Sassy the Yeti

PetrolBlue

After nearly four weeks (all <10 mile journeys!) – some off the wall comments having moved from an eight year old Passat 1.9 105 manual TDi to the 140 DSG Elegance Yeti in late September.

Enthusiasms:

Terrific driving position and all-round visibility

The 140 DSG is much nippier that I’d expected…….. MUCH!

Turning circle – quite a bit smaller than I’d expected: much smaller than my old Passat, which is very useful the built up areas I tend to motor most in

The well under the flap beneath the o/s hooks in the boot despite the spare wheel

The speed with which Bluetooth connects to my mobile when I get in

The whole Briskoda experience! Just been so helpfully brilliant: thank you

Reservations:

Bluetooth designed not to connect whilst on the move

Not as much space for the rear-seat passengers as I’d expected, particularly behind my tall (and relatively well built!) self

Difficulties:

Getting my Dealer to sort the coding changes I had requested ahead of delivery (Comfort turn signals to five, tear-drop wipe front and back – only the last has been achieved to date). Having seen the replies they got back from SUK when asking, I know they’ve tried, and have promised to try again – very frustrating

Must get to grips with this climate control thing! Not intuitive to a novice

Regrets:

None whatsoever, but if I move onto another Yeti in three years’ time, I’ll probably have the electric seats so SWMBO and I aren’t constantly fiddling to get the driving position after each time the other has driven.

Off down to Dorset, Somerset and Devon in a couple of days – the first stretch for the monster!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After about 2k miles in nearly four months (I know, wrong engine for that sort of mileage – but it is what I wanted; mainly local miles, but with a trip to Dorset) some witterings:

Delighted with it!! Absolutely delighted. Love the car, love the handling, love it all! Mpg running at 33.17: probably would have done better if the car wasn’t so much fun to drive!

Most pleased with: DSG is really great, very quick and smooth changes, and very responsive when the hand is used on the joy-stick. The driving stance, once the left foot goes down on the footrest…. it’s like planting a root into the road! Performance is swiftly brilliant when asked to be :devil: . Oh, and the little parking ticket holder on the inside of the ‘screen – lovely touch which must cost pennies to put in. I find the leather upholstery is very supportive and comfortable indeed, and the heated front passenger seat has been given maximum points by SWMBO (we might become a two-Yeti household yet!). Heated front screen has seen little use for de-frosting, but is doesn’t half clear the screen of any internal misting rapidly. Back seats down for the Christmas tree was so easy to do, and I was surprised what a huge difference it made to the cargo space – chunky rear seats!

Less pleased with: my dealer’s inability to sort a ‘five x comfort blink’ for me (“it cannot be done”): Briskoda suggested it could, and kudos to m0bov for sorting it in minutes for me. The much loved hooks in the boot are pretty much useless with a spare on board – the raised floor prevents the bag handles from remaining on them.

Things I’d do differently: I’d probably have the electric front seat and all that goes with it to sort me out quickly after she's driven it.

Things to be wary of: parking sensors (as Johann has had cause to comment on elsewhere here). Parking sensors are wonderful, and something I got used to very quickly….. but reversing the wife’s Zafira (which doesn’t have them) whilst listening for the bleeps was a recipe for disaster, fortunately avoided :whew: !

PB

PS: been watching the ‘VRS…. Fools’ topic on the Octavia section. Probably some truth in what was originally said. My Monster doesn’t ever incur such stuff, but, because it is so unexpected, but it certainly causes a little ‘frustration behind’ sometimes once off the grid at the lights quickly…. especially if I’ve got my ‘retired-person’s hat’ on :giggle: !

• Like 3

Re. the hooks in the boot. The bags will stay put if you swivel/turn the hook/holder up the way on the rail after attaching the bags.

I hang my Crocks over the hooks, so when I take the dogs out in muddy fields they are handy to put on and take off without scruffying shoes and putting mud in the car mats

Will have to have a play with those hooks! Would love to find they can be more useful than I've found them. Thanks for the thought, Marie.

I forget to mention another seriously likable facet of the Yeti, and that's it's relatively tiny turning circle. Not quite up to the London taxi's 25ft, but must be close!! Ideal for us townies!

PB

• Like 1

Bluetooth designed not to connect whilst on the move

Agree with all you say there. Though I don't agree with this statement above. Once on the move and assuming your phone's Bluetooth is on, you just press the phone button on your steering wheel and then Connect with the scroll wheel. Job done with eyes closed even and as easy eyes open when driving. :happy:

Agree with all you say there. Though I don't agree with this statement above. Once on the move and assuming your phone's Bluetooth is on, you just press the phone button on your steering wheel and then Connect with the scroll wheel. Job done with eyes closed even and as easy eyes open when driving. :happy:

Johann's advise is spot on, but I have found with my Samsung S3 it has connected automatically first and every time. 

• Like 1

I wrote that fairly soon after I'd first had the car, Johann - perhaps I turned the Bluetooth on the 'phone on whilst I was on the move (!), and then tried to connect it from the steering wheel. Whatever I did, Maxidot certainly told me I couldn't connect whilst I was on the move! Like Jonceebee, my Samsung connects automatically as soon as I get in.... provided Bluetooth on the 'phone is on!

I wrote that fairly soon after I'd first had the car, Johann - perhaps I turned the Bluetooth on the 'phone on whilst I was on the move (!), and then tried to connect it from the steering wheel. Whatever I did, Maxidot certainly told me I couldn't connect whilst I was on the move! Like Jonceebee, my Samsung connects automatically as soon as I get in.... provided Bluetooth on the 'phone is on!

Likewise with my iPhone 5S. But sometimes I forget to switch the phone's Bluetooth on and only realise once on the way. I then hold the home button on phone and I tell Siri to switch Bluetooth on which it then does - so no looking at phone or faffing with phone buttons. Then Phone button on steering wheel and Connect. Job done. :happy:

+1 Johann. Except I don't have to touch the steering wheel button, the conection just "happens". In't Siri brilliant?

As I said mine is automatic too. Doh. You only do it manually if you want to connect AFTER you have driven a bit. :happy:

• Like 1

As I said mine is automatic too. Doh. You only do it manually if you want to connect AFTER you have driven a bit. :happy:

Johann, I am not up to speed with all the latest phone technology, but my archaic (non Smart Phone) Nokia connects automatically as soon as I get in. I always have the Bluetooth function switched on (in Hidden mode). Is this something that I should not be doing, or is it that you and others leave the Bluetooth function off occasionally?

Your advise much appreciated.

Thanks.

Johann, I am not up to speed with all the latest phone technology, but my archaic (non Smart Phone) Nokia connects automatically as soon as I get in. I always have the Bluetooth function switched on (in Hidden mode). Is this something that I should not be doing, or is it that you and others leave the Bluetooth function off occasionally?

Your advise much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have an Apple iPhone. So it has enough battery juice to to power a small child's toy car for about 12,5 minutes. So leaving the Bluetooth on will decrease that to about 9,7 minutes... And I might have just needed those few minutes to read something on Briskoda or use the flashlight in my phone to read my gas meter. Thus, Bluetooth is toggled to only be on when needed. :happy:

Oh the days when I had had a Nokia Brickphone too with real BUTTONS all over the front and a Brickbattery that lasted me a week... Sigh.

• Like 2

I have an Apple iPhone. So it has enough battery juice to to power a small child's toy car for about 12,5 minutes. So leaving the Bluetooth on will decrease that to about 9,7 minutes... And I might have just needed those few minutes to read something on Briskoda or use the flashlight in my phone to read my gas meter. Thus, Bluetooth is toggled to only be on when needed. :happy:

Oh the days when I had had a Nokia Brickphone too with real BUTTONS all over the front and a Brickbattery that lasted me a week... Sigh.

Thanks Johann - that explains things a lot clearer.

I did not realise though, that having the Bluetooth on all the time reduced the battery - never too old to learn something new. 

I did try a Nokia Smart phone, but could not get on with the touch screen Qwerty keyboard, preferring the old style T9 key format, so re-commissioned the old trusty Nokia.

Thanks Johann - that explains things a lot clearer.

I did not realise though, that having the Bluetooth on all the time reduced the battery - never too old to learn something new. 

I did try a Nokia Smart phone, but could not get on with the touch screen Qwerty keyboard, preferring the old style T9 key format, so re-commissioned the old trusty Nokia.

I might just be a bit melodramatic of course.  :happy:  Bluetooth probably only uses a negligible amount of battery power to be honest, but as Tesco says: every little helps (especially on an iPhone).

• Like 2