Citigo Gearbox Problem

swindonmale64

I do find on these that rolling whilst trying to engage first is stiffer rather than a smooth standstill engagement. 

Definitely.

Car has to be at virtual standstill before it clicks in, which is no bad thing really

Shift to neutral, clutch pedal up, push throttle, push clutch pedal and you can shift first gear easily. That is needed because clutch plate needs to spin faster before gear can be engaged.

Cone tries to accelerate clutch plate when you try to engage first gear while car is moving. Usually it can't and that's the reason why it's hard to engage first gear when car still moves. It's normal behaviour for manual transmission.

:nerd:

Edited by Emil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take it people with this problem have their foot brake depressed when engaging first or reverse? Seems obvoious but nobody has said.....it took me some time once - it would be a safety feature....Rollyball0

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same issue. not being able to get into reverse without repeatedly pumping the clutch. I also get it when driving sometimes where I push into second and it slips out and starts grinding the gears. had this issue since I first got it.

I have been having the same issue. not being able to get into reverse without repeatedly pumping the clutch. I also get it when driving sometimes where I push into second and it slips out and starts grinding the gears. had this issue since I first got it.

Have you had the car back to Skoda? Something isn't right there.

When you change from 1st to 2nd gear, or any gear to 2nd gear?

If first case, then there might be some problem, or clutch was not pushed to the floor completely.

If any gear (or neutral) to 2nd, you propably had too much speed for 2nd gear to engage.

I'm only guessing here so don't be angry. I have some same experience, but they all were my own fault. It is manual transmission. ;)

Edited by Emil
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a report in today's Auto Express about the Golf GTI they are running on their test fleet which has developed a gear box rattle at idle,they had the car in the garage for a day for it to be looked at and VWs response?,all the cars are like that!.So its not just Skoda owners being fobbed off then.

Our Citigo has already had its gearbox replaced by Sinclair Skoda (Swansea). They were made to jump through hoops (oil, adjustments, etc.) before being given the o.k. by Skoda UK to carry out the replacement. When we complained to Skoda over the length of time it took before they gave the go ahead, they came back and blamed Sinclair! We knew this to be untrue, because the garage had always kept us up to date with progress. Very naughty.

However, the replacement box has the same issue of difficulty in engaging first from cold. So, it's back to Sinclair again for another box - this time a straight replacement. Let us hope that box number three will be o.k.

That sounds and looks like a very poor translation and should be taken with a pinch of salt,

my experience in the UK is that the  agents replaced the clutch  and the gearbox without question on a friends VW up.Here in Germany this problem has not manifested as yet on any of the forums in great quantity and is not a well discussed topic.   

Skoda have recently changed the gear box on the Citigo- not sure about the effect to first gear but to get reverse you have to push down then go bottom right to put it into reverse.

The dealer couldn't tell me whether it was because of a fault or just an improvement.

I have a fairly new 4 months old or so and to select reverse gear you do not have to press the gear lever I had a look in the Seat showroom today and brand new unregistered Miis do not have this push down maybe its a UK thing. I must also say my gearbox is so smooth and slick as was the VW Up before..

• 1 year later...

Hi citigoes

Re greentech elegance 75,

Have noticed drive take up play I am told this is normal characteristic with this car.

I would appreciate other owners experience & views on this

Colbret north devon

Hi with reference to earlier post this drive take up snatch occurs even with very careful & sensitive driving.

Colbret,greentech elegance 75 manual

I've just started getting this and have put it down to slightly cooler weather recently.

Considering adjusting the linkage cables but can't find any guides online for our new gearbox.

Have also noticed the tractor like sound while in neutral that I've not noticed before, I'm sure it's all a characteristic of the gearbox...

My Citigo is now 12 months old, and has done around 6000 miles. During that time it has had a new gearbox and a new selecting mechanism for the gearbox on a separate occasion. On the second gearbox repair I was made to drive the car before I could have it back and Skoda are saying that I change into first too early. It is therefore my fault and the car is no longer covered under warrenty for gearbox problems!

I have been driving for 25 years, have anothe two cars in the family which I drive and had a Fabia for two years before this without any problems.

Any comments from anyone?

Typical Skoda :(

They can't say that and you have legal rights anyway. Since when is it ok for a car manufacturer to tell you how you should drive. They should make cars that we can drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the prompt reply.

But, with repect Stormchaser, they have said it!

I have contacted the finance (I am paying on a PCP) and told them they are hiring me a car that has not got a full warrenty and therefore it needs changing but they have refused.

They tell me to go to the financial ombudsman but at the end of the day they are only going on what the garage says.

Where do I go from here please?

I would go to the Financial Obudsman for help. They helped me with my rejection and they are so thorough as well. You need to send them all relevant paperwork to back this up. Get Skoda and VWFS to put all this in writing to you. They have no right to treat you like this as a customer. All the law is on your side as a consumer and obviously your purchase is of unsatisfactory quality. There customer service is disgusting.

Good luck.

Thanks Stormchaser. I have asked for another meeting with the business manager because I have nothing in writing. They will let me know when it is convenient!

I will certainly consider the financial ombudsman route. Didnt realise they dealt with rejection of goods. Just thought they dealt with the finance people.

Thanks again.

They're great they deal with every aspect of finance in all trades/businesses. Basically they're the final word. I would start to record all calls etc as this is Skodas tactic. They don't do much in the way of writing to you. They state all calls are recorded but I believe that's BS. Good luck and keep at them constantly. I found that doing things in writing and not verbally is the best approach. I refused phone calls in the end and said I wanted everything in writing.

Despite skoda buying good customer service reports via auto express its appears it isn't really that good. Despite the fact I love my citigo I'll probably change brands when the time comes, their customer service seems too bad if I have problems.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2013 Citigo had failure of 1st and reverse within 2 weeks of owning it from new...it got stuck in reverse, RAC 'fixed' it, then on the drive to the garage, 1st gear completely failed. It had to have a completely new gearbox under warranty.