Engine splutter and ECU light flashing :(

2005 Skoda Octavia vrs.

aftermarket parts:

air intake: its filthy and im replacing it next week with the standard box and air filter to see if this fixes the problem.

exhaust: aftermarket cat back

problem: when accelerating hard the engine splutters and creates a jerking motion and loss of smooth power delivery, subsequently the ECU light comes up flashing for about 10 seconds then goes away.

I have tried to replicate the problem whilst having my code reader hooked up to no avail due to no code being picked up.

my code reader has served me well in the past on this and other cars so I do not think it's at fault.

does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Sounds kinda coil packish too me.

Does it seem ok if you're not spanking it ?

I have had coilpack issues in the past which light up the ECU and produce a misfire code. the engine was very rough when driving normally when this happened.

I shall replace the coil packs however when I last replaced a coil pack with a new bosh one from eurocarparts the ECU kept saying misfire on that cylinder so i just put the old one back in instead. Guess it was just a faulty coilpack but its still offputting.

Need to check with skoda you might be able to get a full new set of coil packs for FREE

Dropped into skoda sheffield today, lo and bebold talked to them for a few mins about coilpacks and no talk of the recall off the sales guy but after I asked about it they booked my car in for thurs to get them fitted :D

also bought a standard airbox and filter, going to clean the mass air lifter too just incase. have no idea how to fit it sadly so going to google that now lol

thanks all 

Edited by Stormspire_1991

You could be hitting fuel cut? Overboost problems on turbo cars have a safe guard that cuts the fuel if the boost gets too much to save the engine. It feels like hitting a brick wall at full boost. Maybe the filthy filter is causing boost creep....?

You could be hitting fuel cut? Overboost problems on turbo cars have a safe guard that cuts the fuel if the boost gets too much to save the engine. It feels like hitting a brick wall at full boost. Maybe the filthy filter is causing boost creep....?

Did not think of this thanks, I have replaced the filter with the standard air box and standard paper air filter. the previous owner supposedly had it remapped to 225 BHP but have had no dyno readings or receipt from tuning company to support this so find it hard to believe. could be possible that the remap (if any) is causing boost issues perhaps.

Update: Took car to my local garage with a more sophisticated fault reader which found the code:17608(Boost Pressure Control Valve) N249 when revving the engine upto boost range.

I have purchased a second hand N249 hoping this will fix the problem but have not fitted yet.

is there any point in purchasing any of the following to preemptively avoid pipes splitting whilst im replacing this valve?

SILCONE CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSEhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-VRS-1-8T-20V-180-BHP-SILCONE-CRANKCASE-BREATHER-HOSE-AUM-AUQ-/160808939469?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2570f5afcd

-2 PIECE KIT SILICONE N75 BOOST HOSE KIThttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150792939762?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-LOWER BREATHER PIPEhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160983906324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks