New Garmin PID

Elegance75

So I have seen the new Garmin PID on ebay for £150 plus postage, I have the navigon version, what I was wondering is if I could 'upgrade' to the Garmin version and still use the remainder of my 2 year maps on Fresh

Thanks in advance

Elegance75

Isn't more ram installed

Live traffic updates

Live weather at destination

When tethered to mobile connection

Genuine question: Does the extra RAM let the unit cope with the other features you've described? Otherwise I can't see how those wouldn't just be software features available on a newer revision.

I'm not the cleverest around but my understanding of tethering would mean using the phone as a hot spot.

Assume you pair your phone with the pid, then select allow tethering from your mobile phone menu and then select/allow the pid to connect?

That would allow the pid to receive live data from a known source, this would use some of your data allowance from your mobile.

Someone will correct me if it is wrong.

I'm not the cleverest around but my understanding of tethering would mean using the phone as a hot spot.

Assume you pair your phone with the pid, then select allow tethering from your mobile phone menu and then select/allow the pid to connect?

That would allow the pid to receive live data from a known source, this would use some of your data allowance from your mobile.

Someone will correct me if it is wrong.

Correct not sure on how much data it uses so be careful if you have no or small allowance free

I have the Garmin PID.  When I connect it to the computer it is regognised as being a Navigon device, so I suspect that the only difference is the name printed on the front.

Went to my dealers today to finish the paperwork before pickup on Monday, they had two Navigon's in stock and one Garmin. So they have put my name against the Garmin :-) wanted it just in case its better haha

• 3 weeks later...

PID is great. Linked up to my phone no problems and live weather, traffic and search works great when using my phones hot-spot. Music and phone book synced first time. Wanted a case for it so went down to maplins and got this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/soft-portable-hard-drive-case-261282

£9.99 and fits perfectly.

Strange I got a case with mine yesterday. It was in the glovebox. Small black zip up pouch with Citigo written on. It comes in the box with the USB cable. Everybody should get one but obviously the dealer isn't giving you it.

Ask for the box the PID came with :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Strange I got a case with mine yesterday. It was in the glovebox. Small black zip up pouch with Citigo written on. It comes in the box with the USB cable. Everybody should get one but obviously the dealer isn't giving you it. Ask for the box the PID came with :)Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

On the Navigon labeled unit, it never came with a case as standard in March 2013.

My PID was handed to me in the sealed box.

No case in there,must be something they are doing now.

The first thing I said to the dealer when I took it out the box, was were is the case to store it when I remove it?

He said buy one off eBay.

PID is great. Linked up to my phone no problems and live weather, traffic and search works great when using my phones hot-spot. Music and phone book synced first time. Wanted a case for it so went down to maplins and got this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/soft-portable-hard-drive-case-261282

£9.99 and fits perfectly.

the citigo PID cast is £8.60 from the dealers with a nice citigo logo (but on back order at the moment )

There is an official Skoda case.  It costs less than these alternatives.  My dealer give me one for free whne I mentioned it.

When I mentioned a case, the dealer referred me to the parts dept....who didn't have any. (Mind you, he had given me £830 off the car!)

That's why I got the Amazon one.....I'm very surprised that the "official" Skoda one costs less than £6.55!

• 3 weeks later...