Yeti Tyres

octavia55

Do I quality as an expert? Maybe not but certainly experienced.

Joined HM forces in 1972 I have driven in minus 40 and plus 50 deg C. I have driven 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 and various tracked vehicles through snow, sand, mud, and rocky terrain. I have driven up and down mountain tacks, crossed flooded rivers and taken land rovers through jungle terrain. I have recovered all sorts of vehicles that have been crashed, sunk, blown up shot to bits. I have been winched by helicopter into jungle area's to recover stranded vehicles with just a tool box and spare parts. In civilian life I have driven and owned all types of Land rover the oldest was a 1954 series 1 Land rover and owned up to 4 at any one time

I gave up with Discovery's and Range rovers in 1998 as I got fed up with the lack of reliability and moved to Toyota and have had Land cruisers, Colorado's and Surfs. My son and I also regularly 'offroaded' Suzuki Sj's I bought him one for his 15th birthday 10 years ago. We could go with the sj's where Landrovers and larger 4x4 got stuck. We have rolled, flipped, crashed, broken chassis and smashed most bits of the sj's while having fun off road. 

Heading towards retirement, I, by choice sold my last Toyota 4x4 three years ago and bought a motorhome as our third vehicle. With the last winters being very wet and cold and being snowed in a few times we decided on a Yeti with the view that we could upgrade to winter or all terrain tyres IF the Yeti did not come up to scratch on the supplied tyres.

I have also driven in London and Cambridge and been caravanning since 1979. Oh, also held HGV 1, 2 and 3 and Tracked vehicle licence and a bosuns ticket sailing and RYA jet ski etc etc

Never driven a bus though, does a 6 axle 80 ton mobile crane count? :giggle:

Still the same opinion though if you don't like the tyres you were supplied with CHANGE THEM  simples :think:

Edited by Jimbo55
  • Like 2

Here we go again, my first post was an observation and my opinion, which some on this forum decided I was not entitled to because my location was given as London. It is still my opinion that my vehicle has been marketed as an off road vehicle, and as evidence to back up why this is my opinion can be found in Skoda's own brochure and I quote "If driving off the beaten track appeals, at the mere push of the off-road button, the Yeti turns into a highly capable off-road vehicle. It is adept at climbing slippery slopes, descending steep hills and maintaining control on difficult terrain using the very latest 4x4 systems" If you want to climb slippery slopes then surely M & S tyres are best suited. I note that Skoda do not market the two wheel drive Yeti as an off road vehicle ('off Road' vehicle is Skoda's own terminology not mine) they do with the 4x4.

I have never said I don't like the tyres I have an opinion on their performance, i don't want to take them to bed I'll leave that to some of the other members of this forum. 

So can any of the members who tell me what facts I have got very wrong (What we are trying to do is explain exactly why he is incorrect in his views about tyres, their definitions and useage. Unfortunately he does not seem to appreciate that he has got some of his facts very wrong, and that some of us have a lot of experience in this field and know what we are talking about.).

Perhaps it was the fact that Land Rovers come as standard with all season M & S tyres, well as another member has proved Land Rover are of the opinion that they fit all season tryes to all of their vehicles they must have their facts wrong. The Goodyear wrangler is not an All season tyre, well someone should let Goodyear know as their website says it is.

Still what do I know I used to live in London so am not entitled to an opinion. I wouldn't expect to buy a Ferrari and find it's fitted with General Grabber AT2 tyres only to be told by the dealer If i wanted UHP tyres I should have asked. I still maintain its a reasonable assumption, and still my opinion, that a vehicle marketed as an off road vehicle should come as standard with all season tyres and the onus should  be on those who only want to use their Yeti on road to ask for summer tyres to be fitted. My opinion but then I used to live in London 

I used to live inside the M25 near Kingston on Thames.  Does that count? :hi:  Can I upgrade? :happy:

Otherwise, I rather feel Octavia55 has a valid point in the OP, as does oldstan in #51? :hi:  And Sporky in #55. :hi:  

Perhaps those with new Yetis on order should take note, and enquire from their dealer what tyres the vehicle is likely to be delivered on, and if that doesn't fit the expected usage, then ask for them to be re-specified to a more appropriate type for their own needs? 

Does the type of tyre fitted as OE to some extent depend on the wheel size specified?  E.G. When 17" wheels with low(er) profile tyres specified, does the manufacturer assume the prospective owner is more concerned with on-road than off-road performance and fit less general purpose tyres, and a type more suited or less compromised toward favouring road use? Do 16" wheeled Yetis tend to come delivered with a more general purpose type of tyre?  Or is there no difference?  Is there a difference between OE tyres fitted to 2WD vs. 4x4 Yetis?  (N.B. I'm using the term "4x4" here because that's what the badge on the tailgate says, not to imply any particular performance orientation).

I'm not trying to suggest that 17" wheels and road orientated tyres are of no use off-road. Quite the contrary. We all know that combination can work very adequately in all sorts of conditions, especially when fitted to a 4x4 Yeti with its sophisticated transmission. I'm just attempting to second-guess the thought process at the factory?  Also comparing to (say for example) the BMW X5, which in particular tends to be delivered with road performance orientated tyres on large diameter and (very) wide wheels, by nature of the vehicle itself and typical user pattern. Those then leave a number of UK owners perplexed why their "4x4" performs very poorly off-road and on other low-grip surfaces. Just wondering..... :wonder:

Edited by FlintstoneR1

I certainly don't think it's a particularly silly thing to expect, on balance, but I also understand why Skoda fit summer tyres as standard. While they do mention the Yeti's offroad abilities, the vast majority of Yetis will never go beyond parking on a grassy field, and thus the vast majority will perform better most of the time on summer tyres than on all season tyres.

It'd be interesting (well, mildly interesting) to know what sort of tyres come on all the crossovers - my guess is that the Juke, Qashqai, Q3, Q5, X1 and CX-5 will have summer tyres. But I could be wrong...

It takes two to make an argument and while I don't doubt the O/Ps understanding of tyre purposes it does seem that he bought a Yeti when he really wanted a land rover.

Indeed it does, JCP, you're right, of course.  Does it need to be an argument, though?

It could well be that the OP could or should have re-phrased some of his post and coloured the sense of the text differently. In fact I think that would have been a good idea. But, essentially, he was entitled to a view and an opinion.  I honestly think it was the way the post might have been interpreted at first reading that got the backs up of some contributors. But we're not all accomplished wordsmiths and it is easy to say one thing whilst meaning another when writing short pieces online or sending emails. We all know that and have all done it.

And the fact is octavia55 decided, rightly or wrongly, that he wanted a Yeti having, presumably, looked at the alternatives.  He might not have looked closely enough at what tyres it came with...in which case you could, justifiably, say he should have done so. Maybe he simply liked the look and the appeal of what it, ostensibly, offered. But I don't think it's right to say he should have bought a Land Rover instead as he probably looked at them and might have decided the Defender was totally unsuitable, the Range Rover far too big and expensive...ditto the Disco.....and that leaves the Freelander which is dearer, doesn't have a great reputation for reliability and, for all we know, was ruled out because it didn't fit in his garage?  (the latter being the case myself...the Yeti fits, the FL doesn't)....or he simply didn't fancy one?

The London thing is neither here nor there IMO.  I don't know if the detractors have lived in London for any length of time. I have.  The fact that you may or may not live in the Metropolis doesn’t preclude you from actually venturing out of it occasionally.  It certainly isn't as fierce an environment as many other, more remote, environments....obviously..... but both my Mrs and I have been stuck in urban places over the years due to a loss of grip in bad winter weather and if winter tyres would have been helpful and aided those sticky situations then we would have been grateful for them.  Alternatively it could be we weren't expert enough and would have been lost causes whatever tyres were fitted?

And it transpires the OP lives in Cambs. not London….I suppose it would have been marginally more helpful if that was noted in the information panel as the “London” thing wouldn’t have arisen then.  But if a Londoner wants WT’s they can have them – their choice - and it’s not for someone else to tell him otherwise. In my opinion, that is.

On a totally different, but related issue regarding speed rating on tyres, my understanding is it would only be an issue with the insurance company if the speed rating was lower than recommended by the manufacturer, not if it were higher.

On a totally different, but related issue regarding speed rating on tyres, my understanding is it would only be an issue with the insurance company if the speed rating was lower than recommended by the manufacturer, not if it were higher.

Absolutely.  The problem (perhaps) with the Goodyear 4Seasons is that there is no 225/50 R17 94W (standard spec on the 1.2 TSI Elegance) - just a 94V, with a lower speed rating.

Given that W is rated at 168 mph, and V at 149 mph (both impossible to reach, of course) it would seem ludicrous for an insurer to raise an objection.  Not that that would stop them from rejecting a claim if they possibly could, though.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, my neighbour's 60 plate diesel Freelander 2 is on Continental 4x4 Contacts. They're down to the wear bars, but look very "road" pattern tread.

I've just fitted Goodyear 4 Seasons ready for WRGB next week - but I don't go off-road, just use gravel/muddy tracks.

If I need to go off-road, I use my trusty Suzuki SJ 413 - on 188k and MT tyres :giggle:

We bought the Skoda as a shopping car, with the added advantage of four wheel drive to get up the hill to our house and steeply sloping drive in bad weather. I would never consider the Skoda to be an "off-roader" - not enough ground clearance for a start, but still very capable in the sort of conditions "most" people would expect.

I know very well what tyres can do - I nearly slid into a huge ditch back in April in Myherin on road tyres running on 12" of packed frozen snow on a highly cambered forestry gravel road. An hour later, digging with a plastic snow shovel :devil:  managed to get enough contact with terra firma for the rear wheels to grip.

That's why the Goodyears are on :sweat:

http://www.continental-tires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/car-tires/winter-tires/markings/markings_en.html

M & S does not mean Mud and Snow, it appears from the above to now mean MOUNTAIN and snow.

And having spent an interesting morning talking to my local tyre dealer and checking several new Land Rovers, the only one with an "off-road", All Season tyre was a 6 month old Defender on Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains. A 6 month old Discovery was on Pirelli Scorpion STR's, most definately NOT a winter, off-road tyre and a Range Rover was on Michelin Latitude's, which are the same.

But what do I know, I've only been driving for 43 years, towing for 25 years, teaching and assessing off-road driving for more than 10 years?

I'm out of here.

A 6 month old Discovery was on Pirelli Scorpion STR's, most definately NOT a winter, off-road tyre

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/suv/sheet/scorpion_str.html#!/sheet/overview

"Quiet and precise on the road, it is manoeuvrable and comfortable when used off road. Its compound of silica and natural rubber, combined with the functional symmetric tread pattern, make it effective on surfaces which are wet or lightly covered in snow."

"All-season safety with enhanced ride comfort, low noise level and high mileage"

They do mark it as predominantly a summer tyre, but specifically mention that it is suitable for use use off road and in snow.

Seriously though, why do so many conversations on the inferweb end up as to-the-death arguments?

Edited by Sporky McGuffin
  • Like 1

But they don't have the snowflake/mountain emblem on them.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/suv/sheet/scorpion_str.html#!/sheet/overview

Scorpion_STR.png
scorpion_str_big.png
SCORPION™ STR Ideal balance for road and moderate off road use
  • Summer
  • Power control
  • Touring

All-season safety with enhanced ride comfort, low noise level and high mileage

Not all Yeti's are 4x4.

Very few owners of 4x4 Yeti's will go off road

The tyres that are fitted are pefectly adequate for the use 99.99% of owners need.

MICHELIN Tyre Latitude series

Your 4x4 off-road tyre needs can be handled by the MICHELIN Latitude series. If you are looking specifically for cold weather tyres, look no further than the MICHELIN Latitude Alpin series. To find the right tyres for you, we recommend using the tyre selector. Simply enter a search by vehicle model or tyre dimension to find the ideal 4x4 tyre fitments for your vehicle.

From the micelin website, but what do they know, they probabley all come from london.

Winter tyre

Winter tyre requirements as well as the definition of a winter tyre differ significantly amongst the national EU laws. Harmonisation of the definition, as a first step and of the requirements as a second in order to align with the EU legislation, would be highly desirable to improve EU road safety.

Tyres marked "M+S" have tread and material designed in a way that driving performance on mud and in snow are better than with normal standard tyres.  This is a Manufacturer's declaration.

From November 2012:

Winter%20tyres%20symbol-small.jpgUNECE Regulation 117, to be implemented in the EU through Regulation (EC) 661/2009, requires for snow tyres a minimum level of performance threshold on snow (braking and traction).  If the tyre meets the criteria, it can be marked with the new three-peak snowflake symbol.

However, "M+S" will also remain an allowed marking, but not linked by law to a minimum threshold in winter conditions.

You and I will never agree on this matter.

I estimate I have driven several hundred miles off road in the 3 years I've had my Yeti, first on the Goodyears it came with and subsequently on the Kumho KU39's it has been fitted with since. That mileage has included hard forestry tracks to very wet grass fields to deep mud. It has also included many miles commuting in deep snow across Wales. Not once has the Yeti got stuck or given me any moments of concern, plus mine doesn't even have the off-road button or any other off-road equipment.

As far as I am concerned the 225/50r17 tyres fitted as standard are perfectly suitable for the car's needs.

http://www.continental-tires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/car-tires/winter-tires/markings/markings_en.html

M & S does not mean Mud and Snow, it appears from the above to now mean MOUNTAIN and snow.

And having spent an interesting morning talking to my local tyre dealer and checking several new Land Rovers, the only one with an "off-road", All Season tyre was a 6 month old Defender on Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains. A 6 month old Discovery was on Pirelli Scorpion STR's, most definately NOT a winter, off-road tyre and a Range Rover was on Michelin Latitude's, which are the same.

But what do I know, I've only been driving for 43 years, towing for 25 years, teaching and assessing off-road driving for more than 10 years?

I'm out of here.

You got to admit Graham, if you had a pound for every one of your forum flounces you could retire and not have to get up at three in the morning to let the trains go by....there have been a few.... :)

(note smiley...not intending to recommence WW3)

.....and here's another just to be sure....... :)

• Like 2

Much better tone to the discussion :blush:  I had my winters put on today-Nokian wr on spare Annapurnas.  not yet necessary but first outing two nights ago at 6.5c  so when time permitted |I retrieved them from the corner of work's underground car park where the set not in use sits in covers when not in the use.

I had them re-balanced and fitted for £10.

• 4 years later...

Ventured into a soft field in my Yeti for the first time since I fitted Michelin Cross Climates and soon got stuck.

All four wheels dug in a couple of inches and began to spin in mud despite off road button. Had to get pulled out by a tractor.

Not sure if the Haldex is playing up (the oil is due a change) or I need different tyres. Any suggestions?

Best suggestion is do not go onto soft muddy fields in the wrong vehicle with the wrong tyres on.

Have the Haldex checked out if you think it is not functioning, but likely it was the lack of Mud tyres and locking diffs that was all that was wrong.

Even these might not have got you out.

12621_Jimny_getting_Siroccos_021_2.jpg.47a9760ba8fc85f2859cee3fa9b10fb8.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Haha 1