How long until the 'excess condensation' threads!?

My Skoda is great compared to my old (15 plate, but now I've joined skoadlife) mk7.5 fiesta, the thing used to mist up all the time and was terrible. Good car besides that though

Looks good now replaced. Where did you find the replacement seal / cord? I though you ordered the genuine pop rivets and all arrived - get on! :D  

The diameter of the original cord was 7mm - I bought 8mm neoprene cord from Webtrading of Ebay. Removed all the old cord, filled the channel within the inner panel  with special water resistant sealent and then placed the cord on the top. As for the rivets - you were correct OEM rivets - but the diameter of the hole in the door / inner panel are approx. 9.5 - 10mm, the rivet diameter is 6.4mm and some of the rivets when squeezed have not held the inner panel securely to the door - I cam move the inner panel. The correct size rivet for that diameter hole would be 9.7mm or the hole diameter should be 6.5 - 7mm for a 6.4mm rivet. Now awaiting delivery of some 6.4mm peel rivets, these have a greater spread / contact area so they should hold the panel in place

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalogo.far.bo.it%2Fmedia%2Fwysiwyg%2FFar%2FImmagini%2FGraf.gif&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.far.bo.it%2Fen%2Fcatalog%2Fproducts%2Fblind-rivets%2Fgraf-peel-rivets.html&docid=EbaO64vlUMFFeM&tbnid=k3r7srGE9PQsuM%3A&w=335&h=239&client=firefox-b&bih=643&biw=1366&ved=0ahUKEwiV8YfBzKnNAhVHCcAKHXJHBRkQMwgjKAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Keep you all posted as to the outcome.

Paul

Edited by Flyfisherman
  • Like 1

Guys

Back door inner steel panel removed, the cord was not  broken but there was a section of the cord approx. 2"  that was not secure / glued to the inner panel.

One thing I did notice / found that when I pushed the inner panel a slight gap could be seen behind the head of the rivets - a gap that you could get your finger nail behind - so the inner panel is not as secure and it should be (in my eye's).

Anyway - the old cord has been removed, slot cleaned out ready for a new bead of sealent and fitment of a new section of cord,

If anybody wants step by step pictures to be taken, please let me know via this thread.

Paul

Guys

Quick update:

Front door fine no drops of water coming from behind the neoprene cord

Rear door fine no drops of water coming from behind the neoprene cord - but I did notice the bottom of the rear door speaker was showing signs of dampness - I think that water is dripping off the bottom of the glass onto the plastic speaker surround following the contour of the plastic and collecting in the bottom of the speaker surround.

Paul

Guys

Steady / constant rain this morning (all morning) - checked this afternoon for water leaks no leaks from behind the inner door panels, the new neoprene seals worked.

I have narrowed down the other leak onto the speaker - only happens when the door is closed - some water is passing the outer window seal / glass (which i would expect) and collecting as droplets on the bottom of this seal (within the door) these droplets are falling and hitting / collecting on a section of the rear door speaker circled in "RED" in the attached picture below.

3441ac98-e4f9-4af7-80eb-6d3077244303_zps

I'm going to attached a 2" piece of neoprene foam sheet to the speaker to act hood or deflector to stop the water dropping onto this section of the speaker and wetting the membraine.

There have been lots of reviews and not many comments passed - would like to read your thoughts

Paul

decided to remove the plastic lug - speaker back in the door, sprayed some water around the window glass and no leaks (touch wood) I just need some steady rain now to see what happens - but its looking good so far.

Paul

Update:

New thicker neoprene seal add the the rear of the speaker and a thin plastic membraine cover the whole of the back side of the speaker, the membraine was pushed into the hole for the speaker first, then the speaker and its all held in position via the four pop rivets - now the water droplets should drop onto the plastic membraine and then run off into the bottom of the door.

Due to rain all night so this is a good test - will check in the morning and report the results.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

New thicker neoprene seal add the the rear of the speaker and a thin plastic membraine cover the whole of the back side of the speaker, the membraine was pushed into the hole for the speaker first, then the speaker and its all held in position via the four pop rivets - now the water droplets should drop onto the plastic membraine and then run off into the bottom of the door.

Due to rain all night so this is a good test - will check in the morning and report the results.

Paul

Guys

I thought the above mod had worked until the other day - droplets of water coming from behind the neoprene speaker seal - so I have now attached a small sheet of plastic to the inside of the door above the speaker (this has been attached using waterproof sealent) plenty of rain this morning and its done the job, water now fall onto the sheet of plastic, runs of into the bottom of the door and exits via the door drain hole, but then I noticed some droplets coming from the black bung (access point for the dowels holding the glass to the side glass runner), this bung is plastic and is a very sloppy fit - how's a plastic bung supposed to stop water - it should have been a rubber bung.

I was under the impression that the build quality improved when Skoda went under the VAG banner - I beg to differ in my eye's the build quality is as bad as when Skoda were producing the estelle bar the issue of rust. 

Hopefully after fitting some proper rubber bungs there will be no more leaks - if it still leaks I will be trading the car in and I will never ever buy a Skoda or a VAG group car again absolutely rubbish - sorry for the rant but I have had enough of the ingress of water.

Paul

Guys

Checked the rear passenger door driver side after noticing a droplet of water - inner steel panel neoprene seal was crusty in one area, so I removed the inner panel to have a nosey and guess what I found - the most critical area of the panel there no glue holding the neoprene seal in the recess. Only one door left now or should I say right door drivers side - I'm going to remove the door card to see if I can see anything, any crusty marks - inner panels coming off.

My advise too all of you who have leaky cars - CHECK YOUR DOORS.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

I noticed some droplets coming from the black bung (access point for the dowels holding the glass to the side glass runner), this bung is plastic and is a very sloppy fit - how's a plastic bung supposed to stop water - it should have been a rubber bung.

Paul

Guys

Rubber blanking grommets fitted on the back doors - finger crossed "NO" more droplets of water entering the interior.

Paul

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I know..............................Sorry i'm dragging this up again But...............

I have exactly the same issue as our friendly fisherman regarding water sitting inside on the bottom of the inner door seals.........

My solution - rather than going to all that palava of trying to stop the water getting in, just make sure it can get out.

I have trapped two small pieces of oval twin core cable (cos this is the most suitable shape) vertically in between the plastic door card and the door metal at the bottom. Long enough to just miss the sill once closed. 

The purpose of this is for these to push against the inner rubber door seal once the door is closed, and this leaves tiny gaps at the sides of the pieces of cable which allows the otherwise trapped water, to flow down through these tiny gaps and out, rather than into the car.

A massive improvement and no damp feeling in the car when i get in now either. Had to do this on two doors.

I am also going to look into putting extra drain holes in the underside bottom of the door as these only seem to drain once the door is opened. It may be a 'level' thing............

Hope this helps.

As I had to clear the drain holes in the doors of my Mk 1 Octy, I just checked my present car to see if the doors have drain holes.

There is one near the rear of each front door and two in each rear door. As I opened the drivers' side rear door quite quickly, a spurt of water came out of the front most drain hole onto the sill. I guess mine are ok.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, sandspider said:

as though there's water or water vapour collecting in the doors?

There probably will be...........do you not get trickle of water from the bottom of the door when you open it?........I know I do on mine.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Good question. Inside I think, but could actually be a bit on the outside too.

When you drop the window, both the inside and outside of it are exposed but the water is probably off of the seal i would think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Resurrecting this old thread again, but does anyone else notice that the front windows get damp when put down then raised again, as though there's water or water vapour collecting in the doors?

The windows are in the unsealed part of the door so there will be condensation in that space. Check that the water drain holes in the bottom of the door are not blocked.

• Like 1

I do get a trickle of water when I open the doors, but I thought that was sitting on the rubber seal, not inside the door...?

1 minute ago, pikpilot said:

The windows are in the unsealed part of the door so there will be condensation in that space. Check that the water drain holes in the bottom of the door are not blocked.

Will do, thanks.

• 1 year later...