1.2 tsi sounds like a steam engine

Andy P

I was driving back to mansfield from nottingham today and was driven mad by a sound resonating in the car which I can only describe as sounding like a steam engine chugging. The thing is it seems to almost disappear when I lift off the throttle. The engine itself runs well apart from occasional rough starts. The car is 4 yrs old and I've only owned it less than a year. I don't know what my options are as I'm sure I'll get nowhere with my local dealer. Does anyone have any similar experiences ? My concern is that further down the line I have a major, costly engine issue.

Actually you have 2 dealers to try

1. Rainworth Motors in Mansfield and I have always found them to be fair and reasonably priced,

2. Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield - again they have always treated me fairly. 

If you live in Mansfield then Rainworth are the obvious first point of call.

I'm not really very technical so may be well of the track here, but the car is four years old and there have been several threads on this forum about the no.1 HT lead being unprotected but very close to the manifold(?) and melting the insulation causing a short. The cure is a new HT lead with a protective shroud. It's possible that yours hasn't got the modification becasue the problem hasn't arisen until now. Might be worth a quick look under the bonnet to see if all the HT leads look the same or whether one is different, or whether in fact there is sign of burning/melting.

I'm probably wrong but hopefully some of the more technically minded members might come back to you with their thoughts (and what chance you may have of getting the problem fixed with either a goodwill gesture or even as an inherent fault).

Hi Paul52. The HT lead issue has already arisen a few months ago and lead 1 was replaced with a new one with a protective cover. It's so hard to explain the noise as it's very subtle. My car is due for a service soon so I might bring it forward and ask the dealer to test drive and see what they think.

I  had a problem with HT lead 1 (went into limp mode and sounded rough).

No sign of any melting of lead. I believe lead 3 is more prone to melting so look at that. Again sits about 1cm from the hot manifold. My 2010 1.2tsi had no protective cover and the replaced one is a bare

unprotected lead.

Shame Skoda can't engineer a reliable design for such a basic issue.

Mine likely to re-occur as replacement also not protected (from Skoda dealer).

Will probably replace them all when available with protection.

Edited by kibby

Actually you have 2 dealers to try

1. Rainworth Motors in Mansfield and I have always found them to be fair and reasonably priced,

2. Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield - again they have always treated me fairly. 

If you live in Mansfield then Rainworth are the obvious first point of call.

and Sandicliffe at Daybrook....used to be Farmer's

Personally I use Rainworth though

BTW I live at Ravenshead not far from your A60 route....I didn't here any untoward noises though! Hope you soon get it fixed