Will Fabia Estate do the job for me?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering upgrading from a Honda Jazz to a Skoda of some sort. I have 2 kids (4 and nearly 1), so need something big enough for a buggy or a kids' bike. I'd even like to stow my bike in the boot occasionally.

My question is, will a used Fabia estate do the job for my family of four and occasional paraphernalia?

If so, what engine (I like the sound of the 1.2 TSI 105 - I don't do big annual mileages). Or am I better off looking at the Octavia MkII estate? I'm looking at circa 2010 reg - when the Fabia got the 1.2 TSI engine, basically - and used Octavias don't seem that much dearer, but I do like the idea of a smaller car. Or should I look at diesels, even as a lower-mileage driver?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve 

That said Martyn, I bet your Fabia vRS estate would knock some time off the school run compared to a 1.2tsi :rofl:

Just a bit but in traffic and at limits it would be the same and the 1.2tsi would be better on fuel. One thing the vRS is good at is covering ground quickly but I do like the 1.2 tsi. Was still nippy enough.

Yup, fab little engine. I just think with two kids you will never regret having the additional space the Octy provides, we manage fine with our little Sprout in my vRS Hatch as it makes good use of it's dimensions to give interior space and from what I have seen the Furby hatch does even better, still think the Octy is a better shout, plus it should be more refined for any longer slogs.

For a Supermini the Fabia estate has remarkable carrying capacity and I've never found it wanting for load space as a family car - but then we only have one child. With the rear seats folded, I've carried a single mattress and a chest high fridge freezer in mine. You could certainly fit everything in for a fortnight's holiday for a family of four. The major shortcoming of the Fabia vs the Octavia as a family car is not so much the (moderately) smaller load space, but the narrower width of the Fab - should you ever need to fit a third passenger in the back it would be a very tight squeeze between the child seats. Given that you have two little 'uns, I'm with Sparkly - get an Octavia, it will offer more flexibility for your needs.

I am a big fan of the Fabia. I had the Mk1 Estate and they are superbly roomy for the Super Mini class. The 1.2 Tsi (105) is a great little engine with performance more than adequate for family needs.

When you say you want space to carry buggies, a kids bike or your bike then no problem except if you want to carry all or most of these items together, in which case I would look at the Octy.

It's worth trying both before you buy. 

one option you have missed is the roomster

very versatile, but the looks are like marmite (you either love it or hate it)

but I would say look at it, see how versatile the rear seating / load space is before you write it off

• Like 1

I agree with bluecar1, have a good try of the Roomster . Does most of what a Yeti does with clever flexible rear seats and huge boot.

Depreciation on new ones is a problem UNLESS you buy used - then it's in your favour.

They're reliable and economical, I think cheap to insure.

I was looking for a Roomster but found my Fabia at a good price instead.

Also consider the Octy is quite a bit bigger than Fabia or Roomster.

Stay in the Skoda family whatever you buy. We've got 5 Fabias and a Yeti- just love 'em!

Had a Fabia vRS estate, was very versatile but has two things going against it.......its very narrow so whilst the boot for a supermini in terms of raw volume is huge, it can prove impractical when width is required for wider loads. Also rear legroom whilst not terrible isnt the best.

The Octavia is quite a bit wider being Golf based, also the rear legroom is much better.

I have an Octavia vRS estate now and much more versatile.

I've got a Fabia VRS estate.

Its boot is decent. By far the biggest in its class, and bigger than many in the class above.

However.

We're about to have our first child, and I think we'll end up getting something bigger as if we ever want to go away somewhere, Baby + Dog + baby & dog things, etc etc soon add up and it is already a squeeze.

If its just you, your partner, and 2 children, it should be fine. If you want to take more than that, you'll be squashing it in.

+1 vote for the Roomster. Had a mk1 fabia estate with our first child, with the second on the way changed to Roomster. Did look at Octavia but liked the fact that Roomster is still a smallish car but huge inside, more legroom than Octavia (I'm 6ft2 and my 3 year old cant kick the back of my seat) and more versatile / flexible seating. plus the low windows in the back and Panoramic sunroof make it great for kids. I know the looks are love or hate but they do grow on you!