Winter Jackets - discuss

Aspman

Need a new winter jacket.

My trusty North Face is leaking in one arm and is getting pretty worn anyway.

This jacket will be for mainly standing around at -10C in the p^ssing rain/sleet/snow waiting on the bus. Or the 10min walk at to/from work in similar conditions.

However despite my lack of going-up-mountainness I've found decent mountain clobber works better and lasts longer.

I'd have gone for another North Face or Berghaus but I'm led to believe they're not the brands they were. Certainly I'm pretty disappointed with the Berghaus shoes I bought recently.

Looked at Rab but all their winter gear seems to be on the Michelin Man theme.

Not sure what else is decent these days.

Budget is reasonable I think; I'll spend over £200 if it's worth it.

Must be wind and waterproof and good for -10C with a work shirt underneath.

I await your wisdom :ph34r:

Edited by Aspman

-10!?

You need a heated jacket. This one from DEWALT uses a rechargeable power tool battery.

Toasty!

http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categories/cordless-work-gear-heated-jackets.aspx

Seriously though, anything with Gore-Tex is a good (but likely expensive) jacket. Work provided me with one of these and I rate it very well...

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/clothing/jackets/detail/DWC4-001/

Edited by silver1011

It was -9C down to -17C during the bad winters a few ago. Even with the layed NF I was still freezing my nuts off.

Gore is fine if it comes with a liner. I liked the NF I have becuase the fleece zips into it so no farting around with two seperate layers.

Looking at Barbour too but not sure if they're style over substance now too.

I think it's a triclimate I've got. Just fancy a change too. I've hardly been out of the thing in 5yr.

Might have gone for a McMurdo parka but the hood gets slated.

Edited by Aspman

If you want to get ahead get a hat!  was one of my fathers sayings.

I always overheat in a hat.

& nearly always overheat in warm coats as well,

so always try to use layers & waterproofs & Windproofs, even in the coldest weather, and non bulky.

No point climbing into a car wearing wet outer clothes, and no point taking off a cozy coat and being underdressed IMO

I Like Helly Hanson & Gill stuff, Sailing rather than Climbing Clothing for Scottish Weather.

I have lots of my Old Cordura Jackets Gortex from Berghaus & Pheonix  Ski Jackets from years past and Belstaff a Barbour

from Bikes and shooting,

yet more often now i pull on a comfy jacket from Trespass, 

Pockets and zips in all the right places, Water, Windproof and as warm as you want to buy.

Not the Brand Image, but they do the job well.

Made in Scotland for Scottish weather, and types to suit all conditions.

http://www.trespass.co.uk/p/334/about-us

http://www.trespass.co.uk

george

What about cold weather military surplus? Just as an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swedish-Army-Surplus-Cold-Weather-Parka-Jacket-Coat-with-Fleece-Liner-Military-/261300502442?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item3cd6b93faa

I had a similar canvas one about 25 years ago.  It stood up on its own and was sheep's wool lined.  When snowed in, I walked 1/2 mile to the local pub, but only made it about 200yds before I took it off and carried it the rest of the way coz I was overheating (yes, I'm a soft southern jessie and it was only -9c).

Have to say I do like layering under my NF.

Gaz

Have a good hat, and several pairs of decent gloves. Still got some thatch on top but it is going.

-8C is fine in still weather but invariably it comes with horizontal snow. Not the nice big fluffy stuff either but the rock hard little stinging ****e.

Tresspass stuff is ok, not knocking it but you get what you pay for.

Rab as mentioned is all ribbed down stuff (other than the shells) and if you're not tall and skinny (and I ain't) the Michelin Man analagy is rather strong.

Edited by Aspman

The new hydrophobic down jackets are the best warmth:weight ration going and pretty water proof (but not totally).

What ever jacket you get you'll want a wind proof outer layer otherwise it's pointless.

Haglofs, Rab, Mountain Equipment all make excellent stuff designed to withstand a lot of abuse and foul weather.

Paramo are very good but do not fit the typical 'waterproof' or 'insulating' that is accepted as standard. Their Torres jacket is a lot better than you'd think...

Don't dismiss Hi Gear, Sprayway, North Ridge or Regatta as their products are almost as good for a lot less money. If all you are doing is 'standing around' you'll not need the technical cut or features of the more expensive jackets.

If you are 'standing around' your body will not be generating much of its own heat and an insulating jacket will work like a thermos flask: it keeps hit things hot but also keeps cold things cold.

If you want specific recommendations, just ask.

If you want specific recommendations, just ask.

Happy to get recommendations :thumbup:

Standing around is the issue. I've been hilwalking in deep winter, wading through 3' of snow in -5C and ended up in a Tee-shirt complaining I was too hot.

Hanging around for 30min waiting on a late bus at a windy 0C is much colder.

Edited by Aspman

My vehicles and rooms overflow in Jackets, i forgot all the Polaris stuff and Buffalo that will never fit ever again.

The Buffalo stuff was never worn, it cooked me, but i wanted to be able to fasten a jacket under my crutch.

i even have North Cape jackets from the first years of fleece.

Also the Free Clothing as handed out at the Arderiser Yard, Blue Fleece with Red Web Edging..

I keep everything incase of WW3 and the need to survive without shopping.

george

I used to buy the best, and then buy a second one in a different colour incase i could never get them again,

as happened with Berghaus when they started making Crap fashion based clothes for a few years,

as did North Face, Mountain Equipment etc.

Then  i would buy more.

So now i own the Original Classics, mostly worn a couple of times & looked at and tried on occasionally,

(reminds me of 5 stone ago, and how big, XL, & 2 XL was, and how 3 XL is wide but never made long.)

from before the days that Kays, Littlewoods etc started selling them on the drip

for Casuals etc.

george

A can of waterproofing spray will keep your old coat going while you try out new ones.

A decent hat is a must, you lose so much heat through your head - it is almost unbelievable.

PS, - 8C is "T" shirt weather!!! (Unless it is also wet or windy).

+1 what GG said............

It's not cold unless there's SIX inches of ice on the ground, ya big wimp.   :D

Usually fine when there is 6 inches of ice on the ground.

Even -25*oC can be fine in Dry calm air.

Damn cold right to the bone today at 3*oC,  damp and windy.

Heated seats are order of the day from now on, my back is killing me from this morning.

Age catches up.

george

Having spent a lot of days standing around outside in the middle of winter watching people dig holes it's not just having a decent jacket, it's having decent covering on your legs as well.  Problem is that as soon as you start doing any work or go inside you boil.

I have some thermal leggings which are great.

Not entirely on topic, but I had a Nike jacket that was of the michelin man style. I have a picture of me wearing it that was developed in 2002 when I was 6 and i got rid of it in 2012, the arms were half held on with staples and some of the feathers were falling out but it was still good all be it a little small, it was bought when it was too big for me and it just became my favourite coat from then really. great coat I've had 3 coats since getting rid of that one and that's only a fifth of the time, and they wouldn't keep together with staples if you tried. The quality of things nowadays is just terrible.

• Like 1