Winter Jackets - discuss

Aspman

I work outdoors all winter, often at heights in exposed conditions and for up to 14 hours a day. I swear by North Face McMurdo Parkers, even though they make me look like a refuge from ice station zebra (although a lot more attractive obviously). Luckily for me, I'm quite tall so I can buy this as a mans coat (not sure they even do one for women?) and as I am reasonably slim, I can put a few extra layers on underneath if the temperature is well below freezing and the wind is howling.

On the down side they don't do as many pockets in them as they did. But the coat is incredibly strong and tear resistant and I find they last for several years at a time :)

Oh and North Face zips are the correct way round on mens coats for some strange (American) reson  :D :D :D

I should add that a large part of my job is being pretty stationary (standing around  :D) and with no place to hide from the weather this coat is literally a life saver. The only downside is once I start to walk about, climb ladders./stairs and carry stuff about, it gets incredibly warm

Edited by Lady Elanore

On this subject if anyone wants a Montane extreme smock (unused) £50 plus postage then give me a shout, oh a a pair of buffalo alpine salopettes (worn twice) £50 :) May as well keep some warm and toasty this year rather than sat in my cupboard :)

Kit :)

I have Rohan gear myself - I usually layer it - have a reversible fleece type jacket (which is shower and wind proof) and then a wind/rain proof on top, I usually size my wind/water proof gear so that I can wear a fleece under it or wear it over a suit if I am going on site and it is wet / snowing.

Also have some of their Technical T-Shirts which are really easy to wash/dry and don't need ironing.

In the winter I leave in the car, a Trespass Skiing jacket that I bough cheap in a sale a few years ago - I'm also one for layers rather than rely on one jacket as you can adjust according to the temp / exercise level you are doing.

Paul

I think Lady Elenore might like these -

http://www.canada-goose.com/women/

I wasn't going to stretch to £500 for a jacket or I'd have got one (a blokes one :think: ).

I like the Resolute :) It looks super hard wearing and has lots of pockets (A must, in my job) and I can look like a proper Ice Station Zebra type :D)

I have Rohan gear myself - I usually layer it - have a reversible fleece type jacket (which is shower and wind proof) and then a wind/rain proof on top, I usually size my wind/water proof gear so that I can wear a fleece under it or wear it over a suit if I am going on site and it is wet / snowing.

Also have some of their Technical T-Shirts which are really easy to wash/dry and don't need ironing.

In the winter I leave in the car, a Trespass Skiing jacket that I bough cheap in a sale a few years ago - I'm also one for layers rather than rely on one jacket as you can adjust according to the temp / exercise level you are doing.

Paul

I like to wear layers when I'm walking, but if you are working, there isn't the time or space to keep adjusting layers. So I work on the 'it's better to be hot than cold' when moving about and when I'm stationary, I might just be warm enough to stop shivering :)

Used to own my own outdoor shop.....................TNF and Rab, and Pinewood..................from the sounds of it you need a jacket with a good thick waterproof outer in a long (parka) cut, with a good insulation (down).......................TNF McMurdo parka..........sold them to TV cameramen who do football matches..................in winter up here! Rab do an EVENT fabric equivalent but it is shorter at the front.

Used to own my own outdoor shop.....................TNF and Rab, and Pinewood..................from the sounds of it you need a jacket with a good thick waterproof outer in a long (parka) cut, with a good insulation (down).......................TNF McMurdo parka..........sold them to TV cameramen who do football matches..................in winter up here! Rab do an EVENT fabric equivalent but it is shorter at the front.

I'm an OB TV Sound Engineer and the bulk of my work is Football and outdoor sports. That's exactly why the McMurdo is still the best for me and most of my colleagues :) Although a lot of cameramen are posers and go for posh skiing brands these days :D Looking about. the only thing that looks to be as rugged and yet still warm is the new Berghaus Hydrodown Parka, but as yet I don't know anyone who has used one and besides, it doesn't look to have as many pockets (Mind you each generation of McMurdo has a pocket less than it's previous incarnation :(

Went and did some jacket test drives today.

Tried a Barbour, I did like it and it wasn't even smelly but...

Who are these wee boys everything is made for now? Never mind me beer gut is every bloke a narrow shouldered starvlings with short arms like pipe cleaners. Serious the wife would struggle to get in it and she's at 10. I admit I've the phenotype of a lardy Italian, short legs, long arms and wide shoulders.

Anyway onto the climbing shop.

Tried on a puffy down jacket. I was overheating in 5 seconds.

So for all my desire to change the 3-1 jackets do seem to hit the sweet spot. There was a nice Berghaus with their AQ2 waterproofing that was on offer for £145 or their Gore version which was £230 and not on offer.

I doubt the Gore is £100 better day to day. Going to have a quick hunt around but I suspect the Berghaus RG Delta might be a winner.

I also have a couple of Berghaus coats and a few liners and bodywarmers from them. One of my shell coats broke it's zip, so I took it back to the Berghaus shop in the Metro Centre (Gateshead), they sent it off to be repaired by Berghaus and 10 days later I had a good as new jacket free of charge. Great after sales service as the coat was 2 or 3 years old.

With regard to the OPs query about build quality, I think that North Face may be going through a slight dip in it's quality (the McMurdos do seem a little less rugged than they used to, for certain) but Berghaus seem to have stayed constant. I have used one of their (rather expensive :( ) Extreme Pro-shells for the last 2 years and it has had a hammering. I keep expecting to rip it when it catches on things at work and that includes the ends of badly cut scaffolding that hasn't been capped. So far though it hasn't got a mark on it. Exceptionally tough for a shell that is so light.

You could try TKmax, i bought my Berghaus "big wall" insulated jacket there for £80 last year :) I also bought my Haglofs goretex sallopetes there for £50, massive savings on both items :)

Kit :)

Montane Extreme Smocks are well worth a look, even at full retail price (£120 ish I think). I managed to get one for £75 delivered. They're awesome. Always have it in the boot in winter months.

I have brand new one going for £50, but i prefer the Buffalo ones, much better fit and after sales service second to none, i've had mine over 20 years and even on the most frozen of climbs thats all i wear, straight onto the skin :)

Ive had a North Face McMurdo for about 4 years now. 500 fill down and soooooooooo warm. Ive been out walking the dog in -6 at night in this with only a T-shirt underneath. RRP is £260 ish for the current seasons colours but I bough the previous years style for £150 at a cotsworld outdoor rockbottom shop in Wales (they are online too).

Its kind of an investment as they seem to be going up in price!

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-mens-mcmurdo-parka-jacket-1b120046?id_colour=94&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Cotswold%20Outdoor-UK-P-Exa-Eng-SE-The%20North%20Face-_-The%20North%20Face-_-Google&_$ja=kw:north+face+mcmurdo|cgn:North+Face+Mcmurdo|cgid:2654639332|tsid:36976|cn:Cotswold+Outdoor-UK-P-Exa-Eng-SE-The+North+Face|cid:70529812|lid:39661010|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:23966051212|dvc:c|adp:1t2&gclid=CPexs97j0LoCFQjKtAod1C4A7Q

But are still £250 here

http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/7920/products/the_north_face_mcmurdo_parka_mens_jacket.aspx

After starting to cook in the down jacket in about 5 seconds I was put off the McMurdo since it's even warmer in theory. Shop person was quite good ans said they didn't sell many because they were just so warm, too warm unless you're sat in Siberia.

I'm not keen on smocks, I like a nice big zip.

Not sure the Berghaus you're seeing for £80 is the same thing. I think that's a single layer within the same range.

the only other thing I liked was a very expensive Berghaus technical gore shell (£200) and thought about getting a cheaper fleece to go under it. It did feel very well made but was a bit bright. ther was a Haglof that wasnt bad too but couldn't see a price for it ( it was hidden between teh Berghaus stuff).

Edited by Aspman

If you stand still for long periods in winter, the McMurdo will be fine and definitely not too hot. At work I am stationary for up to 3 hours in one single afternoon/evening session on average and at height, in a very exposed area. I am not able to move about and therefore generate any heat. The McMurdo is superb for this. 

I've got a McMurdo, great for standing around in and hopeless if you want to walk anywhere in n ambient temp of anything above -2C

Far too big for me, must try and sell it this year and get a smaller one.

Ha still looking around, I'll probably say that for a while yet.

I don't get much time to go round and try things.

I was back looking at the Keela Munro but there aren't many stockists. Amazon does them for £120 but most of the stuff is out of stock. L is only in mouldy green or plain black. Would probably have gone for a red one if was in.

Going to the shops this weekend so I might have a trawl in TKMAxx to, since they something have the odd Gore.