Mythical vRS button....

Ummm, wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't actually appear. Would be abit odd for skoda to have added it on as an afterthought at this stage? Smells like BS tbh. Could be wrong tho! Lol

Well it ain't mythical now...

What it actually does is another question...

I'll be miffed if it turns the dials red.... That's audi territory. :p

Never mind, found this...

Also affecting the handling is the addition of XDS+, a development of VW’s inside wheel-braking electronics which mimic a differential. As well as working on the front axle, it now operates on the rear, too. Progressive Steering – which is of variable ratio and notably tightens up the turning circle – is also standard. Compared to standard, this Octavia rides 12mm lower (13mm for the estate). There are different driving modes (Eco, Normal, Sport, Indivudual) selectable via a centre console-mounted vRS button, with a sharper throttle, weightier steering and a rather vocal sound synthesiser activated when Sport is chosen.

• Like 2

Well it ain't mythical now...

What it actually does is another question...

I'll be miffed if it turns the dials red.... That's audi territory. :p

turns the A/C on in the drivers side cubby HTH

• Like 4

There was a dynamics button on an Elegance I drove. Felt like it sharpened up the throttle, fiddled with the suspension and made it a more sporty drive. Others disagreed, but I drove it and knew what it felt like. 

^^^ This, it can alter steering feel as thats electric and

as such infinitely adjustable. And throttle response as thats fly by wire. 

Anything else is just in your head, you need magnetic dampers

(vags preferred method of doing this) to change suspension and

I don't think it will have those as standard somehow.

Sounds like something Vauxhall would do on the Corsa to entice more youngsters to buy it, not really something I would expect from Skoda but there you go, that's progress for you!

I did say "felt like"....irrespective of whether it actually had active dampers etc - there was a definite difference somehow.

The latest edition of Evo has a one pager on the vRS this month. Overall it was rated as 4 out of 5, the plus point being bargain family holdall and the negative being compromised ride difficult to live with.

In respect of the vRS button they said the following;

All vRS models come with four switchable 'Driving Mode Selection' program's as standard, but because the dampers are fixed rate, the ride quality remains the same whichever mode is selected. What this vRS desperately needs is the Adaptive Chasis Contol set-up from the Golf GTI, because that system delivers excellent ride quality as well as great body control.

So there is much to love about the Octavia vRS: it looks good and offers an excellent mix of pace and space for an acceptable price, but that compromised ride is a problem. For such an otherwise likeable car, that's a real shame.

I took a pic of the demonstrator VRS (petrol,dsg,combi) at Mitchells Skoda Chester, the button was just plain 'mode'.

The one I drove at Claybank Skoda was the same, as was the one I sat in at Goodwood.

I took a pic of the demonstrator VRS (petrol,dsg,combi) at Mitchells Skoda Chester, the button was just plain 'mode'.

All vRSs up to week 30 (approx) don't have the button with the vRS logo on it. Don't quote me on week number, my brain isn't wired to deal with week numbers, dates, that's something I can handle ;)

Hi guys.

I test drove the vRS estate yesterday. It also had the 'mode' button for driving modes on the right of the console by my left knee.

The pic of the vRS button is on the left side of the console. Presumably that's for the continent.

James

• 5 weeks later...