VRS Winter Wheel Sizes

The spare on the Mk2 VRS is 205/55/R16 tyre on a steel rim, so I would assume that the spare on the Mk3 VRS is one of the 17" versions listed in my post above - I'm afraid that I will not be able to confirm this until the new car arrives :happy: .

I recall that someone on the VRS thread mentioned that they had agreed with the dealer that they were just going to swap their spare from Mk2 to the Mk3 - this may not be suitable now.

that was me :( think I'd better make a trip to the dealer to see if they have a spare wheel in their vrs to check.

In the Mk3 vRS wagon at the National Meet I had a look under the boot floor and I'm pretty certain it wasn't a full size spare, ie a 205/55/16 we're used to from the Octy2.

• Like 1

Hi everyone - first post from me as I pick up my Oct III 2.0TDi DSG Race Blue Elegance estate (+ winter pack, sunset glass and bi-xenons) on 01 Sep (the dealer is opening on Sunday so I can pick up my new Reg car)! This will also be my first skoda as I'm 'upgrading' from a Volvo V60.

Back on track, and I know this is a VRS winter tyre thread, but can anyone please confirm what size 16" tyres I should be looking at for winter? I'm working on the assumption that non-VRS cars won't have an issue with larger calipers. Many thanks.

• Like 1

Hi everyone - first post from me as I pick up my Oct III 2.0TDi DSG Race Blue Elegance estate (+ winter pack, sunset glass and bi-xenons) on 01 Sep (the dealer is opening on Sunday so I can pick up my new Reg car)! This will also be my first skoda as I'm 'upgrading' from a Volvo V60.

Back on track, and I know this is a VRS winter tyre thread, but can anyone please confirm what size 16" tyres I should be looking at for winter? I'm working on the assumption that non-VRS cars won't have an issue with larger calipers. Many thanks.

205/55/R16, 6J x 16 ET48, 5x112 PCD. Don't quote me on the offset (ET figure) as the document I have has been translated from czech to german to english. There may be a few decent second hand sets that will be sold by Mk2 VRS owners that are trading up to the Mk3 VRS in the not too distant future. Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Like 1

ET48 would be fine.

On the 16s though, we just need to confirm caliper and front disc size info. Beyond about 320mm 16s get pretty tight, and then there's wheel design and spoke clearance to consider as well.

just to update the thread.  Thanks to CharleyB for checking his VRS space saver which gave these dimensions - 125/70 R18

so it will be off to the dealer for me tomorrow to double check and probably try and squeeze a spare wheel into my order as I wont be able to use my current 16" steel spare as thought :(

what's the options for the 17 inch steelies/alloys from the vag stable?

(im thinking second hand rims here)!!

John96,

Quite a common VAG wheel size.

A few of the sets that I've seen for sale in Germany on auction sites are from Audi A3 / A4 / A5 or VW Passat CC, but second hand alloys are still circa €800.

There is not too much difference between new OEM Skoda alloys and new non-OEM alloys in terms of price for complete packages (circa €1000 / €850 less tax?) - obviously with non-OEM you have more choice over the brand of tyre fitted - non-OEM price quoted above is for Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes on some 'functional' black 5 spoke alloys (obviously cheaper tyres are available). 

Advice received so far from reifen.com et al is to use the 225/45/17s as they are the more common size and thus are cheaper to buy/replace.

John96,

Quite a common VAG wheel size.

A few of the sets that I've seen for sale in Germany on auction sites are from Audi A3 / A4 / A5 or VW Passat CC, but second hand alloys are still circa €800.

There is not too much difference between new OEM Skoda alloys and new non-OEM alloys in terms of price for complete packages (circa €1000 / €850 less tax?) - obviously with non-OEM you have more choice over the brand of tyre fitted - non-OEM price quoted above is for Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes on some 'functional' black 5 spoke alloys (obviously cheaper tyres are available). 

Advice received so far from reifen.com et al is to use the 225/45/17s as they are the more common size and thus are cheaper to buy/replace.

cheers pal,

i pick mine up sometime in oct i hope!

so looking at those prices i recon steellies is the way to go!

Im on leave after work today, i will go to skoda dealer and get prices for complete set and post for info!

so looking at those prices i recon steellies is the way to go!

I'll wait out for you next post...

I'd be interested to see a direct comparison between the cost for the OEM alloys / steel wheels. From my experience last year there wasn't a significant amount of difference between the two.

So, it's definately looking like 17's are going to be the way to go then for winter wheels? That's typical as I got my 16's refurbished & fresh tyres put on them last year!!! Guess it'll be eBay for them then.

I take it most 5x112 wheels from VW/Audi/Skoda etc will be ok for the new VRs?

just been to dealer here in paderborn. 205 50 r17 alloy "crystal" on continental ts830p is €353 each!

deffo will be looking second hand. even with the tax off this is still thick end of 1000 euro

Well, we already have VRS owners on the forum. The easiest would be for them to just try and put a 16" wheel on the car (front). But that'll never happen until winter time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick reply - but I doubt that the front discs are that large (17" is approx 432 mm).  I thought that the new Mk7 GTI front discs were 340 mm (13.4")?  Am I right in assuming that you mean 17" alloys will fit?

The front disc size on the standard Mk7 GTi is still 312mm, only the Performance Pack version gets 340mm front discs and vented rears

So I would expect the new VRS to have still have the 312mm brakes of the standard GTi which 16s will fit over - unless they have a new type of bigger caliper, as I run 312mm with 16s with no trouble

As it's been stated a million times over :) the car has 340mm front disks and 272mm rear disks. I've gone and seen a VRS myself yesterday and there's no way you could fit 16" wheels over those disks+calipers.

The car comes with 17" wheels as standard in a lot of European countries (including Romania).