Wipers quiz

mender

I've got one answer for each of these, maybe there are more than one, did we get the same answers?

(I've excluded kit cars, specials, anything van based, anything not sold in UK or not seen on UK roads)

1/ Which sports car sold today has three front windscreen wipers as standard?

2/ Which (EDIT!!! 1990s) car has a tiny pair of standard fit 8" wiper blades?

3/ Which standard production car had two rear wipers fitted as standard?

4/ Which standard production car sold in the 90s had a manual non-electric windscreen washer?

5/ Which Skoda has an unusual control for the intermittent wiper whereby you can set the timed interval manually?

(It is not obvious/intuitive and can only be found in the handbook, so most owners are unaware of the feature)

6/ Which 90s French production car was initially sold without wipers, which were then offered as an option?

7/ Which optional extra (standard on some cars) necessitates the fitting of headlight washers?

8/ The Volvo V70 has the same length headlight wiper blade as the rear window wiper blade on which car sold new in the last 5 years?

9/ Can a car fail an MOT on a rear wiper fault?

10/ By not adding screenwash additive to the water in the washer reservoir, which fatal disease can be contracted by contact with old washer fluid?

Bit of fun on a weekend!!

Edited by mender

1/ Morgan

2/ Austin 7

3/ Mini estate

4/ Vw Beetle

6 Citreon

8/ CitiGo

9/No

1 correct!

2 not what I had, should have said 90s!

3 yes-but not the one I had, any more??

4 not sold officially in UK in 90s, I had another

6 no

8 nearly, but they're officially quarter of an inch longer on the Citigo, I had dead on same size

9 correct!

Sorry, but you are wrong with your answer to No 7.

See the third paragraph down in the left hand column.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

There have been many discussions about this here in the past.

And the tie-in between Legionaires Disease and old screen washer fluid was questioned as being dubious by the Health Inspectors following the South Wales outbreak in 2010.

http://www.archerandstone.co.uk/windscreen-washer-water.html

and

http://straightstatistics.org/blog/2010/06/14/screenwash-and-legionnaires-disease

Sorry, but you are wrong with your answer to No 7.

See the third paragraph down in the left hand column.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

There have been many discussions about this here in the past.

And the tie-in between Legionaires Disease and old screen washer fluid was questioned as being dubious by the Health Inspectors following the South Wales outbreak in 2010.

http://www.archerandstone.co.uk/windscreen-washer-water.html

and

http://straightstatistics.org/blog/2010/06/14/screenwash-and-legionnaires-disease

Re HIDs under new type approval legislation 2010- HID equipped cars must now have levelling and washer system fitted to be approved for road use in UK, the MOT is less clear and so is the retro fit legislation

Re Legionaires, interesting- but still suggest a chance of infection and that screenwash kills it

Anyone got the other twin rear wiper yet?

I don't claim to be the oracle-it's a bit of fun!

Edited by mender

1/ Morgan Roadster

2/ any guesses?

3/ Mini Estate/Clubman does indeed have two, I had another car much more obscure, any guesses?

4/ Beetle guesses, but not UK supplied in 90s, any guesses?

5/ Favorit/Felicia

6/ any guesses?

7/ HIDs (but as said, legislation is woolly, however since 2010 new cars must have washers and levellers to get type approval for use in UK)

8/ any guesses?

9/ No it can't, officially as not required to test.  However many reports of "if it is fitted it must work" attitude by testers...

10/ Legionaires, but scientific basis questioned

2/ Smart Roadster.

6/ 2CV

8/ Polo

2/ no-they are 18/20"

6/ CORRECT!

8/ no-they are 330mm not 230mm

Thought the 2CV one was quite tough-well done!!

I've got one answer for each of these, maybe there are more than one, did we get the same answers?

(I've excluded kit cars, specials, anything van based, anything not sold in UK or not seen on UK roads)

1/ Morgan

2/Pass

3/ Mk3 Toyota Camry Estate

4/ Reliant Robin (hand pump, right hand side).

5/ Pass, but if you mean the felicia where you turn it on, then turn it off, then back on, it's not very unusual on VW's and Vauxhalls.

6/ 2cv?

7/ Xenon/HID headlights

8/ 1007?

9/ Yes, but only if it's likely to cause a danger, eg loose blade likely to fall off when used.

10/ Krones?

Edited by StevesTruck

1/ Morgan

2/Pass

3/ Mk3 Toyota Camry Estate

4/ Reliant Robin (hand pump, right hand side).

5/ Pass, but if you mean the felicia where you turn it on, then turn it off, then back on, it's not very unusual on VW's and Vauxhalls.

6/ 2cv?

7/ Xenon/HID headlights

8/ 1007?

9/ Yes, but only if it's likely to cause a danger, eg loose blade likely to fall off when used.

10/ Krones?

Some great answers and you got the hardest one, no 3-the Toyota Camry estate

1/ Correct-guessed already

2/ Pass

3/ Correct

4/ Its a three wheeler (being pedantic!), correct answer guessed already was Citroen 2CV

5/ Correct-question was what Skoda, answer was Favorit and Felicia now I'm told! 

6/ No

7/ Correct-guessed already

8/ No-it's 12" not 10"

9/ No but yes but no-technically I would agree with you!

10/ No-guessed correctly already as Legionaires, but research not confirmed!

Great work-I thought no-one would ever get the Camry!!

Switch to intermittent, then switch off for the time that you want the interval to be and then switch to intermittent and it should wipe at the interval which you set.

I think it is the best system in use, I miss it

Three answers to go.....some CLUES

2/   CLUE: they're not on the windscreen

6/   CLUE: you may be afraid of it

8/   CLUE: just above the arse

5/ Which Skoda has an unusual control for the intermittent wiper whereby you can set the timed interval manually?

(It is not obvious/intuitive and can only be found in the handbook, so most owners are unaware of the feature)

That feature was also on my MkI MY 1998 SEAT Toledo SE.

• Like 1

QUIZ answers (well the answers I started out with!)

Thanks for additions, eg Mini Estate/Clubman for question 2 etc

1/ Which sports car sold today has three front windscreen wipers as standard?

Morgan Roadster

2/ Which (EDIT!!! 1990s) car has a tiny pair of standard fit 8" wiper blades?

Volvo 850....headlights...!

3/ Which standard production car had two rear wipers fitted as standard?

Toyota Camry Estate Mk3

4/ Which standard production car sold in the 90s had a manual non-electric windscreen washer?

Citroen 2CV

Favorit, Felicia

6/ Which 90s French production car was initially sold without wipers, which were then offered as an option?

Renault Sport Spider; available with or without windscreen and wipers

7/ Which optional extra (standard on some cars) necessitates the fitting of headlight washers?

HIDs (as said legislation is woolly, but since 2010 new cars with HIDs must be equipped with washers and levellers to gain type approval for use in the UK)

8/ The Volvo V70 has the same length headlight wiper blade as the rear window wiper blade on which car sold new in the last 5 years?

Renault Megane 2002-8

9/ Can a car fail an MOT on a rear wiper fault?

No, it is not tested, but could fall under under parts of MOT if classed as dangerous, eg wiper arm sticks out

10/ By not adding screen wash additive to the water in the washer reservoir, which fatal disease can be contracted by contact with old washer fluid?

Media reports of Legionaires disease, with later questioning of testing methods, however an infected tank can be killed off by adding screenwash

A bit of fun, thanks for taking part  :sun:

Edited by mender

Citroen 2CV

I accentually new that answer as my dad's first car was a 2CV. However I thought it was too old and not sold in 90's. According to him the wipers were geared to the spedo cable (he says Spedo was an optional extra), so the faster you drive the faster the wipers wiped. If you was stationary and needed them you pulled a leaver and manually move them by twisting it left and right.