1.8T Fabia (built by Unit 18)

Nipped down to Unit 18 today to see their Fabia 1.8t project has been near enough completed (went for MOT today). Looks fantastic, the brief was to make it as OEM as possible and they seem to have achieved that. It's running about 250bhp until Alistair is happy everything is running correctly then I think it's being mapped/capable of 300-350bhp. It's in grey with a GT front bumper so looks nice a subtle too, should certainly surprise a few people. I'll try and get a picture of it Monday if I get the chance but there is a couple of pictures on their FB page. 

Are there any other conversions around the UK or is this the first? I've seen a few foreign ones but none in the UK before. 

Standard Fabia clocks, it's all built to work as a factory car, full mfa, full diag and full drive can communication, you could take this car to a dealer and they could talk to it as if it's a standard car, yes ross (techie) is using an engine I sold him lol plus as he is a close friend he also gets any info I've gleaned from this long ass project.

null_zpsbd58a20c.jpg

null_zps4421c4ad.jpg

null_zpsf59314b4.jpg

• Like 4

I almost went this route with my rally car but a 33mm restrictor kills the power too much, Is most of it plug and play if you have a 2.0 to rob parts from? or are there a few fabricated bits to do to get it in there? If I had to guess I would say the front loom was the hard part having made mine to fit the AVY motor and just done another for TDI from 16v.

Looks tidy mate.

I almost went this route with my rally car but a 33mm restrictor kills the power too much, Is most of it plug and play if you have a 2.0 to rob parts from? or are there a few fabricated bits to do to get it in there? If I had to guess I would say the front loom was the hard part having made mine to fit the AVY motor and just done another for TDI from 16v.

Looks tidy mate.

I'm not really gonna give away too much as my knowledge is what unit18 is built on but the only plug and play in this was fuel lines in the end, bear in mind it uses an Octavia gearbox and also retains factory aircon

• Like 1

I'm not really gonna give away too much as my knowledge is what unit18 is built on but the only plug and play in this was fuel lines in the end, bear in mind it uses an Octavia gearbox and also retains factory aircon

Where's the fun in that? You're not losing out on those who'd prefer you to do the work. Just makes life easier for those who wish to take on such a project themselves. 

Day

• Like 1

It's not about "fun" it's called business. You dont spend god knows how long to do a job PROPERLY to then give all the details away to you're competitors. Jesus christ. 

Anyway, back on topic, looks great, I think the owner is going to swap the wheels, i'm not keen on the colour with the grey colour of the car. Makes me wanna do mine even more now! 

• Like 2

Oh, Glad I didn't bother in the end then if it was that difficult to do.

It's not about "fun" it's called business. You dont spend god knows how long to do a job PROPERLY to then give all the details away to you're competitors. Jesus christ. 

Anyway, back on topic, looks great, I think the owner is going to swap the wheels, i'm not keen on the colour with the grey colour of the car. Makes me wanna do mine even more now! 

Of course its about fun. Why the hell would you have the conversion in the first place? As stated, not everyone is capable or bothered about doing the conversion themselves. Oh, and tone it down, TOOL!

Day

Edited by Day-VRS
  • Like 1

Oh, Glad I didn't bother in the end then if it was that difficult to do.

Depends what you want, you could sling a 1.8t in anything and get it running fine and quite cheaply with a relay for power supply and use standalone gauges.

This particular car was a project in oem integration :)

• Like 1

Of course its about fun. Why the hell would you have the conversion in the first place? As stated, not everyone is capable or bothered about doing the conversion themselves. Oh, and tone it down, TOOL!

Day

ally doesn't run his own business for a bit of ****ing fun

ally doesn't run his own business for a bit of ******* fun

Obviously, but for those that arent incapable of doing the work or fancy a built not bought approach, little details are always helpful! Its hardly taking any business away from them is it? Because at the end of the day the people who are willing to pay for the conversion are still going to pay for it!

I can appreciate its alot of work upto OEM standard, but its nice to have a little insight as to what work goes into a project like that to make it work.

Day