Fog lights

Stormchaser

Access to the fog light bulbs are fairly easy, although it requires you to wield your trusty screwdriver to remove two screws and a small expanding plastic rivet.

You gain access through the wheel arches. 

2j284n9.jpg

The bulbs are of type H11 55W. I replaced mine for a pair of these: 

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h11-12v-55w-super-white-hid-class-upgrade-bulbs/

Edited by john999boy
Bulbs should be HB4 - read later posts!
  • Like 2

Interested to see how the plastic rivet is actually removed.  I couldn't figure out how to remove it (without breaking it) but managed the job of upgrading the two bulbs without removing it at all.

The plastic rivet is a two-piece unit. An outer unit consisting of a set of expanding arm, + a inner pin that keeps these arms expanded, thus securing the rivet in place. To remove the rivet, the inner core must be pulled out. This allows for the rivet arms to contract. Once the inner pin is free the rivet can be pulled out by hand.

Don't worry if you break it. Rivets like these are widely used among all car brands and spares can be bought online for next to nothing.

Edited by loadinglevelone
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just bought Mtec as linked to above, but the socket is not compatible with the wire plug, the 2 pins on the Mtec sits closer together than on the originals !!

Did I buy the wrong ones, and is there a socket code I can check so I don't buy wrong ones again ??

The plastic rivet is a two-piece unit. An outer unit consisting of a set of expanding arm, + a inner pin that keeps these arms expanded, thus securing the rivet in place. To remove the rivet, the inner core must be pulled out. This allows for the rivet arms to contract. Once the inner pin is free the rivet can be pulled out by hand.

Don't worry if you break it. Rivets like these are widely used among all car brands and spares can be bought online for next to nothing.

Thank you for this useful tip.  I think I replaced my foglight bulbs without removing this and without jacking the car up.  It was way back in May so I've forgotten what I did exactly.

• 1 year later...

Not exactly the same topic but does anyone know how easy/hard it would be to replace the near side front fog lamp unit? The glass in ours is cracked and we've just been quoted £108 for the job at Skoda.

:no:  

They are held in by three (might be four, can't remember) Torx bolts T27, they are a bit tricky to get at on the drivers side coz of the AC hoses, not sure on the access on the passenger side! Took about 20 minutes to sort ( mine had detached from the adjuster mechanism!) and it looked as if I had been self harming myself on my forearms due to the sharp edges from the bumper cover and arch liner!!

• Like 1

They are held in by three (might be four, can't remember) Torx bolts T27, they are a bit tricky to get at on the drivers side coz of the AC hoses, not sure on the access on the passenger side! Took about 20 minutes to sort ( mine had detached from the adjuster mechanism!) and it looked as if I had been self harming myself on my forearms due to the sharp edges from the bumper cover and arch liner!!

I believe it's 3, it might side drastic but perhaps remove the wheel and then the arch liner, you might have an easier view and reach of the unit then (and won't risk losing a limb as many of us have found out when swapping the bulbs :doh:) here's a photo showing the space you have without the liner, you might find though that the washer tank gets in the way (I know there isn't a panel in the photo, just imagine it's there)

asata2ut.jpg

But to be honest you might be able to just remove the unit as a whole by unscrewing it and pulling it forward, if that's the case then Skoda clearly put the most difficult option in for changing the bulbs

• 3 months later...

I just found HB4 bulb from my fog light. Car is model 2015. I bought H11 bulbs because I trusted the "best answer" from this topic. Quite frustrating if I say it nicely. :swear:

I just found HB4 bulb from my fog light. Car is model 2015. I bought H11 bulbs because I trusted the "best answer" from this topic. Quite frustrating if I say it nicely. :swear:

The 'Best Answer' has now been amended and untagged Emil. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• Like 1

If you need me to I can send you a copy of the all the bulb numbers for future reference :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks. Even better if we all could find bulb types from "useful part numbers"- sticky topic. ;) Maybe moderators could help?

There are already useful "lamp applications" on line (eg Osram and Philips)....put your reg.number in (or full model description) and get every applicable lamp, and also possible upgrades.