My new toy 'Fun'

Dajwid

That's tres rare, they don't often go pop on the 1.6 engines.. Are you sure it's gone?

Poor running under-powered despite new leads plugs rotor cap and filters. White smoke and gunk on the filler cap after a run also bubbles in the expansion tank when running :-(

All points to Head gasket :-(

Edited by Dajwid

• 1 month later...

Lost my job :-(

Found another :-)

Needed a car for work :-( Fun now has tax insurance but no MOT :-(

Fun has to go :-(     Put it in Retro rides, swapz  and Gumtree Plenty of idiots wasting my time and really Pi**ing me off.

Needs welding on rear jacking point. Maybe a cylinder head, maybe a CV joint or engine/gearbox mount by the odd clunk.

Wheels need a refurb or changing. Aghhhhh May also need a chip on windscreen fixing for an MOT.

I have now got fed up with the time wasters!

New year resolution get of my lazy arse and get the Fun sorted.

So here are a couple of pictures where she looks nice.

IMG_1562_zps8fe1f5d3.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsbb53a5bf.jpg

Put her in for an MOT today so I know where I stand:-

:-( Failed !

To be honest they would have been a pretty rubbish test centre if it had passed, and they the my local 'friendly' centre.

Failed on headlight bulbs the wrong colour (yellow bulbs)
(£4.24 a pair delivered)

Indicator bulbs incorrect colour (x 3)
(£2.95 for pack of 10 delivered)

Offside front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint.
(£9.00 + Vat from local motor factors)

The one I was waiting for :-)

Offside and nearside (rear part of inner sill) suspension component mounting excessively corroded.

My funs as bad as yours mines under going welding work on its lack off metal on sills at rear and rusty wings and to top it off engine knocks and bangs and gearbox wines like my wife does just waiting on better weather so glad I stripping my conversation for the parts there worth fixing and keeping mines a really fun prob one off the 1st ones come on summer I wamt to get the spanners out.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update. Thanks to Hairymel from Retro rides for his help with the welding.

Coming on slowly but surely.

As always it looked better with the sill covers on :-)

DSCF2470_zps8b765e15.jpg

DSCF2471_zps6aae9bae.jpg

After a little rust removal.

DSCF2475_zpse2538775.jpg

DSCF2474_zpse1699bbb.jpg

DSCF2484_zpsfc02489f.jpg

He has been working hard and O/S is done N/S started. The biggest problem is that the whole N/S rear wing panel is flapping around ;-(

But it will be done. I have also brought some spacers for the Alloys :-)

Heres some picks off my rust in same place found a paint scrapper handy for cutting the arch covers off and a small chisel but scratched the crap out off the fun but got it off hole.. sill cover I just cut off as my fun came with two new ones.... and useing my slxi conversion hatch for the sills and inners and all over parts and mite stick the gti rear disks on and 256mm fronts wish gaffa tape could fix it.... got to love being a fun owner...

post-61747-0-52127800-1393031227_thumb.jpg

post-61747-0-97276100-1393031422_thumb.jpg

post-61747-0-32438500-1393031477_thumb.jpg

Sills are welded :-)  Thank you so much Mel.

Today she is back in her favorite position 'up in the air'.

photo4_zps71fc3bc0.jpg

Now to tackle the ' excessive play in lower suspension ball-joint'. 

Old ball joint is riveted in place, always handy when they need changing, new ones are supplied to bolt on, so off with the whole arm Aghhhh. Did I swear? YES.  Did it come off easy, NO.

Remember in a Haynes manual the little spanners showing how difficult a job is ? Well I am not a mechanic, so all those little spanners mean nothing at all. Every job is a big job.

photo1_zpsddd8b797.jpg

photo2_zpsb0c8a931.jpg

photo3_zps2177a1dc.jpg

Removed, got wet, cold and to be honest a bit fed up, so will carry on after work this week.

Edited by Dajwid
  • Like 1

photo2_zpsc736b266.jpg

photo5_zps1b779a5c.jpg

photo4_zps36c681bf.jpg

photo2_zpseaf16e25.jpg

Easy ! ;-(

Aghhhhhh, Why oh why were they riveted? What a pain to get the are off and on again in a gravel car park with fading light.

Done.

Now just to put the sill cover back and change all the bulbs the MOT tester didn't like.