Paint chipping at the roofwelding

Link to thread above is mine,

Very similar problems.

My car is also silver and by the looks of it's the sealer over the joint on yours is similar to mine, ie too much!

Contact the dealer, tell then your aren't happy and want it inspected by skoda. I refused to even let them think about repairing it as it's a brand spanking new car and also respraying that part would probably mean the whole roof and the screen would possibly have to come out too.

My dealer sent pictures to skoda (I had to call skoda and start a complaint file for the pictures to be "attached" to) and skoda sent a chap up to inspect it the other week too.

When I reported mine the paint hadn't chipped but that only took 2 days to happen, and like yours it has cracked so I expect more paint to come off in time.

So, when the new car does eventually turn up the current one might be looking like a Delorean!

That's very poor manufacturing. I would take to your dealer as soon as possible. It's not exactly the easiest of places for repair. So it will depend how long you have had the car for the route you take. If you have only just picked it up then a route of rejection is probable as painting a brand new car is not in my opinion acceptable. If you have owned the car a little while it becomes slightly more difficult justify rejection but is far from impossible. I would inspect the whole car, list any defects and go to dealer. If your happy to have the car repaired, all is fine. If you are not, then you need to decide if you wish to keep the car. Of course all this is my opinion on your dilemma. I wish you the best of luck.

Not exactly what I was expecting from a brand new car!

attachicon.gifIMAG0105.jpg

Is this just a one timer, or has it happend with other members as well?

What do I do?

Where exactly is this detail? Can you please take a picture from further away so it's more clear where this is? (or Mike999vRS since you got the same fault) Only want to know so I can check with my car when it arrives someday...

Where exactly is this detail? Can you please take a picture from further away so it's more clear where this is? (or Mike999vRS since you got the same fault) Only want to know so I can check with my car when it arrives someday...

Looking at the front of the car its the top right corner of the windscreen.

Mine is exactly the same place - photos are here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289139-its-here/

The seam at the top of the rear hatch isn't as bad and isn't chipping yet.

Basically it's the edge of the weld/seam at each corner of the front screen which is why I think it will be a total 'mare to fix properly. 

Oh I see now. Damn that really is tricky place but I think it could be repaired/repainted properly without too much trouble hopefully. So far it only seems to effect silver paint or did the same fault showed on some other color as well?

Oh I see now. Damn that really is tricky place but I think it could be repaired/repainted properly without too much trouble hopefully. So far it only seems to effect silver paint or did the same fault showed on some other color as well?

The fault is with the sealer used along the edge of the roof panel, it's just silver makes it a lot more visible, similar faults on darker colours might go unseen.

Got it. Basically that's why the paint can be so easily peeled off - it's not painted over metal but over sealer...  :S

Pretty much. It's probably why a lot of manufacturers "cheat" and cover the join with plastic trim.

That said when I went to the dealers with mine we looked over the other cars in the showroom and their demo but none of the others had problems with too much sealer.

None were silver though although I can't see what difference the colour would make unless it's a duff robot on silver duty!

• Like 1

Not liking the fact that this problem has shown up on two silver motors. That could be painful if my order turns up with the same problem. Especially as I will be collecting the car in U.K and returning to Germany. That could really ruin your day.

Ordered:

Silver Vrs Est TDI

Not liking the fact that this problem has shown up on two silver motors. That could be painful if my order turns up with the same problem. Especially as I will be collecting the car in U.K and returning to Germany. That could really ruin your day.

Ordered:

Silver Vrs Est TDI

When are you picking up mate?

Regards

Richie

Ordered:

Silver Vrs Est TDI

im picking up mine from Motorline Canterbury on Monday. if you are using them and it's in I can have a look at it for you.

God knows my build week is bouncing around like a kangaroo on steroids. Could be 2013, could be 2014.

I'm hoping for middle of December but I'm not holding my breath I could drop down dead.

Ordered from griffin, my car is merely a eight digit number at the minute so thanks for the offer.

Edited by Nipani

im picking up mine from Motorline Canterbury on Monday. if you are using them and it's in I can have a look at it for you.

I'm picking mine up from Canterbury on Tuesday, I'm getting a 'Pacific Blue' Elegance Hatch although I've loaded with it with many extras including xenon's, 18 alloys, lane assist etc. I'm getting sensible moving down from my current vrs to an elegance, as i'm buying a house soon and settling back in UK.

Enjoy your car.

Regards

Richie