Fabia VRs Monte?

Gcj

1/ we know the Monte Carlo is a great sales success

2/ we know the VRs Fabia has not been a sales success

3 we know the Fabia mk 3 is not far away

4/ we know that Skoda CEO says there will not be a Fabia VRs mk 3

5/ possibly some 180hp twin charger engines to use up in stock

6/ UK has ended the no VAT deal so VRS sales of Fabia likely to dry up further

So the simple idea is a Monte Carlo VRs special edition run-out model with a decent 1,500 to 2,000 pound price cut in a limited number of colours - I believe the blue and green are the most popular and they have the advantage in the marketing department of being able to be marketed as metallic - or if cost an issue then red and white like the Monte tech.

I know that I would be interested, if simply to stop my wife insisting her white Monte is better looking than my Fabia VRs mk2 (green).

Feel free to shoot me down in flames if this is utter nonsense but my gut feeling is that Skoda will want to try and boost sales of VRs Fabias before retiring it as the mark 3 is introduced. Mechanically it can't be much of an issue !!!

• Like 2

VAG got the whole vRS thing massively wrong with the Mk II. The manual CR140 Ibiza FR and the manual CR140 Polo both outsell the automatic petrol equivalents and it won't be long before you can buy a Mk II vRS for less than a Mk I. People like diesels. People like manuals. Add in the fact that the early vRS's were tarred with DSG and oil consumption issues and you'd have to say they got wrong.

Now, a manual vRS with a CR170 in it would sell like hot cakes. Even if it does look like postman pat's van.

Just kidding!

I have an early VRS with 42k on the clock i have not had a single mechanical issue. (i had some spidering on gigaro's which the dealer has rectified) Some people like diesels some people like manuals its horses for courses.

• Like 1

I have an early VRS with 42k on the clock i have not had a single mechanical issue. (i had some spidering on gigaro's which the dealer has rectified) Some people like diesels some people like manuals its horses for courses.

Same here no mechanical problems with my 10 plate vRS

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I believe this thread was to suggest/discuss a run out VRS/Monte hybrid model.

Not keep bashing Skoda and slagging off the mk2 VRS as is being done on a lot of other threads.

Even though it's not my sort of car and I prefer the mk1, I'm not sure we need to go through that on every thread relating to the mk2.

:thumbup:

Boss fox seems to be the only person so far that has actually read the thread and understood it!

If the thread bores, then don't waste your own time with a response like 'yawn' - this forum is way better than that.

• Like 2

Appologies for derailment :) but its hard to go past a comment you dont agree with.

I would doubt with the current Fabia going EOL that they will be looking to develop another variant to market but who knows.

And as with all new models they will come in the standard guises before they add the special editions etc and only if the money men deem there to be a market for them.

• Like 1

My take on the Monte Carlo is that it has sporty looks with modest performance that appeals especially to younger drivers in part because of the reduced insurance.  So maybe I am missing something but if you put VRs mechanicals into a Monte Carlo haven't you just made a VRs?

Oil usage issues apart I think that the reason for low VRs sales is down to deeply held prejudice.  Too many still equate drivers of automatics to grandads, comfy slippers, a pipe rack and panama hat on the rear parcel shelf!  Add to that the old perception that auto boxes are heavy, unreliable, fuel hungry, and performance sapping and these die-hards won't even look at any auto.  If only they would try one they would realise the error of their ways.

So putting the VRs mechanicals into a Monte Carlo would not make a winner

• Like 1

Keeping to OP's question, I think this is a decent shout.

As a last hurrah bells and whistles VRS I think sticking a VRS tweaked version of the Monte kit on there, maybe some VRS stitched leather seats, Eibach Springs and the columbus sat nav then packaging it all as a true Limited Edition run would be a nice way to shift some of the Twincharger engines still sat on the shelves. Provided they could do all of that and keep the price right.

I think particularly as an Estate that would be a very attractive little motor.

Should really be seen as giving a late run of

My take on the Monte Carlo is that it has sporty looks with modest performance that appeals especially to younger drivers in part because of the reduced insurance.  So maybe I am missing something but if you put VRs mechanicals into a Monte Carlo haven't you just made a VRs?

Oil usage issues apart I think that the reason for low VRs sales is down to deeply held prejudice.  Too many still equate drivers of automatics to grandads, comfy slippers, a pipe rack and panama hat on the rear parcel shelf!  Add to that the old perception that auto boxes are heavy, unreliable, fuel hungry, and performance sapping and these die-hards won't even look at any auto.  If only they would try one they would realise the error of their ways.

So putting the VRs mechanicals into a Monte Carlo would not make a winner

I would look at it more as a late run of VRS' with Monte esque additional exterior trim rather than a twincharger Monte.

Should really be seen as giving a late run of

I would look at it more as a late run of VRS' with Monte esque additional exterior trim rather than a twincharger Monte.

Hmmm....  Not sure that I really see any difference

• Like 1

'Sporty looks with modest performace that appeals to younger drivers' is probably the reason they have not already offered monte trim on a VRs

But with the end of the mk2 approaching, I am guessing that they will want to capitalise on the success of the looks of the Monte and use it to shift a few twin chargers before the mk3 arrives.

Unless of course they want to preserve the success of the Monte formula for immediate offering on the mk3. If that is the case they may not want to confuse the concept of what the Monte stands for - I.e sporty looks with modest performance.

• Like 1

Hmmm....  Not sure that I really see any difference

That's because it's very subtle : )

As above Monte doesn't need a boost, going well, does not need the twinny engine to shift cars. Monte's simply remain Monte's.

Furby VRS however may benefit from taking a few styling cues from the Monte to shift a few more cars as it moves towards retirement.

DSG is the future.

The new Clio sport only comes with DSG.  Other manufacturers will start to follow suit to its a like it or lump it on that part to be honest.

VAG were the first to offer an 'auto' only hot hatch so thats why the sales have been dissapointing.  It would have been good if they had done a 170CR VRS and Polo GTI.  I suspect they didn't as the 6speed wet clutch maybe too big for the little car and they wouldn't want to be seen as offering a manual version only in a diesel.

As said before, isn't a monte carlo VRS just a VRS?!

• Like 1

DSG is the future.

The new Clio sport only comes with DSG

To be pedantic, the Clio might come with a semi-auto dual clutch gearbox, but it won't be 'DSG' at a guess :)

A Monte Carlo VRs is of course just a VRs, but we are looking at a dressed up VRs with Monte styling and extras plus a Monte Tech style discount to shift a few extra cars as a run-out special

Not trying to suggest that it would be anything other than a tarted up special, unless they went for suspension mods as well which could be very interesting

• Like 1

A Monte Carlo VRs is of course just a VRs, but we are looking at a dressed up VRs with Monte styling and extras plus a Monte Tech style discount to shift a few extra cars as a run-out special

Not trying to suggest that it would be anything other than a tarted up special, unless they went for suspension mods as well which could be very interesting

................really don't see how we can say this any clearer : )