Looking at superb estate - when do big bills arrive?

Hi

I've pretty much decided on a superb estate 2.0TDi as my next car.    I'd be looking at early high miles one because I'm cheap :)

Can someone tell me what expensive bills raise their heads?

Timing belt interval 60K miles?   Does the water pump get changed at the same time?

What about the DPFs?   do people have issues?

I'd go manual because I wouldn't trust the DSG box.

Anything else I need to factor into my buying thoughts?

thanks

As regards cam belt, I'm sure its not due till over 100k, and I'd buy a kit that includes water pump anyway. There is some cheap deals regards servicing at Skoda dealers anyway. Mine will be getting its oil and filters changed with genuine parts every 10k, Dsg oil and filter every 40k (this has just been done)

I'm sure people on this site will tell you there is no big issues regards running costs. Buy it and enjoy it 

• Like 1

Excellent!

That what I wanted to hear.

I'm in North Yorkshire, is there a particular dealer recommended?   I think my nearest is Benfield in Harrogate.

As an aside, do people use the VAG-COM diagnostics tool?    I used to use it with an audi I owned and it was very helpful. 

I'm planning to keep this car for a long time and will indeed be doing oil/filters at least every 10K.

Yep just had mine serviced at 79k and as it was not yet 4 yrs old skoda said cam belt would wait till 100k. Service and running costs have been very low I've been very happy.

Sent from my iPhone

Superb 170 cr estate

Campbelt at 80k or 4 years. Good practice to do water pump at the same time.

Done 100k in my DSG 170 with no issues except throttle response valve at 90k. It still drives like new. It drives so nice and tight that I wouldn't want to change it.

Servicing is very reasonable even at the main dealer.

Mine is on time and distance servicing. It gets serviced every 10k or 12 months. I think the variable servicing is a bit of a stretch. I don't like going upto 2 years or 20k without a service.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The funny thing about timing belts is that they are most likely to fail immediately after being replaced. This is generally due to incorrect fitting or too much tension being applied. Almost all new cars use kevlar reinforced belts which are probably the most relaible component fitted within the car.

I always stick to manufacturer servicing intervals, but never replace the timing belt. ~99.99% of them will outlive the car so I prefer to take the tiny risk, rather than a biiger risk of replacing them. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

The funny thing about timing belts is that they are most likely to fail immediately after being replaced. This is generally due to incorrect fitting or too much tension being applied. Almost all new cars use kevlar reinforced belts which are probably the most relaible component fitted within the car.

I always stick to manufacturer servicing intervals, but never replace the timing belt. ~99.99% of them will outlive the car so I prefer to take the tiny risk, rather than a biiger risk of replacing them. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Crazy ...

• Like 1

Wow, I always thought there's such a "device" as tensioner and times when you tension your timing belt yourself are long gone :giggle:

As a high mileage driver, have you considered a 1.6Tdi? My Greenline has covered 67,000 miles in almost 2 years and has been 100% reliable. Tyre wear is very low. My car's original rear tyres are now on the front axle, but still have 3-3.5mm of tread depth remaining. 

In order to make up some of the power deficit between the 1.6 and 2.0 (140CR) engine, remapping should give at least 130Ps.   

The best part of the GL is it's range, anywhere between 800-900 miles. When I refuelled today, the car had covered 848 miles (68.90 miles).

Our Mondeo, around 2001 (1.8 TD) had belt replaced, tensioner failed: new cylinder head required - few months later, new head failed - trashed engine - replaced under warranty from the head being replaced. 

Hate Timing belts.... Should be outlawed! 

Al. 

• 1 month later...

Well, my car, 2011 CR170 4x4 Combi, shed its timing belt last night. I have 120,000km on the car with the belt having been replaced not so long ago when SKODA changed the water pump under warranty.

Now, time to grab some popcorn, and look at the battle between Leasing Co and Skoda.

I'm in North Yorkshire, is there a particular dealer recommended?   I think my nearest is Benfield in Harrogate.

Yes, Benfield in Harrogate or Batchelors in Ripon or DM Keith in York are all recommended by The Telegraph's Honest John site...

http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/Directory/Search?name=&region=&postcode=North+Yorkshire&make=Skoda&service=

Well, my car, 2011 CR170 4x4 Combi, shed its timing belt last night. I have 120,000km on the car with the belt having been replaced not so long ago when SKODA changed the water pump under warranty.

Now, time to grab some popcorn, and look at the battle between Leasing Co and Skoda.

Ouch...any idea on the cause yet? Is it a writeoff? Keep us updated will you! :)

Ouch...any idea on the cause yet? Is it a writeoff? Keep us updated will you! :)

I'm guessing the alternator belt gave way and got dragged into the timing belt/tensioner and then all hell broke loose.

No feedback from the strip-down of the engine, yet.

I bought my superb from Benfield almost a year ago and have been very pleased. Don't be put off if they don't have what you are looking for as they didn't for me but got one in from another dealer at a good price. I had actually seen it on the other dealers site but ruled it out as too expensive! Managed to get a model, year, mileage and colour match within 10 days of my initial query.

Just have to say I don't work for them and have no link with them other than my car purchase.