My new toy 'Fun'

Dajwid

• 4 weeks later...

OK!

Who for the love of god came up with the idea to position the fuel filter in such a ridiculous place? 

How the hell do you get to it without dropping the tank?   :wall:

• Like 1

Just done my fuel filter it's a right pig, especially if fuel lines still have original spring clips. If the clips are screw type it's not as bad. Probably helps if you have smaller hands aswell. Haynes manual does a good job of describing how to do this job.
Before you start though, if the lines have the sping type clips, you MUST have a set of bent nose pliers (90 degrees preferable) I got a some from halfrauds that were less than good quality (about £8.29), but that gave me a reason to return them, after I had used them anyway. Without them, it's next to impossiable to remove the inner clip, haynes doesn't mention this, resulting in having me waste about 3 hours.
Give plenty of time for this job, there's probably going to be a lot of angry moments ahead
1. Depressurise the fuel system(remove fuel pump relay, then turn over engine)
2. Remove the exhaust heat shield bolts, 3 of them, these can be difficult to get at aswell. I used a long handled screwdriver that fit in the square end of socket, so i could get around the exhaust.
3. Remove screw that holds the clamp together, then remove the clips from the hoses, remove the filter from the car, I found it helped to remove the short stubby fuel hose with the filter, then attatch it to the new one first. (expect fuel to come out of the lines even though they have been depressurised)
4. Reverse procedure for refitting. Making sure that the filter is the correct way around, and use screw type clips if spring type were fitted. Insert pump relay, start engine and check for leaks before puting heat sheild back on.

Now you can feel really good about yourself for compleating this job, and at the same time damm the name of the person who decided to put the filter in such a inacessable place.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

OH MY GODDD! This is my old Skoda Fun, in which I covered over 100,000 miles (almost) faultlessly! I can't believe it's looking so good! I bought the number as I thought it suited the car so well and I just totally loved it. I've just read through the thread & the following might help you:

1/ The yellow headlights were (are!) legal-believe me, I'm a qualified M.O.T. tester!

2/ There was some play in the balljoints when I sold it, but that was in 2010, so it's probably become worse in 4 years!

3/ I sold it with excessively loud twin tone horns. And I mean REALLY loud! Are they still in play?

4/ I replaced the fan switch I regularly flushed the cooling system. The car never overheated but I did have to replace the water pump once.

5/ I fitted the tow hitch & used it as a recovery truck and it would pull a house down! The record tow was a Volvo 760 over about 50 miles on an "A" frame! 

Please get in touch if you need to know more about it! I only sold it because I needed a real 4/5 seat car & I bought a Citroën Xantia 2 litre automatic in replacement! 

Edited by Andyroo!
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 01/11/2014 at 21:18, Andyroo! said:

OH MY GODDD! This is my old Skoda Fun, in which I covered over 100,000 miles (almost) faultlessly! I can't believe it's looking so good! I bought the number as I thought it suited the car so well and I just totally loved it. I've just read through the thread & the following might help you:

1/ The yellow headlights were (are!) legal-believe me, I'm a qualified M.O.T. tester!

2/ There was some play in the balljoints when I sold it, but that was in 2010, so it's probably become worse in 4 years!

3/ I sold it with excessively loud twin tone horns. And I mean REALLY loud! Are they still in play?

4/ I replaced the fan switch I regularly flushed the cooling system. The car never overheated but I did have to replace the water pump once.

5/ I fitted the tow hitch & used it as a recovery truck and it would pull a house down! The record tow was a Volvo 760 over about 50 miles on an "A" frame! 

Please get in touch if you need to know more about it! I only sold it because I needed a real 4/5 seat car & I bought a Citroën Xantia 2 litre automatic in replacement! 

Hi I have owned your old fun since June 2015, still going strong! I do about 2,000 miles a year in it and I love it. Had a replacement engine fitted late 2016 and my poor running problems went away. The mot this year only needed rear wheel bearings and rear shock absorbers with top mounting kit £170 bill so pleasantly pleased 

Glad to know it's still running! Our daughter, who had just passed her driving test when I bought the Fun, loved it and thought it SO cool & couldn't believe it was a SKODA! Suffice it to say she "borrowed" it quite a lot! It was an excellent workhorse cum cool car for 7 years and I was sad to wave goodbye to it, but the Citroën that replaced it was every but as good, albeit in different ways. If you want to know more about the car just contact me through here.

Yes it did but they were removed when I bough the Truckman top. It also had the long bars along the Truckman top, to which I used to mount a lateral bar & fitted a set of amber breakdown lights when I used it for recovery work. Attached is a picture of the Fun awaiting a ferry to the Isle Of wight a few years ago.

Image0071.jpg

Edited by Andyroo!
  • Like 1