearing on your head unit.

I believe it also deactivates the Internet access from the phone while connected.

The second one (Id601) is a premium kit with the external antenna.

This means that the BT module will take over the phone signal (saving battery) and also enable text messages appearing on your head unit.

I believe it also deactivates the Internet access from the phone while connected.

According to the description, it's got the suicidal reply to text messages via MaxiDot too!

I don't need the antenna - where would I install that anyway? Nice to have rather than essential.

I don't need to see text messages in the maxi-dot.

I really don't want the internet deactivated on the phone as I use the Waze app as a sat nav and that requires an active 3G connection to be effective. I also want to use the phone to select music, podcasts, playlists etc as well or in preference to the Bolero.

With that in mind should I assume the cheaper product is actually the best one for me?

I'm interested in this as well (2010 octavia with bolero & maxidot but no MFSW).

I've noticed that some sellers say that you must have maxidot and MFSW to pair the phone if using the 3C8035730C option. Is this really true, or can the stalk buttons be used instead?

I'm really wondering if its worth going for the premium/rsap option.

I recently purchased a brand new 3C8035730C Premium kit, but I don`t have MAXIDOT !!!!

I now have to buy another module. I now have the premium module ( rsap/HUV) and GSM antenna for sale if anyones interested !

I recently purchased a brand new 3C8035730C Premium kit, but I don`t have MAXIDOT !!!!

I now have to buy another module. I now have the premium module ( rsap/HUV) and GSM antenna for sale if anyones interested !

I would have been, but bit the bullet and already ordered one (which I am told will work with maxidot and wiper stalk controls).

I didn't go for the 7P6... option because a few people on here have had problems with the phone book not showing correctly on the bolero and my bolero seems to be the older type this can happen with.

I would have been, but bit the bullet and already ordered one (which I am told will work with maxidot and wiper stalk controls).

I didn't go for the 7P6... option because a few people on here have had problems with the phone book not showing correctly on the bolero and my bolero seems to be the older type this can happen with.

This is what the car systems guy told me. Avoid the 7P6 with the Bolero he said. So Is it just some Boleros? In which case what Boleros suffer with this phone book problem? I have a 2011 one. Am I safe?