Driving at night - Dipped beam - Horrific!

Cheers xman, just ordered a set, even found a promo code for 25% off so got them for £7.49.

Got to be worth a try, I'll see if they're any better than the Nightbreakers I've got in.

If they're not at least it's peanuts for a set of back up bulbs to keep in the boot.

If anyone's interested, the promo code is PARTS25.

• Like 1

Cheers xman, just ordered a set, even found a promo code for 25% off so got them for £7.49.

Got to be worth a try, I'll see if they're any better than the Nightbreakers I've got in.

If they're not at least it's peanuts for a set of back up bulbs to keep in the boot.

If anyone's interested, the promo code is PARTS25.

:@ Doh! I ordered 2 sets at 9.99 ea !! Curses.... :wall:

Edit: Sent them an email to see if I can wangle the extra discount (or cancel the order..)

Edited by xman

I've just fitted my Bosch 90+ bulbs which I got for £7.49 for the pair from xman's link above.

Compared to the Nighbreakers I had in they seem brighter with a definite long beam although I don't think they're as white.

I'm going to leave them in as I've only had a short drive with them so I can see what they're like on a longer drive.

Early signs are good though so I'll probably leave them in, they're certainly better than the standard bulbs and I've tweaked them a little to raise them which has made a big difference.

So, car was in today and hd the headlights sorted, apparently the headlights were well below the MOT pass level, they have now set them to the maximum MOT pass level, a little worrying for a car thats brand new!, had a short drive in the dark tonight and i'm pleased to say the headlights are great now, huge improvement!  

• Like 1

They were dangerous at the level they were set at from factory. They should of been checked ither on instalation or at the PDI to ensure they are fit for use. Im obviously not the only person with the same issue of poorly set headlights.

I used to be able to see perfectly well using the stock headlights - that was until everyone else got brighter and brighter headlights and now I am blinded so regularly and have spots in my eyes I can't see a darn thing. :wall:

• Like 3

Headlights on dipped beam are pretty poor on Fabias, but they do work as required to meet the UK MOT requirements, 

So what would a check at the PDI using a MOT type beam checker show other than the Headlights meet the requirements as to EU Type Approval & C&U.

that is giving the light required at UK National Speed Limits which is 70 mph as a max & 60 mph on single carriageways.

If you have trouble seeing on back roads when on dipped beam there is the option to go slower until you can see.

Abroad they must be pretty dangerous if doing higher speeds. but then again where ever you are, if you can not see, the accelerator pedal moves both ways, up and down.

The Dealership and PDI checks on the light unit setting is not the problem,

The Manufacturer is the one that needs telling if light units are wrong leaving the factory,

they can hardly claim they were knocked off of setting while 'In Transit'.

george

Headlights on dipped beam are pretty poor on Fabias, but they do work as required to meet the UK MOT requirements, 

So what would a PDI show other than the Headlights meet the requirements as to EU Type Approval & C&U.

that is giving the light required at UK National Speed Limits which is 70 mph as a max & 60 mph on single carriageways.

If you have trouble seeing on back roads when on dipped beam there is the option to go slower until you can see.

Abroad they must be pretty dangerous if doing higher speeds. but then again where ever you are, if you can not see, the accelerator pedal moves both ways, up and down.

george

Mine were below the UK Mot legal level. So should have never been aloud to be used untill sorted. And there operation should have been tested before delivery to me.

Have you made the Dealership aware of that,?

because once you have they will have the responsibility to risk assess the Vehicles coming in from Manufacturers and then see if the PDI will need to start checking that headlight settings meet UK MOT standards.

Vehicles can surely not drive on the Public Highway for 3 years from being delivered new to customers, only to then fail the MOT at the first test 3 years later.

If you make the Dealer Aware, then its going to be down to them to be dealing with their vehicle supplier as to why new vehicles are arriving with lights illegally set for use on UK roads, and they are requiring to adjust them before delivery.

george

They were dangerous at the level they were set at from factory. They should of been checked ither on instalation or at the PDI to ensure they are fit for use. Im obviously not the only person with the same issue of poorly set headlights.

I meant that the car or headlights per se aren't dangerous, it is an adjustment issue

I have now read post # 22 again.

I see you did report it to the garage.

? Were they below the MOT limit on each headlight manual setting available in the car to the driver when no load other than driver in the car?

Put that in writing then, & forward to Skoda UK, and then the mater can not just be dismissed.

If cars arrive from the factory with lights not meeting the setting required for UK roads, supplying dealers will need to change their PDI schedules.

There is a setting in many cars for the driver to move the beam according to the load in the car, or in the rear.

Often 0-1-2-3.   (Some vehicles have Auto Setting)

With weight in the rear of an estate, you might well be more likely to get flashed as the car hunkers down at the rear and the front rises and the beam shines too high at other drivers on dipped.

It is good & rather important to first have a good setting as unloaded,then have a proper range of adjustment available as you carry different loads.

Some do the likes of a 40 mm drop in their suspension then forget to have the lights adjusted/re-set.

I have now read post # 22 again.

I see you did report it to the garage.

? Were they below the MOT limit on each headlight manual setting available in the car to the driver when no load other than driver in the car?

Put that in writing then, & forward to Skoda UK, and then the mater can not just be dismissed.

If cars arrive from the factory with lights not meeting the setting required for UK roads, supplying dealers will need to change their PDI schedules.

There is a setting in many cars for the driver to move the beam according to the load in the car, or in the rear.

Often 0-1-2-3. (Some vehicles have Auto Setting)

With weight in the rear of an estate,, you might well be more likely to get flashed as the car hunkers down and the beam shines at other drivers.

It is good to first have proper a range of adjustment available as you carry different loads.

Some do the likes of a 40 mm drop in their suspension then forget to have the lights adjusted/re-set.

Yes the dial was set at '0' and both headlights were under the UK limit, Skoda UK are already aware of the issue of them being low but i am waiting on a follow up call today from them to inform them how bad it was.

It wouldnt suprise me if cars are failing/near to after 3 years becuase of the issue. I heard somewhere a few weeks ago that a high % of new cars at 1st MOT are failing!

Edited by GLENT54321

The PDI Looks over the car, Pre Delivery Inspection.

checks the tightness of wheel nuts, tyre pressures, (maybe) oil & fluid levels, and bits and pieces. check dash, set, check lights etc,

Simple visual checks for all being well.

but not on the tester and unlikely the car will be driven in the dark for anyone to spot beams off the correct setting.

write up service book & stamp,

Or all should be getting done, .  Tick off the check list. Different Manufacturers deliver cars in different states or prepared.

Some vehicles get delivered to central Workshops where the preparation is done, some is Dealership workshops

It might be all get done as one with the preparation of the car for delivery.

Some PDI's are no place near the washers, polishers and vacuumers.

Unwrapping, De-waxing, putting on hub caps or wheel nut covers, face on the radio, fitting the Options being done at the dealers, removal of transit blocks etc.

Taking the car to a filling station/road test as one trip.

Possible done before Polishing and any treatments sometimes before and then another quick check afterwords.

It is nothing like a MOT really.

george

Theoretically the car should leave the factory in a legal state - which implies that either the headlamp adjustment rig in the plant is "off", or it didn't actually go through the headlamp test...

If it doesn't, then theoretically, they can't adhere to the Type Approval for the vehicle - and hence can't be sold meaning that (applying the letter of the law) each car should then have the UK IVA test.

Extreme, but thats how each doesn't need to get checked by VOSA as the methods used in the factory have theoretically be agreed to and that every car will pass those tests before leaving the track.

Let's not get carried away about not meeting type approval

The OP has stated that they are fine when correctly adjusted, so it's merely an adjustment thing

If the headlamps were 'dangerous' however they were adjusted I'm sure Skoda would have had a massive recall issue on its hands

If that is the case, then driving them on the UK roads might put them back into alignment.

Funnily cars with the lights set properly can stay correctly set  for decades,

The fact is if they are wrong or poorly set from the factory, then they are likely to be wrong leaving the dealers.

If someone has a wee tamper, and has to think,  do you move that this way or that, where was it before i touched them,

then there is a 50/50 chance they get it wrong when self adjusting with the bonnet open.

george

Strange how so many of us have found the beam set too low on the car as delivered. It would be very interesting to hear Skoda UK's response. The problem is made worse with the single bulb projector design with the shutter for dip. This gives a very defined cut off to the dipped beam pattern, beyond which there is only darkness. Given the choice I would go back to a good old fashioned head light design. I have not been so disillusioned (or should that be unilluminated) with lights on a car since I drove a 1959 VW Beetle with a 6 volt system. Luckily that car couldn't do 0 to 60 in 7 seconds!