How long until the 'excess condensation' threads!?

After problems with fogged up windows last winter I bought a "minky" moisture trap from Asda for a fiver ,

it is the perfect size to fit the bottle holder in the door pocket and has completely cured the mist problem in my 09 estate.

No more waiting for the heater in the mornings.

Just had a look for one of these - did you get the 75g one or the 200g one?

• Like 1

I just bought a 450 gram moisture trap with one refill package for ~£3 and the thing works great.

No condensation on the edges of the rear window anymore.

I had always thought that placing one in the car would be the same as putting it outside, since a car is not airtight.

Moisture in air can also be expressed as the partial gas pressure of water vapour, and as all other pressures it seeks to equalize, so high pressure goes to low pressure.

Where moisture condensates, there's low pressure, so the cold surface of the near horizontal rear window radiating its heat to the cold (-20 deg C) clear sky attracts the moisture.

However, when we put in a hygrofile moisture trap, its partial pressure towards water vapour is lower than the windows', so the moisture goes to the trap.

• Like 1

I got the 75mg one which comes with just one tablet (Asda £4.95), so far it's still working and I recon it may only

have captured half a cup of water but it seems that's enough to make a big difference.

Last year condensation was a pain but not any more.

• Like 3

Just had a look for one of these - did you get the 75g one or the 200g one?

I did a bit of looking and the 200g one is huge, no way it will fit in the bottle holder in the door pocket.

As a result I just bought one of these (75g) off eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141849631183

• Like 1

Guy's

after reading all the posts regarding how you have over come or re-active to the build up of condensation - nobody has look pro-activitly into the reason why this happens.

I have fitted Canbus LED side lights - since fitting them my headlights have fogged up and a bulid up of condensation on the inside of the lens, this only happens after a period of time once the lights have been switched off. So thinking cap on - due to the electrical components within the LED bulb generate heat which in turn heats up the inside of the headlight unit, this heat cannot escape quickly enough when the side light is switched off (there are vents on the rear of the headlight - but they are not good enough) so on one side of the headlight plastic is warm on the other side of the plastic its cold and condensation will form  and inturn this will turn to water - I have removed the rubber access cap on the main beam and the build up of condensation has gone.

As for the interior of the car - the same thing happen to house holds who have not got double glazed windows - one side of the glass is cold (outside) the other side is warm (inside) and condensation forms on the inside of the glass. I believe is all down to the lack of air circulation when the car is not in use. I have heard a noise coming from behind the back of the dash when the car is turned off - this must be a flap preventing air entering the car, same as switching the air recirculation on - I believe that this is the cause of all our problems.

Paul

At least I know it's not just my car now after reading this. A bit disappointed that it is misting up in the first place. Like Marnit I've not had a car mist up on me since my 1992 Mazda 6 and that was rarity amongst cars even then. 

I've just got one of those duhumifier bags from Halfords today and currently sat on the parcel shelf so I'll let you know how I get on.

I have been using one of these too for a few weeks having also experienced totally fogged windscreen. Last year it was actually frozen on the inside a few times!!

The ice fresh smells ok too.

Got to say though, as well as having the bag located on the stowage box on top of the dash, I also close all the vents before leaving the car overnight, as leaving them open may only draw in more moisture quicker.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas!!!

I did a bit of looking and the 200g one is huge, no way it will fit in the bottle holder in the door pocket.

It arrived!

It fits perfectly into the drinks / bottle holder on the MkII Octavia's front door pockets, it was almost as if they were designed specifically for the Octavia!

It arrived!

It fits perfectly into the drinks / bottle holder on the MkII Octavia's front door pockets, it was almost as if they were designed specifically for the Octavia!

Mine arrived the other day........i wasnt sure where i was going to put it.....now i do....thanks!  :D  :thumbup:

• Like 1

At least I know it's not just my car now after reading this. A bit disappointed that it is misting up in the first place. Like Marnit I've not had a car mist up on me since my 1992 Mazda 6 and that was rarity amongst cars even then. 

I've just got one of those duhumifier bags from Halfords today and currently sat on the parcel shelf so I'll let you know how I get on.

Glad to report my car has been condensation free since buying this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, can't say I'm overly impressed with the Minky, the tablet is slowly dissolving but it isn't collecting much moisture and the misting of the windscreen is still present.

After some more online research these get very good reviews. I'm hoping the dehumidifier bags are the way to go, just buy decent ones.

£13.80 for 2x 1kg bags...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271771237?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use this. Once full, stick in the microwave for a few minutes, and away you go.

They are available at ASDA.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pingi-PD-A300P6-UK-Reusable-Car-Dehumidifier/dp/B00I3VKBJS

I did look at the Pingi ones, they look pretty good quality.

The only thing that put me off was their weight, at 340g I wasn't sure if they'd fill up pretty quick, hence why I went for the 1000g ones.

Either way I'm pretty sure they all do the same thing!

Well, can't say I'm overly impressed with the Minky, the tablet is slowly dissolving but it isn't collecting much moisture and the misting of the windscreen is still present.

After some more online research these get very good reviews. I'm hoping the dehumidifier bags are the way to go, just buy decent ones.

£13.80 for 2x 1kg bags...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271771237?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mine seems to be working ok as ive had no moisture problems since i put it in the car,i looked at it today & there was a bit of water in the bottom of the pot. Off topic but are you aware that the road we travel down from the Crake turn off  all the way to Easingwold will be closed from the 2nd of feb until the 5th for repairs to be carried out. 

It took me two or three days to read the signs, one word per day, couldn't slow down enough as there were always cars up my chuff  :D

This time two years ago that drain collapsed, 12 months it took them to repair it. One flood later it has collapsed again.

Hopefully a five day closure will involve a full five days of graft to repair it properly, rather than fours days of nothing like last time!

I guess we'll have to use Carr Lane instead, even worse for potholes. I just know I'll forget until I reach the closure and have to turn around! 

Condensation currently really bad.

Passat, Octavia and Fabia all sat on the drive. Just been out to the cars. The windows are clear on the Passat and Fabia and already the Octavia's windows are completely misted up.

Some design issue somewhere.

Lee

• Like 1

Cat litter in an old sock. Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried this, hung off the hook on the parcel shelf (so it hangs in the boot space), no more misty rear window.

Another installation in the other half's car has cleared that one too, following a spillage.

In summary, works a treat!

Edited by nickgpfc