vRS seat fabric

Anybody had any issues with the drivers seat base fabric showing signs of ware. I only state drivers seat because it gets the most use.
I'm on my 2nd base and after only 6 months the signs are there again.

No I don't have any sharp or pointy bits on my clothes!

My dealer tells me that Skoda are aware of this and a claim is in for replacement ,,,, but ,,,,, the warranty is for a year and will run with the time left on the original replacement. This means that in another 6 months the new will be showing signs of ware and the warranty will be expired!

Any useful comments?

Wear :)

It has been a known problem, as you say Skoda are aware. Have you a photo of the damage on yours?

Seems wholly random and some seats I've seen with 100k+ on them are absolutely fine.

Not quite sure I agree on the limited warranty they seem to be implying, on the replacement you've had though. I'm not best placed to deal with that though, in legal terms.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Jeans with studs on the pockets, wallet in that pocket ? Button down pocket with wallet ?

As it looks like the wear is on the right hand side and most men have the wallet in the rear pocket on that side (the right handed of us) could that be a possible explanation ?

• Like 1

That wear looks so localised that I would think something in the driver's clothing or behaviour is the cause.  Still, if you can get Skoda to contribute to a new seat base, why not.

• Like 1

Jesus and I thought that the full leather base on my drivers seat on my 8k 62 plate Blackline having gone a bit shiny and weathered wasnt particularly great; kind of glad i have the leather now as i didnt really want or like it to begin with.

How old is the car by the way?

After the 1st cover went "hits-up", I made a mental note to see what my actions were.

A slight swivel on the base was made so as to miss sitting on the bolster and get comfortable, so I adjusted this to sit in, then one hand on arm rest the other on steering wheel, adjust position. Jesus I'm only 10 stone, not a sumo wrestler. 

The first one was replaced under the 3yr warranty, the second was replaced (after 6 months and slight signs of ware) under the 1yr warranty for replacement parts, the current one looks okay at this time but the warranty is only for the remaining portion of the second set (the Skoda agent told me). He also added the Skoda fact that this is done to guard against and on-going replacement scheme!

This then means 180 squids + fitting to keep the car spick and span each year or so!

What do you recon peeps?

Certainly seems unusual. I weigh a lot more than you and only have side bolster wear on the fake leather bit. The base fabric is like new. Mine is an 11 plate.

Incidentally, never keep anything in rear pockets of jeans when seated - really bad ergonomically. Bad for the spine!

Chaps, please see 2nd para in my first post.

Car is a 10 plate and it's the 2nd base I've had. On my 3rd base now!

The cost for the seat base is £179.20.

Hmmmm....I was quoted £227 for a replacement base yesturday  :swear: as I burn mine with a fag!

I don't know to be honest, I thought it was just the cover on its own, will have to check!

Thanks for the link! I'm sure it will be very helpful (did the seats on my fabia not looking forward to doing it again)!