National Service Bill 2013-2014?

theezenutz

Be nice to see a single UK league; that might take away the annual Celtic/ Rangers cup league ;)

Not gonna happen the Scottish are too proud. They could take a leaf out of the Welsh's book and let there two biggest teams join the English league, but I doubt it.

Edited by theezenutz

we aren't citizens though, we're 'subjects' :(

How will this even be funded when the Govt. is slashing the defence budget and sacking personel left, right and centre :think:

Don't worry, this 'bill' has nothing to do with armed forces service, I think you'll find it is instead about something totally different however the OP to trying to scaremonger people just as his other thread.

• Like 1

Don't worry, this 'bill' has nothing to do with armed forces service, I think you'll find it is instead about something totally different however the OP to trying to scaremonger people just as his other thread.

I didn't realise God had "A" country, I always thought that the supreme being had the Universe.

His powers must be diminishing.

You learn something new everyday

Edited by theezenutz

I didn't realise God had "A" country, I always thought that the supreme being had the Universe.

His powers must be diminishing.

You learn something new everyday

The most pointless reply I have ever read and just proves your naive and immature posts. Edited by mdon
  • Like 1

Do you realise how bitter that last sentence sounded?

Sorry, but I'm sick of hearing how it's always the fault of somebody in Westminster (many of whom are not the English that get blamed).

When any group who blames them don't have them to blame what will they do?

Sick of your comments like on me being Bitter when i post my posts. & others posts.

Difficult to understand where you come from with your posts.

None of your business really the reason for any post content, but bitter does not even come into it.

If it is comments on Nationality and anything English, then thats not bitterness, just comments, and observations.

What amuses me with your comment is that i am not pro Independence.

just anti Westminster mis-management of the UK, but mostly the greed of parts of the UK..

2 of the last Prime Ministers were Scottish and David Camerons father was Scottish,

Look at the recent past Chancellors of the Exchequer, 2 Scots, Darling and Brown.

so not picking out only English MP's  for particular responsibility for the mess that is allowed to happen in the UK..

Scotland does send the dross and wasters south to Westminster,

& sometimes it is the English Voters that give them their seats in parliament.

george

PS, For anyone interested, Celtic FC & Rangers are not in the same football league in Scotland,

Not this season and not last season.

They have played each other 399 times in the past, but not sure when the New Rangers might get back to 

being good enough to get a game against Celtic if ever..

The most pointless reply I have ever read and just proves your naive and immature posts.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I just noticed that you have stated your location as being in God's country I was intrigued as to why someone would put that. I honestly thought (even with limited knowledge on religion) that God created the Universe, I wasn't aware that he is known to of created, or taken credit for creating a specific country.

I wish you were right now I would love to give u a big cuddle - u beautiful, beautiful man. 

Mr Nutz,

you seem to be able to find lots of cr ap using Google, so why don't you try looking up the term "God's Country. Since it is a term that has been used for many, many years I'm sure that you will be enlightened.

• Like 1

Mr Nutz,

you seem to be able to find lots of cr ap using Google, so why don't you try looking up the term "God's Country. Since it is a term that has been used for many, many years I'm sure that you will be enlightened.

I think we have successfully derailed nutz's argument to the point where he just posts nonsensical rubbish.

Aha.... I've seen the word postscript used in this thread, I like that word...

Anyway on to my point, this is not a witch hunt thread where newbies get flamed by the way, a subject like this is always going to be controversial and somebody else's opinion is still valid even if it's not to your liking, also please no circumventing the swear filter folks as well, theres a certain amount of irony attached to that feeding the trolls statement... And can we keep this on topic too erm.. Scottish independence or whatever it was about again?

Yeah, erm.. Please carry on posting in this thread folks, it's all very interesting.

OK it was about national service, the army don't want it, the government can't afford it, the bill is a private members' bill and has no more chance of becoming law than I have of becoming US President.

Done.

dusted.

OK it was about national service, the army don't want it, the government can't afford it, the bill is a private members' bill and has no more chance of becoming law than I have of becoming US President.

Done.

dusted.

And the bill has nothing to do with national service as we understand it. In fact, Im willing to bet it has nothing to do with armed forces at all. The whole thread is pointless as no one has any idea what it's about as it isn't published yet so the whole thread is redundant and just a opportunity for the OP to vent about American military and other rubbish.

• Like 2

not allowed, just ask Mr Schwarzeneger.

Times change, not that long ago that men and women were kept in slavery. But for the moment you may have to settle for being a Governor.  

• Like 1

As an ex-service person,this will never work. The reason why the our armed forces are regarded highly is the fact is made up of people who volunteer to join up,not someone who is forced to do it. The father in law joined up as a volunteer when national service was mandatory last time and the trouble they had with the conscripts was rife.people shooting themselves in the foot to get discharged,people claiming to be gay,so they can get chucked out. So it be even worse now with the human rights lawyers and the compensation brigade,will leave the MOD open to loads of potential claims.

Next part is what I'm afraid in what could potentially happen if national service does happen. Obviously every citizen of the UK,except people with physical disabilities, would be expected to serve. Religious or any other beliefs won't be used as an excuse not to serve. We are currently engaged in a conflict with certain extremists throughout the globe. So what's happens if we force people to do national service and then someone decides to join a extremist faction after they complete their national service. They been trained to use weapons effectively and most of all,they know how our military operate in theatres of conflict,so can use that knowledge to their advantage. And also remember several members of our armed forces have killed by so called "allies" over the last few years,where a local policeman or soldier has killed them in the safety of our own camps. Whoever this MP is,needs to sit down and look at the bigger picture. I bet if it comes off,not one MPs son,daughter or grandchildren would be doing national service.

Sorry about the rant,but since leaving the army,I worked with enough work shy colleagues,who moan at everything at work and these are the people who shouldn't be allowed into the military

• Like 3

Lets face it, EHRA ensures that this will never happen- its a non-story. Can you imagine a government forcing someone to join the army? I think you'll find that prohibited by law 

National Service wouldn't necessarily have to be in the armed forces though, and having tens of thousands of unwilling conscripts could bring it's own issues, as well as not being needed.

Fairly obviously, this isn't going to happen, but *if* it was introduced, any mandatory period of national service could easily be extended to provide a range of non-military options for people who wouldn't be "right" for the forces for whatever reason.

Just think about what could be achieved by everyone doing a year or two of productive, paid community work.

• Like 1

since leaving the army,I worked with enough work shy colleagues,who moan at everything at work and these are the people who shouldn't be allowed into the military

Sounds like you joined the RAF?   :giggle:

Sounds like you joined the RAF?   :giggle:

Yes in the Navy the RAF are known as the flying cival servants.  They get much nicer accomodation etc on their bases.  Still the piolots do a job I wouldn't fancy.