Picked my Xtreme alloys up :) :)

TBH, any polished alloy Ive ever seen has delaminated, I think its just a trait of polished rims tbh

I think its basic physics. 

Polished rims are shiny because they have been sanded VERY smooth, removing any imperfections....the problem is there is then nothing for the lacquer to attach to.

This means is very easy for the lacquer to get damaged - it doesn't need to be curbed, just a stone hitting it could be enough for a tiny bit of damage and once that damage is there and water can get in its game over.

It is possible for them to survive, I would say you've had some good luck if they have as generally they will corrode at some point. You only need to look on the internet to see story after story about it.

Had the same on the wifes Mini which had a polished lip. They corroded but due to some curbings (else where) they would not be covered but a friends who maintained his car immaculately all 4 of his went within a couple years. BMW replaced them all without any fuss once they saw there was no curbings. 

I'm on my second full set on our 2008 Octavia Scout. The first set went at 20,000 miles, the second set just before the warranty ran out at 3 years (30,000).

Now another two have started with the infamous 'white worm'.

Similar complaints over in the Fabia and Superb forum.

A real shame as I love the polished finish.

This is how it starts...

IMG00100-20110425-1349.jpg

...and if left untreated...

IMG_0270.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Wheels look ace.

Liked them when I saw them on the Goodwood reveal pictures.

I forget, did you say your car was a white estate like that one? Should look great.

Yes a white estate same as the one at goodwood in the motorshow tent if you attended.

• 3 months later...

Had a full set of dark chrome gigaros replaced on my old MK2 vRS after about 5k miles, they'd all started to "threadworm". Just before it was sold several months later with 11k on the clock the 2nd set were doing the same.

Think they look lovely but from a reliability and repair perspective polished wheels really are a big no-no

• 4 months later...

I love theese weels. But the weight 13,3 :sweat: . It Means so much to the handling and acc . Thanks for the info about the weight , it often hard too find the info. If only people could feel the diff , so they new what we are talking about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hope nobody minds me bring this older topic back up again but I was at a dealership today and saw a vRS with these wheels and it looked amazing...I'd love to get a set on my next car but my car is a mile muncher, carries my kids etc and while most of my driving is done on motorways I would also do a lot of driving on smaller back roads which would not be great surface wise...So I'm getting from this topic that for that kind of driving profile these would really not be a good idea and I'm better off staying with the 18's?

Hope nobody minds me bring this older topic back up again but I was at a dealership today and saw a vRS with these wheels and it looked amazing...I'd love to get a set on my next car but my car is a mile muncher, carries my kids etc and while most of my driving is done on motorways I would also do a lot of driving on smaller back roads which would not be great surface wise...So I'm getting from this topic that for that kind of driving profile these would really not be a good idea and I'm better off staying with the 18's?

I drive on rough country road majority of the time and I don't mind them my car has also been lowered. The road noise is higher but not much at all. Touch wood they haven't cracked or anything after 11k miles.

Damn!..I was hoping you'd come back with stories of massive phsyiotherapy bills cos now I'm really tempted :o) Also I just specc'ed up a vRS with 19's with my leasing company and basically it works out 1 euro a month more ....Damn, Damn Damn!

In fairness I remember when I was ordering my Mk II vRS it had 17's as standard and 18's as options and there seemed to be the same questions and comments about the 18's then that are about the 19's now so...Hmm

Off to ponder

Damn!..I was hoping you'd come back with stories of massive phsyiotherapy bills cos now I'm really tempted :o) Also I just specc'ed up a vRS with 19's with my leasing company and basically it works out 1 euro a month more ....Damn, Damn Damn!

In fairness I remember when I was ordering my Mk II vRS it had 17's as standard and 18's as options and there seemed to be the same questions and comments about the 18's then that are about the 19's now so...Hmm

Off to ponder

Its forums for you, you will always get those who are stuck in their ways and refuse to accept someone opting to be different to everyone else. Of course its down to taste but for me personally I think these wheels make the car and of course its 19" so going to be slightly different but nothing like what everyone makes out.

Go on treat yourself and be different :D

I run the 19s suits the car a lot better than the 18s imo,

Excellent...Keep the positives coming!...Found pics of what I'm thinking of somewhere on this site...Black Hatchback TDi DSG with 19's and Black and Red Leather Interior :clap:

I don't agree that all Skoda diamond cut alloys are rubbish and prone to lacquer failure. My Scout has done 36k, and other than a couple of stone chips, the Proteus alloys are perfect. Perhaps being in the south east, they see less road salt?

Edited by London Les

• 2 months later...

Excellent...Keep the positives coming!...Found pics of what I'm thinking of somewhere on this site...Black Hatchback TDi DSG with 19's and Black and Red Leather Interior :clap:

hi all love this topic, just ordered my vrs with the extreme alloys as they look amazing on the car. Lucky for me it's a company car and don't have to worry about tyres. As for ride quality I do lots of motorway driving and country roads in my current A4 and have the same size alloys with no issues, even when towing a caravan.

• 3 years later...