Uniroyal Rainsport 3

Grizzle

Done 300 miles so far initial 50-100 you could feel them scrubbing on the wet while taking bends but now they are perfect, same soft sidewall though i'm afraid, alot quieter though massive difference there,  and my mpg has gone up by 5 mpg (calculated)

As these are asymmetric tyres, are they revisable?

They are asymmetric, ie, the inside is different to the outside. They are not directional. Once they are correctly fitted to the wheel, you can fit them too whichever side of the car you want.

The old Rainsport 2's were directional, so once fitted the the wheel, they could only put on one side of the car.

In the past there have been asymmetric and directional tyres, as discussed here, but this is very rare.

• Like 1

That's an amazing price IMHO, as Blackcircles want £77 for Kumho and £85 for Toyo, any other well known brand is over £100 (albeit it included fitting, valve and balancing).

I wonder if they will get near the Camskill price (plus £10-15 for fitting, balancing & valve)?????

Done 300 miles so far initial 50-100 you could feel them scrubbing on the wet while taking bends but now they are perfect, same soft sidewall though i'm afraid, alot quieter though massive difference there,  and my mpg has gone up by 5 mpg (calculated)

Do you mean your mpg has increased or decreased by 5mpg, is you get 5 mpg more or 5 mpg less?

That's an amazing price IMHO, as Blackcircles want £77 for Kumho and £85 for Toyo, any other well known brand is over £100 (albeit it included fitting, valve and balancing).

I wonder if they will get near the Camskill price (plus £10-15 for fitting, balancing & valve)?????

I was £15 for fitting valve and balancing. 

Fantastic bordering on Awesome, the sidewall isnt as soft despite my earlier ramble, wet grip is as usual tremendous, not driving anything as swift or sporty as the VRS but dry grip is great and they are very quite compared to the old Michelins.

I highly recommend them :) 

• Like 4

Fantastic bordering on Awesome, the sidewall isnt as soft despite my earlier ramble, wet grip is as usual tremendous, not driving anything as swift or sporty as the VRS but dry grip is great and they are very quite compared to the old Michelins.

I highly recommend them :)

Looks like these for my next rubber then

Thanks Grizzle

I've also had 4 of these on for the last 600 miles on my Fabia VRS - mine came with the '83' rated sidewalls.

In my opinion they are far superior to my previous Hankook Ventus K110.

-Wet grip awesome

-Dry grip very good (much better than the Hankook)

-Comfort on the softer sidewalls is preferable for me, I've noticed far less jarring over potholes than with the Hankook which had '87' sidewalls.

Downsides

-My mpg on my normal run to work has decreased from an indicated 54mpg to around 50mpg

-Stones seem to get stuck in the tread very easily leading to an annoying click-click-click.

So, Grizzle, £62 for the tyre, £15 for fitting, equals £77; Blackcircles have a real challenge to match that price then?

All four for £308, or my local fitting place charged £10/wheel, so £288 for a full set, sounds bloody good to me.

I've also had 4 of these on for the last 600 miles on my Fabia VRS - mine came with the '83' rated sidewalls.

In my opinion they are far superior to my previous Hankook Ventus K110.

-Wet grip awesome

-Dry grip very good (much better than the Hankook)

-Comfort on the softer sidewalls is preferable for me, I've noticed far less jarring over potholes than with the Hankook which had '87' sidewalls.

Downsides

-My mpg on my normal run to work has decreased from an indicated 54mpg to around 50mpg

-Stones seem to get stuck in the tread very easily leading to an annoying click-click-click.

Thats one thing i have noticed the stones getting stuck in the grooves :( 

So, Grizzle, £62 for the tyre, £15 for fitting, equals £77; Blackcircles have a real challenge to match that price then?

All four for £308, or my local fitting place charged £10/wheel, so £288 for a full set, sounds bloody good to me.

Exactly, it pays to shop around sometimes a local tyre place is cheaper at either supply and fit or just fitting and you supplying. 

Enjoy they are great tyres. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm interested in the Rainsport 3's too for my Octavia estate (1.9 tdi, 06 plate). Especially as they seem to be the cheapest out of my short list at £50.99 per tyre delivered from camskill. I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on how they compare to the alternatives I'm considering.

Yokohama BluEarth AE01 (£54.07 per tyre)
Dunlop Sport BluResponse (£58.80 per tyre)
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (£60.07 per tyre)

It's always a nightmare for me picking tyres because whatever I buy, I like to make sure I choose the best option and it's not like you can try before you buy.

I started out preferring the Yokohama's simply because I have a fondness for the brand. I remember having Yokohama Prada tyres on my MX5 and they were amazing. But obviously that's comparing apples and oranges and the requirements for the Octavia are completely different. I'd say my priorities are noise, comfort, wet grip, fuel efficiency.

Based purely on the ratings, the Yokohamas only better the Rainsports on noise which is important to me but then the Dunlops and the Goodyears are better still, albeit slightly more expensive.

I currently have Michelin Primacy HP's which are rated at 70dB and I wouldn't mind quieter tyres, although they are at the end of their working life and have been since I got the car so I may be judging them unfairly.

Any help most welcome! I've spent hours searching so far and would welcome personal opinion.

Thanks,
Will

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question about the directional aspect of the tyres.

Considering they're not directional, does this mean that the curved section of tread on these tyres points in opposite directions on each side of the car?

I'll be buying a set of tyres soon, and was thinking of going for some of these, but can't help but think they'll look a little odd if this is the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received my set of uni royals with the 87 rating. from camskill after a month wait 270 for all 4 inc delivery. fitting 10 to 15 quid depending where i go for fitting. Can finaly get rid of the tyre pull i have at the moment will keep you updated on the higher load rating.