Driving at night - Dipped beam - Horrific!

Glad I found this thread and proved I'm not going mad!  I've had my vRS since the end of August but this week was the first time I've had to drive in the dark and boy was it scary.  The main roads were fine but then I have to go down country lanes for several miles which are hairy enough to drive down in the daytime (mainly due to tractors and pointy heads who can't keep within the painted lines).  The dipped lights were awful and I couldn't see very far in front, full beam was fine though.  I'm taking the car to my skoda garage in about an hour and they're going to check them on the MOT stand, I just hope they don't say they're fine and I look a right tube.  Going to treat myself to some Osrams though after reading about them here as it's going to be dark going/coming from work soon enough.

Just had the lights checked and they said they were fine and within MOT testing limits so it would pass the MOT no problem. 

I've now bought some Osrams as recommended here so I'll put them in next week when I get them and see what difference they make.  I take it it's easy to replace the bulbs?  Think I just remove the rubber cap, turn it and out it pops?

Just had the lights checked and they said they were fine and within MOT testing limits so it would pass the MOT no problem. 

I've now bought some Osrams as recommended here so I'll put them in next week when I get them and see what difference they make.  I take it it's easy to replace the bulbs?  Think I just remove the rubber cap, turn it and out it pops?

They may be in the MOT limit BUT, there probably at the very lower limit of the test. maybe try adjusting them yourself? 

I can vouch for the poor factory settings by Skoda..My new Roomster had the same light problem as the OP in that they were appalling at night and yes quite scary...The dealer had it back and reckoned they had adjusted them but they were no better so I took it to an MOT garage of my acquaintance who properly adjusted them and told me that the factory setting was insufficent to pass an MOT..

I think you will find Skoda are aware of the problem but for some reason seems to be on the `too hard` pile for them to solve.....or might it just be a problem at the factory with RHD models...They delivered mine with the heated seats wired up to the wrong switches,as if for a left hooker..

• Like 1

I can vouch for the poor factory settings by Skoda..My new Roomster had the same light problem as the OP in that they were appalling at night and yes quite scary...The dealer had it back and reckoned they had adjusted them but they were no better so I took it to an MOT garage of my acquaintance who properly adjusted them and told me that the factory setting was insufficent to pass an MOT..

I think you will find Skoda are aware of the problem but for some reason seems to be on the `too hard` pile for them to solve.....or might it just be a problem at the factory with RHD models...They delivered mine with the heated seats wired up to the wrong switches,as if for a left hooker..

Ont he heated seat thing, mine had Exactly the same fault, they were wired up so the driver switch turned the passneger seat on and visa versa!

Im in talking with Skoda UK with regards to the headlight fault and they are due to call me back monday, tewy told me they have never heard of this problem before! so thats obviously complete  balls.

i sent them a link to this thread on this forum for them to read on just the few cases wh had exactly the same problem as me.

Can't recommend Osram Nightbreakers enough. They really do transform standard headlights.

Would also say I used to work for Toyota and the PDI at thedealership where I worked had more checks in it than an MOT. For example every car had a full four wheel alignment done as part of the PDI as well as all the stuff you would expect to be done before a car is delivered to a customer. I guess it is more dealer dependent than manufacturer though?

Should add, that once adjusted correctly the lights do work well and provide adequate road lighting. As for SUK, well they are a complete joke...They fed me so much bullshine during the delivery process that they gave me a voucher for £50 as a goodwill gesture. Take whatever they say with a huge pinch of salt and ask to speak to one of the managers. The call takers are very pleasant but very poorly trained...One tried telling me that my car had been on the boat 10 days but would soon be in Grimsby.........It was only coming from Emden and another told me that the rubber side strips were not available anymore in the UK......muppets

Is the dipped and main beam in the Mk2 VRS a shared bulb, or are they separate? 

I'm tempted to add to my list of things to do, to get a HIDS4U kit for for the Dipped, and then some matching colour bulbs for main beam if it is a separate bulb. I really miss the HIDS from my S2K, and I get the impression there would be a huge improvement reading this thread !

Is the dipped and main beam in the Mk2 VRS a shared bulb, or are they separate? 

I'm tempted to add to my list of things to do, to get a HIDS4U kit for for the Dipped, and then some matching colour bulbs for main beam if it is a separate bulb. I really miss the HIDS from my S2K, and I get the impression there would be a huge improvement reading this thread !

Black pack lights use single bulbs with a shutter, the older silver lights use separate bulbs for dip and high beam.

parts25 code gives these for £11.24 today ..ive had a punt !

I bought these last week, no code but only £9.99!....sorry. They do seem to change these offers quite quickly.

I've just returned from my local dealer and they've adjusted my Monte's headlights up as far as they legally can, FOC. They admitted that the lights were at the minimum requirement ie. low, but said that they'd not had any complaints before. I'll check how much better they are on my commute in the morning, and if needs be invest in some Osram Nightbreakers.

• Like 1

I fitted the Bosch's last week and coupled with a bit of adjustment on the headlights they are much better.

Had Osrams in before but they were out of my old car so may have been past their best but my current set up is fab.

Got them for £7.49 with promo code a couple of weeks ago, for the performance they're a bargain.

Not quite as white as the Osrams though.

Well even though I ordered mine before well Gazbull, I still havent got mine! :swear:

I phoned ECP early last week as my order status was "unknown". They said they ran out of stock but got some more and they were on their way. Then on Saturday still not arrived and got an email saying they were out of stock and cant get any more and either they would refund the order or send me Osrams nightbreakers instead. When I phoned they told me they had been overwhelmed by the demand - yeah blah blah...

Took the Osram's but most annoyed as I know they have shorter life than the Bosch. And I didnt get Gazbull's price... Shysters.

Sorry to hear xman, I bought them straight from your link when I read it.

The Osrams were voted best bulb in Auto Express, that's why I bought them originally so you're still getting a great bulb.

I know I used a promo code and got them cheaper but to get Nightbreakers for £10 a pair is still a cracking price.

Mine were delivered by UPS couriers quite quick so you should get yours soon.

I too have experienced the problem with poor light output from the Fabia vrs lights.

I however have 2 H7's in each light pod. I have a 2011 vrs.

Dipped beam is projector = Defined beam but poor reach

Main beam is reflector. = lights up everything

Are these the old or new style of lights? Or are they just a vrs version as I know someone with a Monti and they have the dual dip and main projector style light. His don't seem to be helped by the fact that the light pod is tinted as standard.

I've ended putting the following bulbs in. Naughty I know but no one has flashed me and I personally don't think they are much better than my standard 55W Osram bulbs. http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/products/Cars/Bulbs/Performance+Bulbs/RW464

I think it was a massive oversight for Skoda not to have Xenon's as an upgrade option.

Wow, what a difference! Since my dealer adjusted Monte's lights up to the legal maximum I can now actually see very well into the distance. It really is a massive improvement, so much so that I'm not even going to fit any different bulbs.

One very happy camper!

parts25 discount was working this morning to take it down to £7.49...

Edited by xman
  • Like 1