New rubber time!

Tyres working nice.

Dry performance - 8/10

Wet performance - 8/10

cornering = good, less understeer than the falkens in the wet

braking - very good but strange squirely movement in back end

under heavy braking from high speed although stops very quick.

I have checked the bolts are torqued up and tyre pressures are

correct its as if the tyre wall is flexing and allowing the car to move

side to side a little. Maybe i knocked a brake pad slightly changing the

wheels and it just needs to settle back onto the disc. Had a quick

visual every thing seams in order.

I bet i have lost a 1mm already through extensive testing :giggle:  :angel:

But at £54 i can have two sets compared to what a 'Top 3' brand would have cost so happy so far.

Thing is when everyone is making comparisons about the new tyres they've bought they're probably basing this on how the car felt on the old tyres. I would expect most new tyres to feel a lot better.

Anyone got any recommendation s for winter tyres? Looking to change end of next month. Not fussed on price.

I've used hankook Icebear the last couple of winters and found them really good. Just bought avon ice touring to replace them. £90 each for 225/40 18

Thing is when everyone is making comparisons about the new tyres they've bought they're probably basing this on how the car felt on the old tyres. I would expect most new tyres to feel a lot better.

Not necessarily, I changed my Falkens before they breached the wear indicator they had 3mm - 4mm as measured by skoda at my service but after 3 years and wanting to get the wheels refurbed i thought they had earned a rest. The legal limit is about 1.6mm. So the falkens were still giving good performance and these new avons are very similar possibly a bit better in the wet. If you put some cheapo brand on they feel very bad straight away i still have nightmares about the 4 sunew i had fitted.(never again)

Not necessarily, I changed my Falkens before they breached the wear indicator they had 3mm - 4mm as measured by skoda at my service but after 3 years and wanting to get the wheels refurbed i thought they had earned a rest. The legal limit is about 1.6mm. So the falkens were still giving good performance and these new avons are very similar possibly a bit better in the wet. If you put some cheapo brand on they feel very bad straight away i still have nightmares about the 4 sunew i had fitted.(never again)

Agree with the comment about really cheap tyres...tried them once and never again. Most tyre manufacturers recommend changing at 3mm as wet weather performance becomes a lot worse. But a branded new tyre with 8mm of tread will probably always feel better than the previous worn tyres. Can you honestly remember how good the falkens were when new 3 years ago to say the avons are a lot better?

Conti SC2 on my diesel Vrs, fronts need replacing now at 12000, mostly commuting, 40 miles a day, at between 40-60 mph in queues of traffic, with the occasional spirited drive, disappointed in their longevity. Based on previous reviews on the forum I'm switching to Goodyear Asymmetric 2, hopefully get a few more miles out of them

Half the trouble is there are so many brands around these days I've never heard of before. Then it turns out that some are actually made by better known companies anyway.

When I first got wheels (NO, it wasn't horse-drawn ! )  I think all I'd ever heard of were Dunlop, Goodyear and Firestone !!

Half the trouble is there are so many brands around these days I've never heard of before. Then it turns out that some are actually made by better known companies anyway.

When I first got wheels (NO, it wasn't horse-drawn ! )  I think all I'd ever heard of were Dunlop, Goodyear and Firestone !!

Thats the chinese for you, copy in bulk with inferior materials. There must be a market for it though people who don't care about their safety and are happy with tyres called wingwangwoo or whatever. Im sure some are fit for pupose but i would sooner pay a bit more for a recomended brand, knowing its the only thing that makes contact with the tarmac and i have my kids in the back.

Our 1.4TSI estate gets through the front OEM spec Dunlops in 15,000 miles.  The rears last probably twice as long, which is odd given that the old model we had wore all four tyres every 20,000, yet had a heavier diesel engine.  The overall cost is about the same.

The local dealer advised against Dunlops again as he says they are particularly prone to the sawtoothing problem on the rear (caused by out of spec camber).  We are now on Toyo Proxes CF1 (just discontinued in favour of the CF2 with lower rolling resistance), which we found to be a good all round tyre on the Octavia I.  Oh, and Nokian WR D3 for winter, but that's another story.

The worst tyres we had on the Octavia I were Goodyear Hydragrip, which wore a bit too quickly for my liking and weren't as fuel-efficient as the Toyos, which are themselves considered a high rolling resistance tyre these days.

Edited by rogerzilla

Thank god it's not just me that ends up more confused then!

I know I don't do a massive mileage, but I'll soon be the only Blackline owner around here still running the original tyres at this rate. I'll have to get my little measuring stick out to them tomorrow, but they don't look too bad (that said they've only done 7k). 

Still got the originals on mine at 17K. Admittedly i had the winter tyres on for 8k of that :)

I have a blackline it's a year old now done 12500 miles conti sc2 n/s/f 1.6mm o/s/f 2mm just had falken azenis fk453 fitted first impressions pretty good not much differance to the contis priced at £92 each including fitting balancing and disposal of old tyres also got a lifetime warranty with them if any of them are damaged beyond repair then the tyre will be replaced and you will only be charged for the proportion of the tread that you have used pretty good I think

Thats the chinese for you, copy in bulk with inferior materials. There must be a market for it though people who don't care about their safety and are happy with tyres called wingwangwoo or whatever. Im sure some are fit for pupose but i would sooner pay a bit more for a recomended brand, knowing its the only thing that makes contact with the tarmac and i have my kids in the back.

Wingwangwoo do a brilliant track day tyre!!    :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I have been actively searching for 2 new tyres, and was considering the Vredestein Vortis from Camskill at £88 plus £3 delivery per tyre. But then I found the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's at lovetyres.com for £95 plus delivery, (total of £199 for 2 tyres), which seems to be a very good price (Camskill were £102 plus £3 delivery per tyre).

Edited by Catweasal

I have been running these on the Scout http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-sport & Im incredibly impressed. I run them on the Nissan ( 500 bhp ) so thought I would try a set on the Scout. Might be worth those who want a bit more grip trying them on a VRS. They wear reosnably quickly but I do tend to push the car very very hard. Developed by Toyo initially in conjunction with Audi as a OEM tyre for quicker Audis so probably why they feel at home on the Skoda for me