DSG V Manual?

I am a lifelong manual car driver, the only auto I have ever owned was a MK1 Vauxhall (spit splutter) cavalier Auto, It was horrendous, not just as an auto but it was a bad car which I failed miserably in checking out, ( I was young and foolish ;-)   )

I am now looking to swap my Octavia 2.0 TDI CR L & K 2011 for a Superb probably the Elegance unless I can find a very well spec'd SE or SE plus.

The point of this drivel is that I have seen a very nice Superb but it's DSG. Any opinions would be very welcome, particularly from converts who went from manual to DSG.

As an aside I also tow a touring caravan.

Thanks

Ray

I have always bought manual cars as I disliked auto's....laggy changes...poor fuel consumption less control over what's going on etc,

but due to delivery delays I took the car in the showroom...170 dsg elegance estate.

Fabulous gearbox can be driven in auto or manual mode...flappy paddle gearchange...would not have specced this myself..but fun to have.

However hard I try I cannot beat the fuel consumption by changing manually.......average since new 35k miles 47mpg.

would not go back to manual after experiencing dsg.

Also put it in sports mode and it really f's off.

I accidentally ended up test driving a Superb Elegance DSG over the weekend (went in for a service, nearly came out with a new car) and I thought it suits the Superb very well. Its a comfy, quiet, relaxing car and I wouldn't have ever considered an auto myself, but now I'm should-I-or-shouldn't-I as it completes the experience. My main reservations are parking in tight spaces on a slope and long term reliability. The only complaint I have against the car I drove is that the 140 engine didn't really feel up to the job of hauling a 4x4 Superb estate around. Holding the pedal to the floor in sport didn't give me what I expected from the car, nor did it have the flappy paddles, but I believe they are retrofittable.

Hello

I have a 2012 se 140 estate with DSG..re towing..its effortless..the gearbox does the same with or without the caravan..doesn't strain in gears ..doesn't stick to low gears as some olders autos..no need to use sport mode (45mpg solo 26mpg towing)

Go for DSG you won't regret it

Baz

I hadn't even driven an auto before I took delivery of my DSG Superb (a bit of a risk I know!!) - and I absolutely love it!!

So much more relaxing to drive than a manual, and tows our caravan a treat!!

Hi Ray 

I went through a similar investigation, even if from a slightly different starting point.  If you don't mind visiting the Yeti forum, you might like to skim through http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/230223-towing-with-the-dsg/

My own summary is at #20, but there's a lot of other useful comment there.  It would seem that a majority say that, having tried DSG, they would be at least reluctant to go back to manual. 

I have a 4x4 L&K estate with DSG since April, a 5000 mile demonstrator. I have had a few autos (amongst the 40+ cars I've owned) and wanted the DSG as it's the best auto box currently made IMO. When I first had the car I was looking at chipping it but as the miles go on I think the engine is loosening up and I''m getting to know the car better.

I can't recall an occasion when I wanted more go - although it has occurred - my pdriving style tends towards "press on". I would buy another one tomorrow. The only thing I wonder about is whether some adjustable rear dampers would reduce the wallow it sometimes exhibits on fast undulating B roads - but it is a BIG COMFY estate.

• Like 1

Have auto on all my cars, (one DSG, and two "normal" autos). The thought of going back to pointlessly changing gear myself when it is done for me is a no brainer.

Edited by The Zee

I have to agree with the general tone of this thread, the DSG really suits the Suberb.

It is indeed a big, comfy touring car, & the DSG just adds to the "laid-back" driving experience.

I still run a V6 Mondeo, (been using it today 'cos it was outside the house & I didn't have time to open up the garage......) & though I enjoy the engine & the car's overall ability as an estate car I often wish that it been available with an auto box of some sort. (The 3.0 litre V6 was never certified with an auto box in europe, AFAIK).

As a side line, my partner swapped her VW EOS manual for a DSG Octy 2FL vRS earlier this year & loves it.

Nippy enough in "D" for almost any occaision, with "S" or manual modes for the red mist moments.......

She's now looking for a DSG petrol EOS for next summer, just for the odd weekend away......

As for DSG & diesels, we chose the 2.0 L TSi's 'cos our annual mileage is low enough to not need the potential savings. but we have driven Superbs & Octavia DSG diesels &, INOVHO, they are a good match & make for a better driving experience.

Still to noisy for us, but much better than a manual transmission, if only 'cos they take very little away in economy, but keep the diesel engine in it's relatively narrow power band with no effort from the driver.

I'm a DSG fan as you might of guessed...........  

HTH, DC. 

I work at a skoda dealership and get to drive all the models on a daily basis. I bought a new 13 plate  superb elegance estate 4x4 170cr and went for manual as the dsg wasn't available on a 170 4x4 on the pre facelift, We tow a large caravan with it and it is so effortless. Dsg? only thing I found when I tried a 140 superb estate fitted with dsg was it lacked when towing, To prove a point just read this months caravan club magazine which gave the new superb elegance 170 estate the overall tow car of the year again, There comment was the same as mine the car was awesome but the dsg was in there eyes "to eager" BUT when I ordered my 13 plate last may  the dsg was an option on the 170 4x4  would I have opted the answer would have possibly been yes as I think it is a cracking bit of kit.

• Like 1

We have always had manual cars and never considered an auto etc before.

We were looking at new cars (Fabias mainly) but then just happened to spot the Octavia. Thought the ammount of car for the money was god and were prepared to spend a little more.

Saw that it was DSG and just thought why not. Give it a go...

Never will I want to go back to a manual again!

So basically take a test drive and see what you think. It's what sold us on a DSG.

I accidentally ended up test driving a Superb Elegance DSG over the weekend (went in for a service, nearly came out with a new car) and I thought it suits the Superb very well. Its a comfy, quiet, relaxing car and I wouldn't have ever considered an auto myself, but now I'm should-I-or-shouldn't-I as it completes the experience. My main reservations are parking in tight spaces on a slope and long term reliability. The only complaint I have against the car I drove is that the 140 engine didn't really feel up to the job of hauling a 4x4 Superb estate around. Holding the pedal to the floor in sport didn't give me what I expected from the car, nor did it have the flappy paddles, but I believe they are retrofittable.

All I can say is... do it!

I've found that the DSG box completely trasforms how the engine and car feels. Been in a manual Octavia 1.9 before and it felt totally different.

I have also found that Sport mode on a diesel is... well... pointless! The best experience either comes fromjust using Drive or by changing manually. The advantage of changing manually is being able to use full throttle without being in a low gear and the engine revving right out (torque drops off).

Phil

We have two DSGs in the family - my Superb 170CR and my wife's Fabia 1.2 TSI.

I'd had my Octavia for 6 years and I went out looking specifically for a Superb with DSG to give it a try; mainly because my wife was finding the clutch on the Octavia more and more difficult to us (she has mobility issues, the clutch wasn't at fault) and I'd always wanted a Superb combi since they were introduced.

I was originally going to go for a brand new SE model but saw a 6 month old dealer Elegance model nearby and went to test drive it.  I had no hesitation in deciding that was the car for me even after driving manuals since passing my test some 20+ years ago.  When we went to collect it a week later I persuaded my wife to try a one year old DSG Fabia (she had a Hyundai Getz manual at the time) and we bought that on the spot.  We collected it the following week and she loves it.

As others have said DSG really suits the Superb and makes for effortless cruising.  It's rare on the roads I travel that there's any opportunity to hoof about and if I want to there's sport or the flappy paddles behind the wheel.  Over-taking is problem free and kickdown is there if welly is required.

We had no intention of towing but have subsequently purchased a folding camper and more recently a caravan.  The combination of cruise control and DSG makes motorway driving a breeze as the car handles all the change downs for either going up hill or maintaining speed when going down hill.

The only minor criticism I have is that sometime the box is too eager to change up which can catch it out when I know that I'm about to accelerate and the box doesn't and changes up a gear.  There's one spot particular on the way home where it goes into 6th at 30mph just before a hill and then juggles gears for a few seconds before selecting the correct one for the climb.  I tend to use the paddles at that point.  99% of the time it's spot on.

Reversing backwards up steep hills can be interesting too as you can't control it with the clutch and it's often a case of it revving wildly before screaming off backwards  :giggle:

I drove the DSG recently on a test drive. was really easy to drive. I spotted the Hesitation on the odd change. But the higher rpm than the manual put me off. As I do quite a high mileage. My cars nearly 3 weeks old and it done nearly 800miles. If I didn't do the high miles I would have gone for the 4x4 dsg CR170.

Pete

I love Marmite, and drive a manual.

I hate Marmite and drive a manual.

Back OT, I was hoping for a DSG on my last car change but the emissions put it out of the water (for company car tax / lease limits) but a DSG box is certainly going to be very high on my list come 2 years time.

Having driven a Q7 (of all things) and Octavia with DSG it was certainly a much more relaxed drive and especially so in the queues.

I hate Marmite and drive a manual.

Back OT, I was hoping for a DSG on my last car change but the emissions put it out of the water (for company car tax / lease limits) but a DSG box is certainly going to be very high on my list come 2 years time.

Having driven a Q7 (of all things) and Octavia with DSG it was certainly a much more relaxed drive and especially so in the queues.

Unfortunately that puts a lot of people off in the same situation.

A note on the Q7 though... if it was a 3.0 TDI then it's not actually a DSG is it? If it's like the Touareg they use a 7 or 8 speed ZF box with lockable torque converter. The new 8 speed I think can lock the torque converter in any gear. You can feel it under heavy acceleration as it looses that smooth change and suddenly pulls.

Phil

Unfortunately that puts a lot of people off in the same situation.

A note on the Q7 though... if it was a 3.0 TDI then it's not actually a DSG is it? If it's like the Touareg they use a 7 or 8 speed ZF box with lockable torque converter. The new 8 speed I think can lock the torque converter in any gear. You can feel it under heavy acceleration as it looses that smooth change and suddenly pulls.

Phil

It was a 3.0 TDi S-Line - can't recall whether it was 6, 7 or 8 speed. It was an old 57 plate so might have been the early 6 speed DSG they put on, don't think the tiptronic came until later with the 7/8 speed box??  Regardless it was pretty smooth but clunky under hard acceleration.

In contrast, the Jag XF I test drove recently had an 8 speed auto box and that was just sublime - smooth doesn't come close.

It was a 3.0 TDi S-Line - can't recall whether it was 6, 7 or 8 speed. It was an old 57 plate so might have been the early 6 speed DSG they put on, don't think the tiptronic came until later with the 7/8 speed box??  Regardless it was pretty smooth but clunky under hard acceleration.

In contrast, the Jag XF I test drove recently had an 8 speed auto box and that was just sublime - smooth doesn't come close.

You may be right. Just had it in my head that the 3.0 TDI had too much torque for the DSG box.

And yes... that 8 speed ZF gearbox is very nice!

Phil

I took the 170 tdi dsg for a test drive and the quality of the gear changes was fine. I just found that the box never allowed the engine to get off its knees before it changed up, this was in D. You can employ manual mode but this sort of defeats the object? Went for the six speed in the end and its a nice box. The new car replaces a Subaru Legacy 3R auto.